Google drive on school network

Gerard MacManus

Sep 16, 2012, 7:53:10 PM9/16/12
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
How can GDrive be installed on a student network with the following:
1)  No Admin rights needed for install
2)  Individual GDrive on Terminal Server Profiles
3)  Can GDrive be installed over a network share or Group Policy?

Thank you,

Bevan McNaughton

Sep 16, 2012, 9:48:05 PM9/16/12
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Apparently Google are very shortly releasing a MSI installer for Google Drive.

A snippet from their latest e-mail:
What tools do I have to manage Drive on my domain?
- Purchase additional storage for Google Apps for Business and Google Apps for Government users right from your control panel.
- Disable download of the Drive sync client, let users download and install the sync client themselves, or install it for them with our MSI installer.
- Disable user-purchased individual storage.

Yet to find the MSI installer though.
Regards,
Bevan McNaughton
--
Bevan McNaughton
Intranet Manager

Southland Girls' High School
328 Tweed Street
Invercargill 9812

Craig Dean

Sep 18, 2012, 8:02:18 PM9/18/12
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Google Drive syncs the files to the local computer, so I would not recommend deploying on a network. Either you will be re-downloading the files every time a user logs, or the machines will run out of disk space. If it is a shared computer install Chrome or Chromium on it. Users can drag and drop files into the browser to upload them, and download them as required.

If users want Drive then let them install it on devices that only they use.

Simon - OBHS

Sep 19, 2012, 10:47:45 PM9/19/12
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, would be nice if they had more of a central server sync type arrangement to sync on the file server to their individual homes drives. Or better yet, with having a decent internet connection, be able to map a drive letter to their google drive, eliminating the need for local storage.

Bevan McNaughton

Sep 19, 2012, 10:59:21 PM9/19/12
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Maybe send in those suggestions in relation from a schools perspective. My dealings with them for such suggestions have been pretty good at times and they do welcome the feedback.
Bevan

On 20 September 2012 14:47, Simon - OBHS <simon....@obhs.school.nz> wrote:
Yeah, would be nice if they had more of a central server sync type arrangement to sync on the file server to their individual homes drives. Or better yet, with having a decent internet connection, be able to map a drive letter to their google drive, eliminating the need for local storage.

Gerard MacManus

Aug 15, 2013, 4:09:13 AM8/15/13
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
anyone got an update on this, would love to start seriously looking at google drive sync

Gerard

Bevan McNaughton

Aug 15, 2013, 4:21:05 AM8/15/13
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We've installed Google Drive via MSI over Group Policy. It does however require students to log in to the app to activate it.
If students use multiple PC's, it does mean multiple cache points/profiles wintin Windows...

Ict Technician

Jun 25, 2015, 12:02:01 AM6/25/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
i realise this is an OLD topic, however... i'm just venturing into this territory.

Would it be possible to use folder redirection to put each student's Google Drive folder onto our NAS based home storage?
how did your implementation go?