Ruckus compatibility issues?

Patrick Dunford

Sep 4, 2016, 7:37:44 PM9/4/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Good morning all

We have our WSNUP system with a pile of Zoneflex 7982 APs throughout the
school

I am now, for some reason that has never been apparent before, seeing
issues with a pile of Acer Aspire laptops that seem to be unable to
connect through the wireless. They all worked fine when the system was
first installed.

It looks to me like I will have to put Wireshark on one of them to try
to figure what is going on as it affects more than one of these laptops
and more than one AP.

Alistair Baird

Sep 4, 2016, 8:42:19 PM9/4/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Are they Windows 10 or 8/8.1 ? I have had a couple of student devices that seem to have their DNS fixed, not on automatically received. Whether that was intentionally by the Student or by some software they installed I'm not sure. Had another that was running Steam - killed that then they could connect....

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 482 937

Patrick Dunford

Sep 4, 2016, 8:45:19 PM9/4/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

All Windows 7

Kevin Whelan

Sep 4, 2016, 11:23:52 PM9/4/16
to Techies for schools
you can probably blame the home users ISP for that DNS, when they ring in for help that's a common fix to get the customer up and running,really helpful when they leave home though.
and were getting lots of people losing connectivity even though their ips and gateways are correct from our DHCP but eventually they admit, they have been playing with a vpn and I don't know what it does but it certainly can confuse the system completely when it goes wrong or they uninstall it.
I just laugh and tell them your own your own,shouldn't be playing with things you don't understand and are not allowed at school anyway.

Keith Craig

Sep 4, 2016, 11:37:42 PM9/4/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
How are they authenticating? Radius, hotspot?
What point in the connection process are they failing? Are they connecting but not getting an address or are they failing to connect?

Regards

Keith

Keith Craig BCom PGDipBus(IS) CNE
Systems Administrator
Phone +64 9 5231060 x843 Mobile +64 (0) 21541549

Blake Richardson

Sep 5, 2016, 4:30:49 PM9/5/16
to Techies for schools
1. Has there been any recent changes made since these issues started i.e. config change on the ZD or firmware upgrade.

2. Are they student or school owned devices? If school owned has Windows had any updates installed recently?

3. Is the problem only related to Acer machines?

Patrick Dunford

Sep 7, 2016, 10:41:40 PM9/7/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

It looks like a hardware compatibility issue, and I've seen the exact same thing with some Ubiquiti access points, too.

This seems to be a problem more often seen with these Atheros client chipsets than any other kind of wireless chipset that I've ever worked with before. They always seem to have more issues.