kamar web portal https

Craig Knights

May 25, 2017, 8:10:18 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We'd like to make our Kamar web portal https

I'm looking for recommendations on who to buy one from.  I've never purchased one before.

Our school website is already, but that was done by the site builders / hosts

Domainz?  GoDaddy?

thanks,
Craig

J B

May 25, 2017, 8:25:20 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We have used these people as they were cheap but decently supported across devices.

May 25, 2017, 8:26:31 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Craig,

There are a number of options - with different pricing ranges too.

https://www.rapidssl.com/buy-ssl/    (a reseller for geotrust certificates)

Just make sure it's using SHA256 / 2048bit or higher.  If you don't, then some browsers (eg. Google) will report that it's only semi secure.

It may be worthwhile contacting the site builders, as they may be able to supply a sub-domain to your current certificate  (assuming it's for your school domain).

If you are just protecting the web portal, then you only need a single domain SSL certificate (which is the cheaper option).

Alternatively,  you can get a wildcard certificate   *.name.school.nz   which means you can use it on any server within your domain - but these are considerably more expensive.

cheers

Kent.

Julian Davison

May 25, 2017, 8:27:15 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
If you're feeling particularly cheap, and run your own server for it, you can always consider https://letsencrypt.org/ :)

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 12:25 PM, J B <sensat...@hotmail.com> wrote:
We have used these people as they were cheap but decently supported across devices.

Nick Steenson

May 25, 2017, 8:27:54 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
If you're looking for cheap...

I use it on all of my Apache servers, and have had success on using it for IIS/Windows servers, BUT not for the web portal... Yet. I'll try it again next week most likely.

Nick

Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 12:10:16 PM

Hi,

We'd like to make our Kamar web portal https

I'm looking for recommendations on who to buy one from.  I've never purchased one before.

Our school website is already, but that was done by the site builders / hosts

Domainz?  GoDaddy?

thanks,
Craig

Nick Steenson
ICT Technician
Mt Aspiring College
p:+643 443 0463 (Ext 830)
a:Plantation Rd, Wanaka 9305
e:stee...@mtaspiring.school.nz

trevor storr

Simon Wright

May 25, 2017, 8:38:56 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We use GoDaddy Wildcard OV Deluxe SSL cert for *.obhs.school.nz. Pricing isn't bad when compared to the likes of Symantec.
Haven't had any issues with it thus far

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

On 26 May 2017 at 12:27, Nick Steenson <stee...@mtaspiring.school.nz> wrote:
[...]

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Mike Etheridge

May 25, 2017, 8:41:36 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Are this wildcard certs good for next level domains, like
or only
and
?

Mike

Julian Davison

May 25, 2017, 8:43:19 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Single level, so only the last two.

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Simon Wright

May 25, 2017, 8:48:38 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
What kind of odd sub domain names are you thinking of having?

Julian is probably correct, but i can test it.

[...]

Julian Davison

May 25, 2017, 8:51:21 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
It used to be the case, it was the first question I asked about wildcard domains.
At the time, looking to use something like

Simon Wright

May 25, 2017, 8:58:53 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
ok, ive added foo.bar to my domain registry and should come live in the next zone build at 1 pm.
Ive added site foo.bar.obhs.school.nz to my iis with a boiler plate html page. its setup for both http and https.

Now we pay the waiting game

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

Simon Wright

Mike Etheridge

May 25, 2017, 9:24:51 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
OK, that saves a lot of messing about trying to get a definitive answer. Nothing like an actual test. Cheers.

Mike

On 26/05/2017, at 1:00 PM, Simon Wright <simon....@obhs.school.nz> wrote:

just tried it internally, no go...

<image.png>
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to techies-for-sch...@googlegroups.com.

Kent

May 25, 2017, 9:31:52 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
When you get a wildcard cert, you normally get the parent  obhs.school.nz  and also the wildcard for  *.obhs.school.nz

This doesn't cover  *.something.obhs.school.nz.   You would need to get a wildcard for  something.obhs.school.nz  if you wanted to do that.

Kent.

Simon Wright

May 25, 2017, 9:39:52 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Can someone see if you go to https://foo.bar.obhs.school.nz and click continue after the cert warning if you end up seeing my foobar page.

