New Tela Supplier and options

Kevin Whelan

Mar 5, 2018, 6:27:32 PM3/5/18
to Techies for schools
Just had a look through the new site and models and prices. plenty to choose from and even bag choices which is nice.
lenovo looks like a good alternative to HP and they seem to have more old style ports which is a plus
Obviously they are pushing the surface by matching the teacher base models in price
The apple prices seem to be still out of whack, I can't see  how a macbook air is really much different to a 840 G4 in retail so why the extra lease costs, same for ipad.
think were going to have to limit options or it will be a technicians nightmare trying to image all these choices

Mike Etheridge

Mar 5, 2018, 6:35:09 PM3/5/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
For a start, the Apple has an aluminium unibody instead of a couple of pieces of plastic slapped together with pk screws.

Mike

Craig Knights

Mar 5, 2018, 6:36:45 PM3/5/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hope those Targus bags have been replaced.  So many round here with torn out tops by the zips..

CJK

Mike Etheridge

Mar 5, 2018, 6:44:04 PM3/5/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Should have read the previous post properly. It is odd that the retail price is similar but the lease costs are way different. Probably a hugely reduced cost for the leasing company on bulk purchased HPs, whereas Apple is known for its rigid pricing. The real question is why is the retail on the HP similar to the Apple, when aluminium unibody etc etc

Mike

Simon Wright

Mar 5, 2018, 6:45:52 PM3/5/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, just had a discussion with our rector on these.
We would like to go Surface Pro, but at 3x the price over the base HP its a hard pill to swallow.
My guess on the microsoft and Apple pricing is that they dictate the retail pricing. There is only a very small margin for retailers on Microsoft and Apple products.

Would be nice to see Microsoft and i guess Apple for that matter come to the party and cut the bottom out of their personal margins for Education. Even if they came down by a third, it would be more palatable.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Simon Wright

Mar 5, 2018, 6:50:34 PM3/5/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Craig,

The HP backpacks don't fare any better after 3 years. For some teachers they barely last a year.

On 6 March 2018 at 12:27, Kevin Whelan <kwhel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just had a look through the new site and models and prices. plenty to choose from and even bag choices which is nice.
lenovo looks like a good alternative to HP and they seem to have more old style ports which is a plus
Obviously they are pushing the surface by matching the teacher base models in price
The apple prices seem to be still out of whack, I can't see  how a macbook air is really much different to a 840 G4 in retail so why the extra lease costs, same for ipad.
think were going to have to limit options or it will be a technicians nightmare trying to image all these choices

Nick Steenson

Mar 5, 2018, 6:52:49 PM3/5/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Simon, I've had FAR more issues with the Targus bags than the HPs, or at least with the last generation bags (replaced 5-6 targus bags, only one HP, and that was after he fell off a mountain bike and landed on it).

That said the new generation HP bags don't feel as sturdy. Targus is largely unchanged.

Nick

Nick Steenson
IT Manager
Mt Aspiring College
p:+643 443 0463 (Ext 830)
w:https://nick.mtaspiring.school.nz/
e:stee...@mtaspiring.school.nz

Simon Wright

Mar 5, 2018, 7:08:09 PM3/5/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Out of curiosity, how many of you still relay on VGA connections to your projectors? for us its the vast majority unfortunately.

Looking at the list of devices, only the HP 840/850 and lenovo L470 have VGA ports, the rest don't.
Was just speaking with Tela and they don't supply any dongles/adapters. What's written in the description is what's included.
I have asked that they look into supplying a VGA dongle say as an option on checkout for the specific device.

Aslo, depending on your wireless coverage, a lot of these device don't have LAN ports either. Just something else to note.

--
Nick Steenson
IT Manager
Mt Aspiring College
p:+643 443 0463 (Ext 830)
w:https://nick.mtaspiring.school.nz/
e:stee...@mtaspiring.school.nz

Andrew Godfrey

Mar 5, 2018, 7:27:51 PM3/5/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We are still VGA site-wide and have a supply of Apple displayport and HDMI to VGA adapters for visitors and other oddballs with the Digitech AC-1724 in particular working really well. Have yet to find a good USBc-VGA but may have to cobble together a USBc-HDMI and HDMI-VGA for those rare times it is required.

