Hyper v live migrations

Craig Knights

Mar 11, 2018, 6:14:42 PM3/11/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Some of you will roll your eyes and wonder if I've been hiding under a rock not knowing about this..   But moving server VMs live from one hyper v host to another has kind of been a wow moment in the last week.

Copies the live memory and virtual disks.. then it just carries on.

Only lose 1 ping... RDP sessions stay connected... it's just so useful for doing hardware upgrades..

Craig.

Alistair Baird

Mar 11, 2018, 6:16:43 PM3/11/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Although I use Proxmox, live migrations have been a god send when moving server rooms.

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 482 937

Sue Way

Mar 13, 2018, 10:43:34 PM3/13/18
to Techies for schools
HI Craig,

Welcome out from under the rock :-)..  Migration to new hardware becomes much easier.. no longer have to schedule outages and rack up heaps of overtime to get stuff migrated..

I have flicked my VMs from one host to another and moved the storage from one 3PAR, Fibre attached, to another while in production and no one has noticed a thing...

Sue Way

Craig Knights

Mar 13, 2018, 10:59:38 PM3/13/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
How long has Live Migration been a thing?

Craig

Simon Wright

Mar 13, 2018, 11:09:50 PM3/13/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
At least Server 2008, but it was basic, its come a long way since then.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 3:43 PM, Sue Way <sue...@wgc.school.nz> wrote:
HI Craig,

Welcome out from under the rock :-)..  Migration to new hardware becomes much easier.. no longer have to schedule outages and rack up heaps of overtime to get stuff migrated..

I have flicked my VMs from one host to another and moved the storage from one 3PAR, Fibre attached, to another while in production and no one has noticed a thing...

Sue Way

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.