3D Printers - avoiding the "gotchas"

Sam McNeill

Aug 18, 2015, 11:50:53 PM8/18/15
to Techies for schools
Hi All,

Our Prep School is looking at getting a 3D printer (considering the Up Box - http://3dprintingsystems.com/products/3d-printers/up-box-3d-printer/)

I'm open to you sharing "recommended models" if you think that is helpful, but I'm probably more interested in trying to avoid the "gotchas" that can come with getting a new 3D printer in an area of the school that has never had one before.

I'd be interested in:
  • Technical issues to be aware of (software? hardware? consumables?)
  • Location considerations - where best to put it? pros/cons from moving them around?
  • Curriculum / usage e.g. have you seen initial enthusiasm wane and now it's rarely used?

I've looked at CubePro, MakerBot 2 and the Up Box and they all seem to do a similar job (I'm not an expert) so I'm primarily keen to avoid any "gotchas" that schools can easily fall into.

Thanks in advance
Sam

Bevan McNaughton

Aug 19, 2015, 1:04:42 AM8/19/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam.
We've got the CubePro Duo. Get a double or triple plastic printer if possible as you can print 2-3 different coloured plastics or mix ABS with Nylon or PLA for specific projects. Multi plastic prints take much longer to print out however.
For example, you can set white ABS for the model and use blue for the rafting and scaffolding to specifically identify what plastic needs removed. PLA can be chemically dissolved for intricate models where you print in ABS also, or make compostable/biodegradable parts in PLA. Nylon is handy for gears which may be under wear - great to reprint a spare cog for a Waterblaster I hear.

We initially got one of the 3D Printing Systems ones which is still used and makes a very tidy job due to it's small element head. The CubePro does much larger and complex models so now gets more use at our school.

CubePro printing can range from a job (like attached) taking 6 hours to 40 hours depending on detail.

UP! for 3D systems is quite good, whereas Cubify Pro is easy to use but the new version is almost too dumbed down...

The CubePro's are large and not designed to be readily lifted by medium-small adults. Due to the wormdrives, slipping while bumping around could cause alignment to go out and need recalibration.
The 3D Printing Systems one is small and lightweight, print spare parts (the files come with it) when you get a chance.

CubePro uses a file on a USB flashdrive or Wireless printing whereas 3D Printing Systems one uses a direct USB connection.

Curriculum: So far I've got more use out if it for practical projects than the students. One of our Graphics design classes is coming up to CAD and 3D printing this semester so should be able to get stuck into it. Some students have already printed very small designs with good success. One thing with the plates on 3D printers is ensure the base layer is painted on well/to recommendation. 3D Printing Systems uses a paint which can be removed relatively easily, whereas the Cubify ones use a glue similar to the old clear paper glue on a removable glass plate which after a while can be difficult to remove and get the finished models off the plate.

Inline images 1

I hope this helps.

Bevan

Bevan McNaughton
Intranet Manager
MCP, MTCNA, CAP, Google Ed.

Southland Girls' High School
328 Tweed Street
Invercargill 9812

Fax:     +64 3 216 9010
Mobile: 027 223 2144
POT Remote Holder.skp

Sam McNeill

Aug 19, 2015, 4:36:19 PM8/19/15
to Techies for schools
HI Bevan,

Thanks for the detailed reply - I appreciate it.

A couple of thoughts/responses:
    • "Get a double or triple plastic printer if possible as you can print 2-3 different coloured plastics"
      • Do you mean a printer with multiple heads ? From what I see, that can add up to $1000 per head. The single head printers I've seen can be paused (either manually, or at a defined layer) and then a different colour threaded up and printing resumes. Manual yes, but probably satisfactory for the few times multi-coloured print jobs may be required.
    • "CubePro uses a file on a USB flashdrive or Wireless printing whereas 3D Printing Systems one uses a direct USB connection."
      • Yes, explored the various merits of both systems here. I don't like the idea of wireless and students potentially just throwing print jobs at it uncontrolled, but the idea of a USB stick makes a lot of sense. I think, initially, the attached by USB direct connection probably makes a suitable compromise between managing the machine and ease of use.
    • "Curriculum: So far I've got more use out if it for practical projects than the students"
      • Thanks - that is a relevant concern but I guess one all schools have to consider. Hopefully, if the resource is available the demand will grow for it as well, although that remains to be seen.

    Cheers,
    Sam

    Bevan McNaughton

    Aug 19, 2015, 5:25:40 PM8/19/15
    to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
    Hi Sam.
    • Yes - multiple heads. I suppose you have to justify the usage to meet the cost but so far it's been beneficial for us.
      There is also a rinse-away plastic instead of the PLA for scaffolding for articulate models.
      To rethread a single head unit can be very timely as if there are 2 plastics on the same layer it could hours of someones time swapping filament in & out.

    • A USB Pen Drive has worked well for us on the Cubify as students can load multiple jobs and just choose the next one in the series after the previous one finishes. In most cases we try to get 2-3 designs on the same plate as one job to conserve time. UP is good at sorting this too.
      Since Wireless printing is limited to the building program, having the app on one computer only and limiting jobs can solve students randomly printing via wireless. There is no traditional Windows Printer driver for the Cubify, it must be done via the App.

    Cheers.
    Bevan

    Craig Knights

    Aug 19, 2015, 5:30:16 PM8/19/15
    to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
    We've got two, one we purchased, it's an UP of some sort.  The other I think is a Makerbot, it was a freebie from our photocopier people.

    Our experience with high school boys is they will break it.  The care required to detach the part off the bed is just not there, the MakerBot was in the junior shared technology room and ended up in a sad state quickly with a gouged up sheet on the bed...

    The other one was in the senior tech room, ended up dusty and unloved.

    Best to have it being looked after by a staff member who is interested..  Vets the projects, keeps an eye on it..

    They are slow..  So printing 25 things for a class is going to take ages.

    Unrestricted wireless access from the wifi ended up with a lot of jobs queued.  None of them of particular educational value.

    anyway, those are my random thoughts..
    Craig

    trevor storr

    Aug 20, 2015, 4:42:46 PM8/20/15
    to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
    Have not got one, but when talking to a rep recently it was suggested that rather than one large printer, for the same price get 2 smaller ones.  The major bottleneck in real-life classroom use is the printing time.  For prep school use, smaller artefacts are likely to be fine - about 10*10 or 12*12.  Seems sensible to me.
    --
    cheers

    Trevor

    Trevor Storr