Schools using N4L's Web Filtering - Notice about HTTPS traffic

Tim Kong

Oct 28, 2015, 10:00:35 PM10/28/15
to Techies for schools
Afternoon all,

This week N4L sent out emails to all schools, to inform them of https traffic, and the implications for schools with regards to web filtering.

Please see a copy of the email below - keeping in mind that the text is aimed at school leaders.

This information is to support schools using N4L's Web Filtering - school's are fully entitled to choose what filtering products they use, regardless of whether or not they are connected to N4L's Managed Network.

Please register for the webinar, if you would like more detail about N4L's Secure Website Inspection.

As always, happy to engage in this forum as well.

Regards,

Tim

=====

Important Information about Changes on the Internet & Ongoing Student Safety

The way the internet works is continually evolving. There is a growing trend towards secure websites, which increases the chance of your students accessing inappropriate content if extra web filtering measures haven’t been taken. It is important you understand these changes and how they impact your school’s ability to continue providing a safe online environment. Please read the following information and watch the video below. We recommend you discuss it with your IT support person or company, and consider if your current web filtering setup is still adequate.

HTTP vs HTTPS

When you look at website addresses some start with “http” and others with “https”. Most of us don’t pay any attention to this, but the difference is important when it comes to the online safety of your students.
Websites that start with “http” are open and subject to the standard keyword filters most schools have as part of their web filtering setup. You can set rules to manage access to these sites, as well as what content on the sites is visible, and what is blocked. Websites that start with “https” are different. They’re called secure websites and they use what are known as ‘secure protocols’ to ensure that, when users access their content, it is secured and private. Google, YouTube, Pinterest and online banking websites are popular examples, but many others are also starting to using these protocols.

What does it mean for your school?

Content on secure websites is not able to be seen or filtered using standard rules and policies, potentially exposing students and staff to inappropriate content. The only way to prevent them from accessing this inappropriate content is to block the entire site, but in many cases this isn’t a suitable option.
Currently around 60% of all web traffic across N4L’s Managed Network is via secure websites, and this number is expected to increase dramatically in the near future. As a result, your school’s current web filtering setup may no longer be meeting your needs and should be reviewed, in accordance with your digital citizenship policy. To find out more about this growing trend toward secure websites, and how N4L’s Web Filtering and our new feature “Secure Website Inspection” can help you ensure student safety, please watch this video.

What can you do to protect your students?

The only way for your school to gain visibility of, and to be able to filter content on, secure websites, is to install certificates on devices being used to access the internet. This can be done by implementing Secure Website Inspection as part of N4L’s Web Filtering, work that your school or IT company will need to carry out.

What next?

  1. We recommend you discuss this email with your ICT staff member or support company, to identify if Secure Website Inspection is something you should implement. NetSafe and the Connected Learning Advisory are also available to provide impartial advice.
  2. Join our webinar on Monday 2nd November at 3.30pm, where we will go into more detail about Secure Website Inspection, and a high level introduction into how it is implemented.Register here for the webinar.
  3. Once you’re ready to implement Secure Website Inspection please call us on 0800 LEARNING or email sup...@n4l.co.nz. With the end of the school year not too far away the summer holidays could be a great time to get started!

Patrick Dunford

Nov 1, 2015, 10:34:39 PM11/1/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for hosting the webinar, we have done a lot of the implementation already but it was still good to hear all of the discussion.

Tim Kong

Nov 2, 2015, 3:50:07 PM11/2/15
to Techies for schools
Morning all,

Thanks Patrick - I'm glad you found it useful. We had about 100 people in the session across the hour.

I will be editing and making the recording available by the end of the week, and all of those who registered, will receive a link to the recording.

As said in the webinar, please feel free to contact me here, or off-list if you have other queries.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim Kong

Nov 4, 2015, 7:19:23 PM11/4/15
to Techies for schools
Good afternoon,

The recording of the Secure Website Inspection webinar is now available for viewing in Pond.

This link is publicly viewable, so you don't require a Pond login to access it.

Please feel free to share or download it as needed. If you'd like to download it, you can select the direct link thats in green.

Happy to continue conversations here, but also please feel free to contact the N4L Helpdesk (0800 532 764), or myself off-list if you have specific queries about your school environment.

Cheers,

Tim