Probably move over to HP though as the Tosh is no longer available. We may have got some of the last Toshiba A50 models with 135 changed over during the holidays so VGA isn't going to be a big problem in the next three years.

Wireless only isn't an issue for us as it seems to be running quite smoothly (crossed fingers).

Andrew Godfrey  |  Network Manager

Kevin Whelan

Mar 5, 2018, 8:47:40 PM3/5/18
to Techies for schools
very much vga still, dongles are a huge extra cost and hassle as they get stolen a lot, we trained people away from cd drives but vga isn't quite so easy, USB C is even worse, having to have an adapter for a usb drive or replace them all, and most of them need a hub to charge at the same time,laughable design really, Lenovo seem to be the only ones resisting

Patrick Dunford

Mar 5, 2018, 8:52:47 PM3/5/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Quite often these days that VGA port in a laptop will not drive a 10 metre cable. We have had teachers having to use DisplayPort to VGA adapters on the HP laptops to get a worlkable solution.

Yvette Ireton

Mar 5, 2018, 8:58:16 PM3/5/18
to techies-for-schools
I notice the picture they have displayed on the Tela+ website for the HP EliteBook 850 G5 Laptop shows a VGA port..yet it sounds/reads like there isn't one.
--
Network Manager
Golden Bay High School

Simon Wright

Mar 5, 2018, 9:00:51 PM3/5/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We haven't had a problem with the HPs driving 10+ meters of VGA cable. A lot are 15+ meters.
As a side, we have been using the concord vga cables from jaycar, work well, plus we use a short male to female sacrificial cable on the desk end as teacher don't treat them well.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

Simon Wright

Craig Knights

Mar 5, 2018, 9:01:56 PM3/5/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
the Jaycar HDMI, the plugs don't last well.

Simon Wright

Simon Wright

Mar 5, 2018, 9:14:04 PM3/5/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Now i'm lost. the quick specs for both G5 models don't have VGA, and they are also a different design to what's pictured.
Be nice to know the model number.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

Simon Wright

Sam McNeill

Mar 5, 2018, 9:44:13 PM3/5/18
to Techies for schools
This topic has swerved off to display adaptors etc rather than TELA so I throw in a question  around the new focus....

Are any schools using Vivi? https://www.vivi.io/

I suspect they're costly, but I was on a different Edu forum this morning in Australia and read a lengthy thread about IT admins saying they're great, got completely rid of HDMI cables and dongles etc, cross platform, the works.

Sounds too good to be true - would be interested if any on this group have trialled them?

Cheers,
Sam

Craig Knights

Mar 5, 2018, 9:47:34 PM3/5/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I just filled in their demo please form..

Craig

Nick Steenson

Mar 5, 2018, 9:47:50 PM3/5/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Honestly I just wish Chromecasts could be enrolled in CMC and managed for access/visibility only to certain groups. I'm sure with a complex VLAN setup they could be limited to teachers, but seems like a lot of effort to fix one issue. They're cross platform and super cheap.

But I'm open to looking at other options!

Nick

Simon Wright

Mar 5, 2018, 10:37:22 PM3/5/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I've been playing with a Airtame on and off for years now. Originally backed it on Indiegogo.
It's come a long way software wise. I've never had it working reliably enough in the past for a teacher to continuously use it. Though now that we have new and decent wireless and they have released their 3rd version of the software, testing the other day, its certainly seems better.
The biggest issue is with video playback and that you get a really frame-y (hard to describe) stream because the laptop has to do a lot of heavy lifting when it comes to capturing the screen so many times per second, compress, then send to the device over wifi.
The Airtame app can give you a lot of control over the quality settings and the devices can be centrally managed online and even push firmware updates.

I'm putting forward to airtame a feature request based on some functionality that like from AirParrot. Instead of wasting local resources capturing the screen when playing a video, just have the ability to send the video file to the airtame and have it decode on the device with playback control in the app. The second one is to add support for the chromecast protocol, so you can cast youtube clips to it, again to not tax the computer with screen capturing and sending over wifi.

If they could do that, it would be the ultimate wireless display dongle.

