Faculty iPads - DEP?

Matt Strickland

May 13, 2018, 9:15:43 PM5/13/18
to Techies for schools
Hi all,

A few of our faculty's purchase iPad's for various reasons within their faculty, but what should I be putting in place for these school owned devices?

Enrolled in DEP? (do I need to have an account created, eg appl...@xxx.school?)
Then in terms of an Apple ID that can be shared across the devices and purchases applied?

Most have only ended up being in use by one teacher, but I can see these being shared around.

Matt

Matt Strickland

May 17, 2018, 12:02:14 AM5/17/18
to Techies for schools
Not sure if anyone here can answer, but I have set myself up as an admin in Apple School Manager.

Should I create Apple ID's for these devices to be used by faculty's? eg maths1 maths2 @karamu.school.nz or some naming structure depending on purpose?

This is more of a reach out to those utilising apple in their school.

Matt

Stephen Moran

May 17, 2018, 6:10:54 AM5/17/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

What MDM are you using with these iPads, most of the MDM's (paid especially, but not Meraki legacy) now support device assignment meaning you can assign App’s per device instead of having to muck around with AppleID’s.  The staff can then use their personal AppleID’s on them if they wish or just not have one at all.  There are a few App’s which are an exception to this, but they’re reasonably rare.

Stephen

--
Stephen Moran
Sent with Airmail

Matt Strickland

May 17, 2018, 4:24:23 PM5/17/18
to Techies for schools
Hi Stephen,

No MDM yet, but thoughts for best options? We're not a big iPad school so we only have a few devices, but this could grow so I'd like to have something in place.
If I plan to use DEP and VPP I assume I can assign an MDM server in the school console, do most either run an Apple server with profile manager, or Azure?

Maybe I'm better to reach out to an Apple Business Manager to suggest some scenarios for us with few devices.

Matt

On Thursday, 17 May 2018 22:10:54 UTC+12, iService - Stephen wrote:
Hi Matt,

What MDM are you using with these iPads, most of the MDM's (paid especially, but not Meraki legacy) now support device assignment meaning you can assign App’s per device instead of having to muck around with AppleID’s.  The staff can then use their personal AppleID’s on them if they wish or just not have one at all.  There are a few App’s which are an exception to this, but they’re reasonably rare.

Stephen

--
Stephen Moran
Sent with Airmail

Keith Craig

May 17, 2018, 4:41:39 PM5/17/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Talk to Carl Gamble carlg...@apple.com NZ based Engineer. He will be able to guide you.

Keith Craig
Systems Administrator
Dilworth School
Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to techies-for-sch...@googlegroups.com.

Stephen Moran

May 17, 2018, 4:42:29 PM5/17/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Yes, with DEP you can auto-assign devices to the MDM. Honestly, I’d steer clear of ProfileManager.  When it works it’s great but when it breaks its a nightmare so I’d only use it as a stop gap for funding reasons especially if you’ve already got something that can run it or for a small fleet of devices.  We’ve deployed Jamf, Lightspeed and Meraki in various sites and my preferences on those run in that order best to worst - actually I’d almost put ProfileManager ahead of Meraki.
Jamf is pretty awesome, but does have a one-off setup fee.
Lightspeed works well for App and Profile deployment but for some of the newer features (device renaming) or batch changes seems a little more unreliable, and a recent update has made it a little less user friendly and it’s definitely geared to the US School District setup.
Meraki I’d just put down to confusing as heck.
Microsoft’s Intune seems to have come a long way based on the doc’s but I haven’t used it yet.

--
Stephen Moran
Sent with Airmail

Matt Strickland

May 17, 2018, 10:26:27 PM5/17/18
to Techies for schools
Thanks, I've gone down the jamf route and just using jamfNOW.

Ive connected VPP, DEP and APN to jamf.

I can Enroll a device in jamf (by visiting the URL), but I thought I could assign by serial number in Apple School Manager and assign an MDM to it, but it doesn't work. "There was a problem assigning your device"

In Apple School Manager I dont see any device assignments, and MDM shows as Jamf is configured but with 0 devices. (Logging into jamf shows 1 device registered)

I'll likely contact the reseller next to see if they can tie their DEP and ours and enroll the devices for me.

Matt

On Friday, 18 May 2018 08:42:29 UTC+12, iService - Stephen wrote:
[...]

Stephen Moran

May 17, 2018, 11:14:08 PM5/17/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

Yes talk to your reseller and give them your DEP  institution code to get the devices loaded - that’s generally easier than going the configurator route.

--
Stephen Moran
Sent with Airmail

Matt Strickland

May 22, 2018, 9:03:56 PM5/22/18
to Techies for schools
Hi Stephen,

Another quick question, Shared iPad.

For me I just want a few users (which will be teachers) to have their own profile on iPad. (mostly so they can sign in to various apps)
Can I enable Shared iPad now they are enrolled in DEP?

Does jamfNOW support this or only jamfPRO

I'm seeing little support info around Shared iPad.

Matt

Stephen Moran

May 24, 2018, 11:06:05 PM5/24/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Ok, you’ve got me on that one.  Since that’s an ASM tool rather than a MDM tool you should be able to use it just fine and manage the AppleID’s from within ASM.  I haven’t had any experience with JamfNOW so can’t say for sure.

Stephen

--
Stephen Moran
Sent with Airmail

Matt Strickland

May 27, 2018, 6:03:18 PM5/27/18
to Techies for schools
No worries, I thought MDM also played a part in it, but ill setup some managed IDs and see what happens.
Not interested in the Classroom app etc, just different profiles so the faculty can share the iPad among a few teachers and they can have confidence of a separate user space.

Matt

On Friday, 25 May 2018 15:06:05 UTC+12, iService - Stephen wrote:
Ok, you’ve got me on that one.  Since that’s an ASM tool rather than a MDM tool you should be able to use it just fine and manage the AppleID’s from within ASM.  I haven’t had any experience with JamfNOW so can’t say for sure.

Stephen

--
Stephen Moran
Sent with Airmail

Stephen Moran

May 27, 2018, 6:06:48 PM5/27/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I’ll be interested to see how that pan’s out for you.  I hadn’t thought about using that for teachers.

Stephen

--
Stephen Moran
Sent with Airmail