Laptop freezing

Jude Elliot

Mar 6, 2017, 6:00:37 PM3/6/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We have a bunch of Toshiba Tela Z40 laptops - standard image, which have suddenly started freezing. Can only be shut down by holding power button down. This is at 2 schools. No useful info in event viewer. Anyone got any ideas or also having this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Jude

Alistair Baird

Mar 6, 2017, 6:09:25 PM3/6/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Do they shut down while in use, or is it after a hibernation or lid close ?

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 482 937

Jude Elliot

Alistair Baird

Mar 6, 2017, 6:34:31 PM3/6/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Have you plugged in an external mouse - just wondering if they've pressed a key combination that disables the mouse/keyboard. Otherwise a heat issue ?

Jude Elliot

Mar 6, 2017, 6:52:09 PM3/6/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for suggestions. Tried all those bar looking at heat. Wondering if a windows updates have done it as well. Will follow up.
Thanks

Richard Symon

Mar 7, 2017, 3:45:06 PM3/7/17
to Techies for schools
Hi Jude,

I have had the same problem as well, but only with our Toshiba Tecra Z50A's atm, also it seems to be related to google chrome as it only locks up when running this, have read on google that there was ages ago a conflict with chrome browser and realtek audio drivers also one with directx, most i have done to sort this (happening to 3 different laptops atm here, all the same brand model). is re-format the whole thing and use an older version of chrome, this has worked for 2 of the 3 so far.. the other I am about to re-image as well, but am using this one to find the conflict to sort first.

Jude Elliot

Mar 7, 2017, 4:07:15 PM3/7/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that info Richard. Guves me something to go on.

Jude

Jude Elliot

Mar 20, 2017, 9:28:48 PM3/20/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Seemed to have solved this by doing two things - only one may have been necessary

netsh winsock reset

and rename user directory so a new one created on login.  All going perfectly.

Richard Symon

Mar 20, 2017, 10:26:00 PM3/20/17
to Techies for schools
Hi Jude

Glad you got it sorted! :-)

I found out that it was the user profiles on chrome, as soon as i signed out of chrome, no problems at all.. strange thou mostly on the same brand and model laptop.. had a couple of HP's do the same but not freezing as bad.

Richard

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Techies for schools" group.