These aren't cheap either, anywhere between ~$415 NZ before shipping from amazon or ~$458-$510 NZ direct from airtame (before shipping)

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

Patrick Dunford

Mar 6, 2018, 1:36:26 AM3/6/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Depends on model but I have seen this particularly with ones with an AMD chipset and also seen this on other computers with AMD chipsets. Another thing they will keep doing is disconnecting the external display, when used with a long VGA cable, or HDMI cable connected to a HDMI splitter instead of direct to a projector.

A PC with a display card doesn't give these problems.

Kevin Whelan

Mar 6, 2018, 2:06:22 PM3/6/18
to Techies for schools
Out of curiosity would any one of us look at buying acer for their school. They keep pushing hard at edu market and are obviously big in AU but my experiences with acer have been far from impressed with them
maybe on a BYOD device but I'd lose sleep if the school was Acer I think.

Kevin Whelan

Mar 6, 2018, 2:08:57 PM3/6/18
to Techies for schools
Which Tela devices have AMD, havn't seen AMD in years except in graphics cards

Patrick Dunford

Mar 6, 2018, 2:10:30 PM3/6/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
The extra cost models (not the base ones) or the ones they offer for a principal - the HP 850 model IIRC (the base ones are 840 I think?)

Craig Knights

Mar 6, 2018, 2:19:56 PM3/6/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I had some Acer business grade desktops a few years back.  Actually a nice machine.  I think with Acer their cheap stuff is cheap... the business stuff is much better quality.

Ymmv
Craig

Simon Wright

Mar 6, 2018, 3:08:53 PM3/6/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I know what you mean Kevin,

I spent a lot of time in the early part of my career fixing Acer's (among many others) and grew to hate them.
Though following from what Craig saying about the business vs consumer, the ones i was fixing were indeed consumer. The same goes for HP really, the business ones maybe more expensive, have less spec than their consumer counterparts, but a far more reliable.

On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 7:36:26 PM UTC+13, Patrick Dunford wrote:
Depends on model but I have seen this particularly with ones with an AMD chipset and also seen this on other computers with AMD chipsets. Another thing they will keep doing is disconnecting the external display, when used with a long VGA cable, or HDMI cable connected to a HDMI splitter instead of direct to a projector.

A PC with a display card doesn't give these problems.

Craig Knights

Mar 6, 2018, 3:11:13 PM3/6/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I think it was Acer and Dell that first hit the under $1000 mark from Warehouse Stationery, that's when the boys here started getting them.  They were always needing new HDD's.  Awful reliability.

Craig

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Patrick Dunford

Mar 6, 2018, 3:34:02 PM3/6/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Always liked the Elitebooks with the way they can be taken apart easily to be serviced, they extended their tool-less desktop chassis philosophy to the laptop :)

I have an Elitepad tablet - made to be serviceable - held together with magnets and the internal components easy to replace. Parts probably expensive though :)

Jake Wills

Mar 6, 2018, 4:17:59 PM3/6/18
to Techies for schools
If someone hears back about the VGA on the HP if you could let us know please... will save us all asking :)
I just assumed it did as it was front and centre on the photograph!

Simon Wright

Mar 6, 2018, 4:21:17 PM3/6/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Will do, ive put the question forward through a back channel at cyclone as well as through the helpdesk.

[...]

Message has been deleted

Kevin Whelan

Mar 6, 2018, 4:55:17 PM3/6/18
to Techies for schools
http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/laptops/elitebook-840#!&tab=vao
it appears the G4 did and the G5 doesnt

specs of G5 are no displayport and vga but a hdmi, that would be a first for HP who were displayport mad

Craig Knights

Mar 6, 2018, 4:58:19 PM3/6/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
OK, I have a Vivi demo unit on the way..  Will report back when I've had a play.

ta
Craig

Mike Etheridge

Mar 6, 2018, 4:59:11 PM3/6/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Got a quote or indicative pricing?

Mike

Craig Knights

Mar 6, 2018, 5:01:49 PM3/6/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
An indication of AUD $265 / yr for 3 years minimum.  Some options for a 1 year proof of concept try out..

They're not in NZ yet, but keen to be.

thanks,
Craig

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 10:21:17 AM UTC+13, Simon - OBHS wrote:
Will do, ive put the question forward through a back channel at cyclone as well as through the helpdesk.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

Simon Wright

Mar 6, 2018, 5:25:57 PM3/6/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
i'm about to have a phone call from them.

