Fake/Impersonating School Facebook/Social Pages

Nick Steenson

May 29, 2017, 5:33:06 PM5/29/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I'm facing an issue that I'm sure many other schools do or will do at some point, where a fake/false copy of our Facebook page has been made as a "Community" on Facebook, borrowing our Logos & banners etc while posting inappropriate content. I ask that you don't go looking for it, as it just lends it search priority/credence, but suffice to say we've had quite a few emails/comments/complaints made about it. Most of these understand that it's not an official page, but seem to think we have some direct control over it anyway.

We've reported it to Facebook, who have said it doesn't break their inappropriate content guidelines (as there's no nudity etc), reported it to their IP/Copyright team (no response yet), reported it and talked to NetSafe, as well as asked for the Police's input. We've looked at identifying the admins (not easy), but sent a message to them asking it be changed (worked briefly, but it's since been changed back).

I don't think sending a message out to parents or the community drawing attention to the site is a good idea, as it'll just send more eyes to it. Right?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Nick

--
Nick Steenson
ICT Technician

Simon Wright

May 29, 2017, 5:42:32 PM5/29/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We have had the same thing in the past. Facebook are not helpful at all with this. We just got as many staff members as possible to individual put in a complaint for the page(s). Not actually sure if it really did anything, but if you ignore it, eventually it will go as likely its a student who created it and they will soon get bored of it and it will fade away.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Matt Strickland

May 29, 2017, 5:44:13 PM5/29/17
to Techies for schools
Hi Nick,

We had similar issues but the only way to mitigate it was to heavily promote the official page; links on website, regular posts, pushing via apps, getting students to interact with the official site.
Its about the only thing I can think of as I think its quite a time waster chasing around other options.

Matt

Mike Etheridge

May 29, 2017, 5:48:32 PM5/29/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
This is what we did. The admins seem to think its a great wheeze at first, but pretty soon apparently get bored with maintaining their pages, it becomes static and everyone loses interest and the problem goes away.

Mike

Nick Steenson

May 29, 2017, 6:02:45 PM5/29/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
This is a resurgence of a long-running page (which has been back and forth from a "Memes" page to a Copy/Fake page over the years). Of course I understand that we can't do much more to "take it down", but those that complain haven't thought that through.

Good suggestions too, honestly this is just backing up what I've said to management here about the issue already.

Nick

Alistair Baird

May 29, 2017, 11:10:57 PM5/29/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Where's the digital copyright act when you need it...

On 30/05/2017, at 9:41 AM, Simon Wright <simon....@obhs.school.nz> wrote:

We have had the same thing in the past. Facebook are not helpful at all with this. We just got as many staff members as possible to individual put in a complaint for the page(s). Not actually sure if it really did anything, but if you ignore it, eventually it will go as likely its a student who created it and they will soon get bored of it and it will fade away.

Nick Steenson
ICT Technician
Mt Aspiring College
p:+643 443 0463 (Ext 830)
a:Plantation Rd, Wanaka 9305
e:stee...@mtaspiring.school.nz

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 482 937

Patrick Dunford

May 30, 2017, 10:19:36 AM5/30/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Doesn't FB take down a page for copying your content?