Kamar Active Directory Sync

Simon Phelon

Nov 30, 2017, 5:03:56 PM11/30/17
to Techies for schools
Hi, first post, long time lurker.
We have a respectable sized roll here, almost 1000 students and growing.  We use the Kamar Directory Synchronisation Manager to pass user and group details to AD and GADS to then manage our Google Apps.
This has worked reasonably well for the past few years, although the DSM service on our DC server used to crash semi-regularly and need to be restarted.  It has gotten much worse recently and now can not manage a complete sync without crashing.
I have checked the logs which record nothing, I have had our previous server support company check the server, they could find nothing wrong.  The server has been restarted numerous times and as we want some extra functionality out of DSM that it looks like it may not be capable of, I'm now thinking that its time we ditched DSM.

DSM itself has be depreciated, the concept sold to ITed and replaced by ADMS which is a paid-for product.
Are there any other (preferably free) applications that do the same thing?  I'm a bit miffed that the sync has been sold off and then charged for, this feature was one of the main selling points for me when we shifted from Musac.

Alistair Baird

Nov 30, 2017, 5:14:51 PM11/30/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
ADSM is free to Kamar users, see https://www.kamar.nz/105606.
 This works in place of the old KDSM, but it does change the names of the groups and subjects by prefixing them with Group and Subject respectively which I'd dearly love to change.

On 1 December 2017 at 10:58, Simon Phelon <sup...@wakatipu.school.nz> wrote:
[...]

IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 482 937

Simon Wright

Nov 30, 2017, 5:39:08 PM11/30/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Simon,

I may have a solution for you depending on your needs.
I wrote a powershell script to do all the things that i wanted which originally worked from a csv file, but when Kamar added directory sync i modified it to work with the xml data.
Since then i wrote my own Windows Service thats been running for a couple of years now and works great. I haven't actively worked on it for about a year, just a few tweaks this year.
I just scan the logs each day to make sure everything ran as it should, even picked up a few issues with the output from kamar directory sync when they change things.

Let me know if i can help.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

On 1 December 2017 at 11:14, Alistair Baird <bai...@stpeterspn.school.nz> wrote:
[...]

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Jake Wills

Dec 1, 2017, 3:37:53 PM12/1/17
to Techies for schools
I wrote an open source alternative a little while back, which a couple of others have contributed to as well... we are using it at Kāpiti College, and I know a few other schools are using it as well.
It's free, it works, and if you want to customise it you can as the code is all open source :)

Sheldon Lendrum

Dec 1, 2017, 3:46:54 PM12/1/17
to Techies for schools
Simon, I don’t think KDMS was sold to ITed, one of KAMARS Developers left and then another moved to with at ITed.
As that link covers it was never a core KAMAR product.

ITeds service is very good and offers the customisation the original does not. It’s also well supported as you would expect from a paid product. It means that if KAMAR does change field names they will fix and release an update for you.

There other options such as PS script like Simons or we have used Jake Wills PHP code for a number of schools and customised/rewritten that to suit schools exact requirements.
His code is on github if you want to have a play.

I doubt and KAMAR directory sync fields will change now and new fields will not affect what you need.

You have my contact details from when we dealt with the new KAMAR portal if you want any help setting it up.

Simon Phelon

Dec 1, 2017, 10:29:17 PM12/1/17
to Techies for schools
Thanks to everyone for their posts, I think I will try the ADSync program on a test OU and see how that goes. Great help, thanks.