Is that price per unit?

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

Brett Thomson

Mar 6, 2018, 5:57:40 PM3/6/18
to Techies for schools

Looks like TELA has updated their page to say (NO VGA) on the HP 850 G5. And updated the photos.

Cheers,

Brett

Simon Wright

Craig Knights

Mar 6, 2018, 6:05:47 PM3/6/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Yes.

Is that price per unit?
DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Craig Knights

Mar 6, 2018, 6:07:04 PM3/6/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to spin this thread off to it's own one...

ta
CJK

Jake Wills

Mar 6, 2018, 6:18:11 PM3/6/18
to Techies for schools
Thanks Simon

Simon Wright

Mar 8, 2018, 3:08:32 PM3/8/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Just to confirm as was updated on the Tela site, the HP EliteBook 840 & 850 model DO NOT have VGA ports.
The only model that does is the Lenovo L470.

At the last communica i had yesterday, Tela are talking with the Ministry about supplying VGA adapters, no time frame on that though.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to techies-for-schools+unsubscribe...@googlegroups.com.

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Alistair Baird

Mar 8, 2018, 3:19:48 PM3/8/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Having now just looked at options for our refresh, there is only one option for 15.6" screen for Windows users, not two as before.
--
Alistair Baird
IT Manager

Kevin Whelan

Mar 8, 2018, 8:09:26 PM3/8/18
to Techies for schools
Not really, Toshiba wasn't a serious option Surely :)

Matt Strickland

Mar 9, 2018, 12:27:23 AM3/9/18
to Techies for schools
How do you go about offering differing models to staff?
We had an open system, I used to send the catalogue to those staff, they could pick any device but had to pay the difference between the base model (usually the HP 840) and the device they wanted.

But the new catalogue doc doesn't include pricing (pricing seems only visible when you create an order)

What restrictions does your school have in place for various devices and pricing?

Matt

Simon Wright

Mar 9, 2018, 12:54:45 AM3/9/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We don't offer a choice, they all get the 840 bar some teacher's who get the 850 for the discrete graphics (media studies, dvc, etc).
However this time we want to open it up to offer the likes of the X2 for being more tablet like with touch and pen. We don't have the budget to allow all 36 I need to renew in the next two weeks to have an X2.
We would like to offer the surface pro to all but we would have to triple our budget for that.
We will have to address the budget for next year.

With allowing teachers to pay the difference, how do you manage that? Do they have to pay the full difference up front? If monthly or quarterly and if they leave before the end of the lease, does the next person have to pay the difference?
I like to remind staff that the laptop isn't theirs and belongs to the position.

Jeffrey B

Mar 9, 2018, 1:04:20 AM3/9/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Don't touch the hp x2 with a barge poll, they are rubbish.  Weak wifi cards and terrible drivers that keep being killed by windows update.  Painfully breakable and not very precise styluses.  Firmware update after firmware update.  Keyboards and touchpads that die through said needed updates etc.

We have some that have had hours of tech time spent on them and had so many service calls I have lost count.

The teachers no longer want to even use them, we have several that we are trapped in the lease for with no feasable way out.  If anyone wanted  to take over a few of their leases for the remaining two years that would be great.

Jeffrey.

Alistair Baird

Mar 9, 2018, 1:10:33 AM3/9/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Our BOT have only paid the base model dxcept a couple of key positions. You can print the price list, but at one machine per page, it's a waste of paper. I just hand wrote on the catalogue and walked around each staff and co-erced them to choosing an HP or Apple. Some prefer the larger screen, and they pay the difference - especially the Apple's. The accounts office take care of charging and following up non payment. I take care of ordering. I prefer the HP as the reimaging is fairly straight forward and I download the driver package from HP business website. I steered away from Toshiba because they didn't offer on-site repair, and Apple users can never be swayed any other way.

It is the school's laptop, and when someone leaves, then the school has to suck up the difference if the incoming can't be pursuaded. I have managed to do deals swapping around when one of our teachers left with a 6 month old Macbook Pro.

Just put in our order the other day only for them all to be on back order till the end of the month.

On Friday, 9 March 2018, Simon Wright <simon....@obhs.school.nz> wrote:
[...]

Simon Wright

Mar 9, 2018, 1:18:31 AM3/9/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Good to know about the X2. I was thinking about the Acer Spin, but I've never been a fan of Acer and I just don't know the product and don't want to get stuck with them for 3 years.
Thinking it's just easier sticking with the status quo of hp elite books.

End of month for the hp's? They said they are due 15th earlier this week (at the earliest).
I've got 36 laptops to go back by the end of the month. Not to mention having to buy a VGA adapter for the new ones. That's a good $2K Worth.

--
Alistair Baird
IT Manager

Patrick Dunford

Mar 9, 2018, 5:57:14 AM3/9/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Always used to be the cheapest Hp except for the DP who got an 850 (as
did the principal under the leadspace scheme)

At one school they approved Macbooks for the music and arts departments
only, a total of 3 or 4 staff. There was talk in one school of the
merits of Macbooks, but being locked into the lease for three years,
should the teacher leave and their replacement didnn't like a Mac.
Although these days you can install Windows on a Macbook so that would
have been a possibility.

One school I worked at closed, for the last year of working there I had
a spare Imac sitting in the office running Ubuntu that I used to play my
music on while I worked, that was something different.

Patrick Dunford

Mar 9, 2018, 5:58:32 AM3/9/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Since you can install Windows on a Macbook these days, there's another
option.
Message has been deleted

Kevin Whelan

Mar 11, 2018, 3:30:08 PM3/11/18
to Techies for schools
my suggestion would be to wipe completely install bare windows, add only any missing drivers from hp and try that. leave all the HP stuff out of the equation. may even need a bios/firmware downgrade. Seems a waste to have given up on. I could confirm what bios and driver versions we have currently if its any help but you may have an early generation as ours came last spring.

Kevin Whelan

Mar 11, 2018, 3:43:32 PM3/11/18
to Techies for schools
we got 6 HPx2 in for a trial last round and havn't had a single issue yet in 6 months, teachers love them and have changed their teaching style completely because of them.been impressed with how the teachers have decided to rethink there teaching style because of a pen certainly enthusiastic so we gave them an apple tv to make them more portable in their room during presentations. Had to factor in a usb-c multihub to provide ethernet, usb, hdmi and usb while charging so thats another cost and some teachers would struggle with the default resolution being too small so I would suggest a trial before a wholesale purchase so people can see and decide before wasting extra lease money.
 Going to be an issue going forward as they have talked them up so much to the other staff
HPs in general firmware/drivers and bioses  -  if it aint broke don't update it, Ive had similar issues with HP AIO desktops with drivers and bioses etc but the x2 touchwood have been fine and a lot cheaper than a surface.

Jeffrey B

Mar 11, 2018, 3:51:32 PM3/11/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Wow, you have had some luck hopefully it persists for you.  As to the firmware, it was broken and needed fixing.  Wifi was that unreliable that it could not reliably stay connected to an ap in the same room.  It is still junk with miracast even now and there was the ugly vpro vunrability then the soundcard driver keylogger.  The nibs keep falling out of the styluses and they keep failing, getting random inputs from the nib.  The stylus screw together points keep jamming and they burn through batteries like a portable fan.

Having the stylus is great, especially if using something like onenote but honestly the little $500 lenovo n24 is just as good at stylus support.  The surface blows it out of the water its just ashame about the cost limiting its practicality.

Simon Wright

Mar 11, 2018, 4:00:32 PM3/11/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Jeffrey,

What model X2's do you have?

On 9/03/2018 7:04 PM, "Jeffrey B" <sensat...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Don't touch the hp x2 with a barge poll, they are rubbish.  Weak wifi cards and terrible drivers that keep being killed by windows update.  Painfully breakable and not very precise styluses.  Firmware update after firmware update.  Keyboards and touchpads that die through said needed updates etc.

We have some that have had hours of tech time spent on them and had so many service calls I have lost count.

The teachers no longer want to even use them, we have several that we are trapped in the lease for with no feasable way out.  If anyone wanted  to take over a few of their leases for the remaining two years that would be great.

Jeffrey.

