Students Gaming in class

Michael Keightley

Nov 29, 2016, 9:44:54 PM11/29/16
to Techies for schools
Just wondering how everyone else manages students playing games during classtime, especially ones like Halo, Minecraft, CSS which are shared via google, installed on USB etc. Seems to be lots of ways from blocking in SEP, AB Tutor etc
We have used varies solutions in the past, and had applications rules in Watchguard, but now we are N4L and dont have the in house options.

Craig Knights

Nov 29, 2016, 9:56:23 PM11/29/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I've looked into client isolation on our ruckus system for this..  we're not currently using that, but it's there.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Michael Keightley <m.kei...@fraser.school.nz> wrote:
Just wondering how everyone else manages students playing games during classtime, especially ones like Halo, Minecraft, CSS which are shared via google, installed on USB etc. Seems to be lots of ways from blocking in SEP, AB Tutor etc
We have used varies solutions in the past, and had applications rules in Watchguard, but now we are N4L and dont have the in house options.

Pete Mundy

Nov 29, 2016, 11:17:27 PM11/29/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

I'm intrigued! How does client isolation play a part in stopping any of the example games Michael gave?

I thought client isolation was a layer-II inhibitor, basically stopping any traffic from one WiFi MAC address to any other WiFi MAC addresses known to the radio, but allowing traffic between WiFi MACs and those seen on the wired LAN. That wouldn't stop the games from talking to their normal servers out on the public internet, so I'm interested in how it could be used.

Is it to stop games from using some sort of link-local service discovery to set up sessions with peers that only exist on the local network?

Pete

Craig Knights

Nov 29, 2016, 11:58:22 PM11/29/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Well most of the gaming at our school is peer to peer gaming over the WiFi. Esp minecraft and call of duty...

Craig

Chris O'Donoghue

Nov 30, 2016, 3:45:45 PM11/30/16
to Techies for schools
You could of course empower the teacher to see it as a learning opportunity. A teacher can get a large insight into computing behaviour with products like learnmeter.

Craig Knights

Nov 30, 2016, 4:09:33 PM11/30/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
also if you know what to look for it's obvious a kids gaming...  hands on keyboards, distracted by screen, smiling or concentrating...  different pattern of keystrokes...

ta
CJK

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Chris O'Donoghue <codon...@gmail.com> wrote:
You could of course empower the teacher to see it as a learning opportunity. A teacher can get a large insight into computing behaviour with products like learnmeter.

Mike Etheridge

Nov 30, 2016, 4:28:48 PM11/30/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Kids smiling and concentrating. Talk about aberrant behaviour…

Mike

Landyn Frisby

Nov 30, 2016, 10:11:58 PM11/30/16
to Techies for schools
I have trained SEP to look for certain games. I first got it to watch applications for a month and then I went through that list and told SEP the ones I wanted it to block. They then show up in the reports if there is any detections and these students have a discussion with AP

The main ones we encounter are

Counterstrike
Halo
Doom
Age of empires II

We consider minecraft an educational tool and as such actually install it on School owned iPads and PC's where it is being used.

Colin Hogg

Dec 15, 2016, 9:02:41 PM12/15/16
to Techies for schools
Hi Michael,

We often get this request from schools and there are a number of options to manage online gaming as well as a host of other activities (as long as there is internet traffic from the app or device).

Our view is that identification and classification of internet traffic in to applications broad and specific (Gaming and video games, Clash of Clans, Minecraft, SliterIO etc) is key coupled with individual usage details and time of use = complete visibility giving you the opportunity to educate.

From there you can decide what to do:
  • you can have a fact based conversation with the students about their use and then monitor it and then take action if there is no behaviour change
  • limit students for specific games during classtime and allow access during breaks
  • Block gaming or specific games all the time if you want to
From our observations locking and blocking everything down does not work. Perhaps a more powerful option is to give the teacher in the class the ability to display all students activity to the students (see attached) and have an in class discussion about the appropriateness of gaming in class. The teacher then has the ability to allow, focus or block internet use for that class.

If you would like a demo let me know and we can arrange this for you, there are also a number of other contributors in this forum that use our services who can comment.

Best regards,

Colin

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 3:44:54 PM UTC+13, Michael Keightley wrote:
Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 12.40.24 PM.png