Adobe CC "BYOD" licensing vs EEA agreements

Sam McNeill

Apr 12, 2016, 12:55:38 AM4/12/16
to Techies for schools
Hi all,

I'd be interested in some thoughts from other schools that have tackled this already.

our current EEA "site wide license" expires in June. I've talked with Adobe today and they've strongly encouraged us to ditch this (to the point of basically saying they won't renew it and that it would in all probability be cheaper to go with the $34/head license anyway).

They mentioned another large secondary school as an example of a school that went to the new licensing model as it was more affordable.

I talked to this school and found they purchased 350 seats @ $34 for staff laptops and computer suites = $11,900 (they did not even bother with BYOD at this stage).

This compares to the $6,200 we paid last year for a site wide license ... which resulted in us putting Adobe CC on our standard staff image, standard laptop pod image (~130) , and the 2-3 computer (~90) suites we still have. Whilst we now have 4 years (~800 students) on compulsory BYOD we have not explored this in seriousness at this stage in terms of licensing on the new Adobe programme.

I know that we could have two Adobe agreements running - one for school owned devices, and one for students. Perhaps we would do an EEA agreement for school owned devices (since on the numbers above it clearly still stacks up cheaper) and one for BYOD if we wanted to go down this pathway. We currently don't run a BYOD app deployment and licensing service (Casper, Filewave, SCCM etc) so I foresee a significant level of management for these licenses (managing it all through the Adobe portal to enable / disable licenses for school leavers or those that choose not to renew their license sounds like hard work although I'm happy to be proven wrong on this).

Lastly - I certainly applaud Adobe for coming up with a great price on BYOD licensing - I think that is great. However, for schools that have large install bases i think the economics for EEA agreements makes far, far more sense.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Sam

Keith Craig

Apr 12, 2016, 3:26:46 AM4/12/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I suspect that they are working on the assumption that the students who want/need the Adobe suite will license it themselves.

--
Keith Craig BCom PGDipBus(IS) CNE
Systems Administrator

Matthew Strickland

Apr 12, 2016, 5:32:09 PM4/12/16
to Techies for schools
I haven't seen the management portal yet as we have decided to keep running with Creative Suite this year (site license) - CS imaged on most school owned devices.
Pricing was indicated to us at around $32 for 400 seats over 12 months for switching to CC - (so almost 13k per year)

I assume management would probably be de-licensing leavers (unless we could have some sort of azure plugin), and limited to one per student?

Was there a minimum seat count for 'the teams' licensing for education? If so this would make or break a split agreement deal (all depending on numbers)

Matt
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to techies-for-schools+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Sam McNeill

Apr 12, 2016, 6:26:32 PM4/12/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

Not sure about the 'teams' licensing. The new model requires a minimum of 100 users for the $32/seat. If you ordered say 150 seats and then had new students or staff that required it, you can't order another 10 - minimum upsize is another 100 users.

Cheers
Sam