E-Sports / gaming over N4L

Craig Knights

Aug 6, 2017, 8:42:14 PM8/6/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
A bunch of students want to do "E-Sports" / gaming over N4L after school..

Sigh,

As reluctant as I am to spend time on it implementing it, they have support from the school administration..

So has anyone already done it?  Which outgoing ports do I need to get opened for Steam, League of Legends and CS:GO?  Anyone got a list handy?

Trawling through forums looking for the required ports is doing my head in...

thanks,
Craig

Masaki Takeda

Aug 6, 2017, 8:57:42 PM8/6/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Craig,

We have had similar requests in the past so I am sure we already have a list in our system.

I have raised a case for you so expect to hear back from our Helpdesk soon!

Kind Regards,

Masaki Takeda
Support Engineer
The Network for Learning Ltd

+64 21 666 325  DDI +64 9 222 0144  P 0800 LEARNING
A Suite 306, Geyser Building, 100 Parnell Road, Parnell, Auckland 1052
A PO Box 37118, Parnell, Auckland 1151

Simon Wright

Aug 6, 2017, 8:58:31 PM8/6/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
For all that are interested, ive attached a document which has all the ports for the games that have been requested by students over the years.
I have a rule that only opens these during breaks and after school.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.
Game Ports.docx

Simon Wright

Nick Steenson

Aug 6, 2017, 9:16:26 PM8/6/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Also interested in this information, as with out Hostel we've had quite a few requests.

Interestingly, everything (in the few games I've "tried" ;-) ) seem to work flawlessly as long as it's not passed through scansafe's authentication steps (added IP as blanket exception to filtering).

I've only really demo'd/Used Steam VR apps (I've got a Vive I occasionally bring in for classes) but they should be no different to any e-sport titles (Rocket League/DOTA/PUBG work fine for example).

Of course it's very possible I've already got those ports open from some past arrangement...

Nick

[...]

ICT Technician
Mt Aspiring College
p:+643 443 0463 (Ext 830)