Matt Strickland

Mar 11, 2018, 6:18:46 PM3/11/18
to Techies for schools
We have 2 x x2's and we have only had minor annoyance issues:

The only issue I had was the camera driver - I think the Intel Skycam driver from memory needed updating (or reinstalling) to enable the front-facing camera (and the button to switch)
I did purchase the HP travel hubs as these were not provided for the G1, so they can project and charge at the same time.

One of our styluses did break but the teacher threw it across the room by accident and it hit the wall pushing the nib into the pen.

Matt

On Friday, 9 March 2018 19:04:20 UTC+13, synack wrote:
Don't touch the hp x2 with a barge poll, they are rubbish.  Weak wifi cards and terrible drivers that keep being killed by windows update.  Painfully breakable and not very precise styluses.  Firmware update after firmware update.  Keyboards and touchpads that die through said needed updates etc.

We have some that have had hours of tech time spent on them and had so many service calls I have lost count.

The teachers no longer want to even use them, we have several that we are trapped in the lease for with no feasable way out.  If anyone wanted  to take over a few of their leases for the remaining two years that would be great.

Jeffrey.

Mike Etheridge

Mar 11, 2018, 6:29:39 PM3/11/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
*snort*
Message has been deleted

Matt Strickland

Mar 11, 2018, 7:34:57 PM3/11/18
to Techies for schools
Yes Mike, lets put that another way:

The teacher is charismatic and passionate about mathematics so during a class session and with some creative hand and arm waving, the stylus left the hand in a rather spectacular way.

Matt

Yvette Ireton

Mar 11, 2018, 8:17:14 PM3/11/18
to techies-for-schools
Tela+ just informed me:
  As you aware the HP Elitebook 850G5 laptops do not ship with the HDMI to VGA adapter. This is because VGA is now deemed as legacy technology. We are not aware that the Ministry have any plans to supply these adaptors.
--
Network Manager
Golden Bay High School

Nick Steenson

Mar 11, 2018, 8:21:21 PM3/11/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

--
Network Manager
Golden Bay High School
12 Waitapu Road, Takaka 7110
Ph:  03 525 9914
http://www.gbh.school.nz

Nick Steenson
IT Manager
Mt Aspiring College
p:+643 443 0463 (Ext 830)
w:https://nick.mtaspiring.school.nz/
e:stee...@mtaspiring.school.nz

Simon Wright

Pete Eaton

Mar 11, 2018, 8:38:38 PM3/11/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We’ve used the Kanex USB-c to VGA on our MacBook Pros and found them reliable:

Pete

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to techies-for-sch...@googlegroups.com.

Patrick Dunford

Mar 11, 2018, 9:50:00 PM3/11/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
When it used to be DisplayPort, I seem to remember they stopped shipping those adapters along with DVD drives
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to techies-for-sch...@googlegroups.com.

Matt Strickland

Mar 12, 2018, 3:57:21 PM3/12/18
to Techies for schools
Hopefully they offer a nice format to export to send pricing to staff

Just tried 'print friendly' and you get a horrible 14 pages (I usually export to PDF)
Or copy/export to text and you get a bit of a mess.

I used to just send the old catalog by mail and say 'get back to me on what model by XXX'

Looks easy to order/manage, just not as nice to share the content with teachers.

Matt

Landyn Frisby

Patrick Dunford

Mar 12, 2018, 9:40:50 PM3/12/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Toshiba stayed with plastic and their latest Z series I think it it was, was most unimpressive and probably fitted the description best, compared to their earlier models.

You pay a premium for the Apple name, mostly. There is almost no difference in the hardware.

Mike Etheridge

Mar 12, 2018, 10:35:46 PM3/12/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
You can imagine that a “military grade” (what the heck does that mean?) mixture of magnesium alloy and plastic stuck together to make the HP chassis is the same thing as a chassis made from a single piece of aluminium if you like. It’s not a unibody.

Mike

Patrick Dunford

Mar 12, 2018, 11:41:22 PM3/12/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

No it's not. But I can't see why people are prepared to pay premium pricing for something was milled at great expense out of a solid piece of aluminium. Maybe the aluminium doesn't break if you drop it, but everything else does.

Pete Mundy

Mar 13, 2018, 12:15:22 AM3/13/18
to techies-for-schools@googlegroups.com schools

I'm carrying the same 11" MacBook Air I've had since 2011. Yep, almost 7 years old! I'm such a tight arse.

