WiFi ElectroMagnetic Radiation (EMR) in the classroom

Arnold Santos

Nov 22, 2015, 4:54:44 PM11/22/15
to Techies for schools
Hi all,

A concerned parent is asking about what is the school policy or guidelines for computer health and safety with regards to Wifi EMR in the classroom? I've already forwarded about the http://www.health.govt.nz/publication/snapshot-study-wifi-in-schools and our Principal and DP were asking about how to respond about these issues.

She gave a link about this comprehensive, independent report "The BioInitiative Report 2012" http://www.biointiative.org. It was written by 29 highly qualified authors from around the word from 10 different countries and covers "the science, public health, public policy and global response to the growing issue of chronic exposure to electromagnetic fields and radiofrequency radiation in the daily life of billions of people around the world"

She is also suggesting about adopting basic "radiation hygiene" in schools
  • Keep tablets/ipads off lap and away from abdomen
  • Reduce output of wifi radiation to lowest level necessary to achieve connectivity
  • Limit location of wifi routers
  • Use devices in flight mode unless needing internet
What is your thoughts and opinions and what is the best way to deal with this. All ideas welcome. Thanks.

Mike Etheridge

Nov 22, 2015, 5:00:44 PM11/22/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
These people pop up from time to time. You should tell your managers to read this article

Tim Harper

Nov 22, 2015, 5:19:04 PM11/22/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arnold,

Ask your principal/DP to lodge an advisory request at www.connectedlearning.org.nz.

regards,

Tim Harper

Phone 0800 755 966 option 2 then 3 (SchoolZone)
Phone 03 443 5167 (DDI)
Mobile 027 443 1236
Fax 03 443 0491

t...@mtaspiring.school.nz
www.mtaspiring.school.nz

Keith Craig

Nov 22, 2015, 5:38:25 PM11/22/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
World health organisation:

Keith Craig
Systems Administrator
Dilworth School
Sent from my iPhone

Alistair Baird

Nov 22, 2015, 5:39:19 PM11/22/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
They can't stop you being in free public-wifi spaces such as cafes, public libraries, shopping malls, the list goes on. There is EMF from power lines too, it's just the frequency is different. If they can't trust the government public health service, then I guess they probably don't trust the government either.
Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 990 259

WHS Ict Technician

Nov 22, 2015, 10:28:50 PM11/22/15
to Techies for schools

What is your thoughts and opinions and what is the best way to deal with this. All ideas welcome. Thanks.

My thoughts (with my scientist hat on) are that excessive exposure to non-ionising radiation is probably something to be avoided. Excessive exposure to anything that heats or cools or vibrates your body should be avoided. safety is something that mainstream legislation is always slow to catch up with.

The points she has suggested are all perfectly reasonable, and may be useful for teaching anyway. "devices off!"

personally, i made sure to reduce the power of my APs to a minimum, adopting one AP per classroom to help with that.  APs are up high, to increase direct line of sight to devices, and save on pushing through bodies.

I don't think it would hurt to discuss these ideas and integrate them with the teaching. She may have handed the staff the perfect tool to deal with disruptive technology use.

gre...@staff.cbhs.school.nz

Nov 23, 2015, 1:16:04 AM11/23/15
to Techies for schools
If they're concerned with microwave radiation, advise the parent to not provide the child with a mobile phone.
If they're concerned with (ionising) radiation that is demonstrably harmful, advise them to avoid sunburn.

Failing that, there are a wide range of products available to manage EM radiation exposure. You could make them part of your byod recommendation.
http://www.safespaceprotection.com/safespace-emf-solutions.aspx
http://www.lifeenergysolutions.com/products/

- Ben.

Tim Harper