I just tried it on my phone, so outside our network and weirdly it redirected me to achieve.org.nz

[...]

Julian Davison

May 25, 2017, 9:40:54 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I was being redirected to achieve.org.nz, I assumed there was some DNS that hadn't fully updated...
I enjoyed the Firebrand 404 page, tho :)

Nick Steenson

May 25, 2017, 9:41:09 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Redirected for me too.

Nick

Simon Wright

Craig Knights

May 25, 2017, 9:46:27 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I got NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

Mike Etheridge

May 25, 2017, 11:22:42 PM5/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Got warning for insecure connection. Resolved ok once I added security exception, but I guess that answers the question.

Jake Wills

May 27, 2017, 12:43:20 AM5/27/17
to Techies for schools
I know I'm late to the party... but there is an unofficial letsencrypt client for IIS as well which we use for our portal
Can't go past a free certificate... you just run the client, answer some questions and leave it to auto-renew as needed.

Pete Mundy

May 29, 2017, 5:15:56 AM5/29/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Craig

Just an off-the-cuff suggestion of different approach to achieving the same goal which you may not have thought of: put your existing portal behind Cloudflare's free-tier CDN (www.cloudflare.com).

They can use http to connect to you, and you then firewall inbound connections so they can only come from CF's proxies. The end users all see HTTPS and the certificate is theirs.
Total cost = nothing!

Plus you get IPv6 exposure thrown in for free, even when your existing host is IPv4 only :)

Pete

Craig Knights

May 29, 2017, 5:25:56 AM5/29/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
the thing is, and I expect to be told otherwise, and I didnt check this, my boss asked for it, we need https to let us enable the parents-can-change-own-kamar-password-to-something-stupid feature.

all done today anyway, using a godaddy cert.  we paid for a year long wildcard cert, I'll look at the free options before that renews.  my boss wanted it done super quick...  so a paid cert it was.

thanks,
Craig

Landyn Frisby

May 29, 2017, 4:37:35 PM5/29/17
to Techies for schools
We use letsencrypt on IIS, it auto renews - was painless to setup.
I also recommend checking over your server with https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/
Once it has finished your report, it lets you know any vulnerabilities - and how to patch them.

Kind Regards

Landyn Frisby
James Hargest College

Daniel Lewis

May 29, 2017, 5:28:30 PM5/29/17
to Techies for schools
We were with GoDaddy, but there costs went up considerably when I went to renew.  We are now using a RapidSSL/Geotrust wildcard we purchased through trustico.co.nz.

Using trustico meant I could have accounts direct deposit NZ$ into a NZ account rather than using a CC.

Tracy Briscoe

May 29, 2017, 5:41:30 PM5/29/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Hi Pete

This sounds like a very bad idea.

You’re giving the end user the appearance that traffic to your web server is secure, when in fact it is not.

User >---[ Encrypted over public Internet :-) ]--------> Cloudflare >--- [ Unencrypted over public Internet :-( ]----> onsite webserver.

As UFB is using GPON, anyone with some technical nous on the same fibre circuit as the school, could in theory capture the unencrypted traffic destined to the school.

Regards,

Mr Tracy Briscoe

Network Engineer

St Peter's School, Cambridge, New Zealand

www.stpeters.school.nz

Note: This communication may contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the addressee named above. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author. If you have received this message in error, we request you delete the message and notify the sender. Please do not distribute, copy or disclose any information. This e-mail has been scanned for viruses but all liability for viruses or similar in any attachment or message is excluded.

St Peter's School, Cambridge, New Zealand
Telephone: 647 827 9899 Fax: 647 827 9812
Website: www.stpeters.school.nz

Pete Mundy

May 29, 2017, 6:30:55 PM5/29/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Heya Tracy

You are of course quite technically correct! Although I'd point out that there are a fair few N4L connections down this way don't actually use UFB circuits (ie UFB-project funded fibre connections from LFCs such as Chorus) for the last mile connection.