If I've dropped it once I've dropped it a hundred times. It's got bent corners & missing keycaps. It's been all over the show, including to half a dozen Kiwicons (and has the stickers to prove it!).

It's on it's second battery; but other than that it's still going strong! And I knew it would be. THAT's why I was willing it pay the premium.

And I reckon I'll get a couple more years out of it yet... (tight arse).

Pete
signature.asc

Jeffrey B

Simon Wright

Mar 13, 2018, 4:05:24 PM3/13/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Just to confirm are you saying gen 1 and gen 2 models?
We are going to take a punt with them. I may have to resign if it all fails, haha.

[...]

ictdi...@kowhai.school.nz

ictdi...@kowhai.school.nz

Mar 13, 2018, 5:04:29 PM3/13/18
to Techies for schools
I've been well impressed with their chromebooks - we have 300+ c700 range school owned devices and I've only come across 2 manufacturer faults. They are transferred between classes and get a huge amount of use and abuse and have held up well. Can't talk to any of their other products though...

On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 08:06:22 UTC+13, Kevin Whelan wrote:
Out of curiosity would any one of us look at buying acer for their school. They keep pushing hard at edu market and are obviously big in AU but my experiences with acer have been far from impressed with them
maybe on a BYOD device but I'd lose sleep if the school was Acer I think.

ictdi...@kowhai.school.nz

Simon Wright

Mar 13, 2018, 7:29:45 PM3/13/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Can't say we have had any issues with VGA ports on the 840 G3's or any prior models, even on 15m cables. Years back we did, but found it was the cable itself. We had a lot of 'cheap' cables and found the Concord ones from jaycar to work perfectly.

i know what you mean ictdirector@kowhai. Thats the way i had been running it, everyone with the same laptop, mostly 840's and the ones that required a bit more graphic power (media studies, dvc) got the 850's, it make management a lot easier.
This time around, we are trying to be a bit more progressive, not to mention some staff have been asking for tablets. While we would like to have offered the Surface Pro, at 3x the price over the 840, we just didn't have it in the budget for this year, but we could swing a certain number of Elite X2's.
While there seems to be a split on people liking them the X2's vs not liking them on this thread. I'm willing to take a punt on them which may or may not come back to haunt me. I didn't want to wait another 2-3 years for the next renewal set to try then.

So my biggest set/group of 36 has been ordered, 14x  X2 tablets and 22x 840 laptops (not a bad split). Hoping the stock is on track for arriving by the end of the week. Have also placed an order for some HP Travel Hubs for the tablets and HP USB-C to VGA adapters for the laptops, though these aren't in stock till late the following week. This gives me a week to get everything imaged and sorted before the end of the month when this lot is due.

On 14 March 2018 at 10:11, <ictdi...@kowhai.school.nz> wrote:
[...]

prin...@harrisville.school.nz

Mar 13, 2018, 7:41:09 PM3/13/18
to Techies for schools
We have ordered and received 11 x Acer Spin 5 for the versatility of a convertible/ touch/ pen enabled device. I believe Acer is the best value option on TELA. Our Acer chromebooks have been super reliable and service is great when we need them so I see no reason this won’t continue with our TELA machines. Great looking machine, our teachers are loving them so far - would highly recommend schools consider this option.

Patrick Dunford

Mar 13, 2018, 10:41:25 PM3/13/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Could well be the same issue as the school I worked with was experiencing, they issued the dongles to a lot of staff.

Patrick Dunford

Mar 13, 2018, 10:43:49 PM3/13/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We use good VGA quality cables that we buy from Dynamix, never had
problems before, have driven 20 metres on their cables at times, the
laptop was definitely the problem.

Simon Wright

Mar 14, 2018, 9:31:47 PM3/14/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone received any devices from tela since the take over?

I just called up to see if i could get them not to not bother putting their image on and just to ship the HP devices when they arrive in as i will put our image on when they arrive.

I was told that they no longer image them.

Now because i had some different questions i wanted to ask, i didn't probe into that statement any further as i thought, great, there shouldn't be a day or two delay while they image them before sending back out.

For probably good number of us, it has no effect as we roll our own images through MDT, System Center, or whatever. But there are those on here who don't, even though every time they ask questions, we always seem to tell them they should be.

Just curious if this will be an issue for any of our listeners out there. Caller one, go ahead...

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

Julian Davison

Mar 14, 2018, 9:35:06 PM3/14/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
If they're really not imaging them it may leave a bunch of people puzzled as their shiny new laptops don't have any of the software they've come to expect.
I've worked with a number of (particularly primary) schools with a 'small' number of teachers who just used the TELA image as it was supplied. I hope they're not caught unawares and unprepared.

Alistair Baird

Mar 14, 2018, 9:38:22 PM3/14/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I have had ours on "back order" since begining of the month. Still waiting for them, despite two models not being back ordered. I have to ring the lease company and tell them we need another month free as they haven't shipped (despite me trying to get them in February)
--
Alistair Baird
IT Manager

Simon Wright

Simon Wright

Mar 14, 2018, 9:43:01 PM3/14/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
For the HPs they are still saying they should be in end of this week, start of next and should be shipped to us by end of next.
I've already spoken to the leasing company saying we maybe pushing it to get the current ones back by end of month/lease. They are very reasonable and accommodating about this. I also have to make sure any broken laptops are logged before the end of the month.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

--
Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College

Alistair Baird

Mar 14, 2018, 9:43:14 PM3/14/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
" Ministry application licensing support will continue, but in keeping with their direction towards cloud services, no TELA+ device will ship with a software image pre-loaded. Deployment will now be via the web."

It's number 8 on their What's Different pdf.

Julian Davison

Mar 14, 2018, 9:45:50 PM3/14/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Excuse me, this is a technical group, reading the documentation is not to be tolerated!

--
Alistair Baird
IT Manager

Sam McNeill

Mar 14, 2018, 9:47:29 PM3/14/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
No images will be installed on the devices (can definitely confirm that).

I know of schools that have received Acer and Surface devices already for certain... not sure about other OEM units....

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Techies for schools" group.

Mike Etheridge

Mar 14, 2018, 9:48:33 PM3/14/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
True that. *sigh*

Simon Wright

Mar 14, 2018, 9:48:44 PM3/14/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Julian: haha,

Alistair: well there we go, a definite answer.

Just on the case of imaging, for those doing HP devices, here is the driver pack link, so you don't have to download each individual driver and potentially miss one:

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

Tim Harper

Mar 14, 2018, 9:55:01 PM3/14/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Correct - no image other than the factory default image will be on a device.  I was told this in my CLA role by Cyclone.

Now we just need a funded universal image manager for every school to use!

regards,

Tim Harper

Phone 03 443 5167 (messages cannot be left on this number)
Mobile 027 443 1236

t...@mtaspiring.school.nz
www.mtaspiring.school.nz

Andrew Godfrey

Mar 14, 2018, 10:00:06 PM3/14/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Then there was this support email that I got yesterday:

Hi Andrew,

Correct.
Received confirmation that the HP 850 laptops have arrived at the warehouse.
They will now image them then start shipping.

Kind Regards,

Now a matter of wait and see I suppose. (Not that it's relevant for us either but others may be a bit perturbed)

Alistair Baird

Mar 14, 2018, 10:12:43 PM3/14/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Only problem Simon is the driver pack for the 840 G5 only supports Windows 10, yet the aforementioned documentation says they will continue to support windows 7 (I myself want windows 8). Normally the extracted drivers seem to work for me.

Simon Wright

Alistair Baird

Mar 14, 2018, 10:37:46 PM3/14/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Time!

je...@apps.eggs.school.nz

Mar 21, 2018, 3:09:25 PM3/21/18
to Techies for schools
Hi Andrew

Did you received the HP 850's that you were expecting?  We have quite a number on back-order and now this model is not available on the Tela website.

Many thanks,
Joanne Eden
Epsom Girls Grammar Schoo'
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to techies-for-schools+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
[...]

Simon Wright

Andrew Godfrey

Mar 23, 2018, 4:30:51 PM3/23/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
They did have some arrive a week ago but they went out to other schools - first in, first served they said. I ordered only 1 and that was 6th March. When did your orders go in Joanne and Simon?

Andrew Godfrey  |  Network Manager

It is loading more messages.