Also, between N4L and CloudFlare, the 'public internet' part is only the APE peering fabric and switches (the traffic never traverses any transit providers in-between), so it's not very accessible or public unless other than to the APE provider (Citylink). Given that almost all of the links in the HTTP-only chain are on private networks that we should be able to trust, I figured the risk wasn't that high :)

But since it's a very fair and valid point, one option to address it would be change the school<->CF link to using https with a (free) self-signed certificate. CF will proxy to your server without complaining about the certificate between you and them (if you configure their portal to do so), and then use their own certificate for the connections from the public-internet clients.

Pete
----

Did you know you can encrypt your emails to me using GPG tools? https://gpgtools.org

My public-key is available at: https://fiberphone.co.nz/petes-public-key.asc

It's fingerprint is: D983 810E 9176 6BD0 0F39  521C 3C23 2F32 00DB C768
signature.asc

Simon Wright

May 29, 2017, 7:15:03 PM5/29/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Cheers for that link Landyn, ive spent the morning improving the security of my webserver!
The IISCrypto tool is also very helpful.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

Landyn Frisby

May 29, 2017, 7:32:23 PM5/29/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
All good Simon.
IISCrypto is an essential tool if you are using IIS. Seems Microsoft do not patch these vulnerabilities...
It is a good feeling when you achieve the A rating.

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Kind Regards,

Landyn Frisby
ICT Systems Engineer

Nick Steenson

Jun 25, 2017, 9:05:23 PM6/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I know this is resurrecting an old thread a little, but, if you haven't already secured your portal, here's an easy and free solution.

I just re-did ours and it's beautifully simple with automatic renewals etc.

Don't forget to ensure all traffic goes to HTTPS!

Nick

Kind Regards,

Landyn Frisby
ICT Systems Engineer

Matt Strickland

Jun 25, 2017, 9:44:16 PM6/25/17
to Techies for schools
That's another job I need to sort - best option for Apache too? (Debian webserver here)

Or just apply a wildcard if purchased for other stuff? - Don't think you can wildcard 802.1x but I have considered using a trusted chain for radius.

Matt
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to techies-for-schools+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

[...]

Nick Steenson

Jun 25, 2017, 9:47:14 PM6/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Apache/Linux has been supported by letsencrypt since its inception, have secured many a raspberry-Pi webserver with it, including auto renewal.

Without reading it, this might be more specific:

Nick

[...]

Jake Wills

Jun 25, 2017, 9:47:43 PM6/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Letsencrypt is really easy for apache

[...]

Sent from my phone, so please forgive any typos.

Julian Davison

Mike Etheridge

Jun 25, 2017, 9:48:06 PM6/25/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Yep, works for Apache, actually super easy. This is for Ubuntu, not sure how much difference in the versions, but thats more or less Debian  !^)

signature.asc

Simon Wright

Kevin Whelan

Jun 25, 2017, 10:10:43 PM6/25/17
to Techies for schools
wildcards yes learnt that the hard way, why does apple and now microsoft have followed just let the clients completely ignore the validity of the cert and connect. We used to use that cert requirement to actually help secure the connection in the past, and now in the effort to make it seemless for clients they just bypass it. Makes a mockery of certs and there intended design.

Matt Strickland

Jun 25, 2017, 11:16:39 PM6/25/17
to Techies for schools
Yes still using self signed,

I've found in newer Android builds you have to select 'do not check' and they seem to be keen on hiding / making this choice difficult to find.

Hence the thinking of purchasing a cert specific for 802.1x, client/server authentication (and also have to use external FQDN for host obviously eg wifi.schoolname.school.nz)

[...]

Simon Wright

Jul 6, 2017, 5:20:16 PM7/6/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Just a little bit of info i read this morning.

Lets Encrypt will be offering free wildcard certs from Jan next year

[...]

Nick Steenson

Jul 6, 2017, 5:22:37 PM7/6/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Well now THAT'S exciting! Basically that means my ZoneDirector Letsencrypt guide will be pointless but for uploading the new cert every 80-90 days.

Encrypt all the things!

Nick

Landyn Frisby

Jul 6, 2017, 5:35:19 PM7/6/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
This is very awesome news. This will make it a lot easier to encrypt everything!

Jake Wills

Jul 6, 2017, 5:43:56 PM7/6/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic!