Re: [techies-for-schools] Digest for techies-for-schools@googlegroups.com - 20 updates in 2 topics

flow in

Aug 12, 2015, 5:33:00 PM8/12/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
what about chromebooks?

--

Westland High School logo

Flow In, MA hons Cantab, MSc | ICT Technician | WESTLAND HIGH SCHOOL

Phone: 03 755 6054 | Cell: 022 027 5107 | Fax: 03 755 6269 | i...@westlandhigh.school.nz
PO Box 154, 140 Hampden Street, Hokitika 7842
http://www.westlandhigh.school.nz/

WHAKATERE I Ā TĀTOU HAERENGA - NAVIGATING OUR JOURNEYS

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

On 13 August 2015 at 08:29, <techies-f...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Jude Elliot <jude.el...@gmail.com>: Aug 12 10:13AM +1200

Hi

Last week we had a bit of a crisis and as a result moved our DHCP to
another of our servers. Since then we have had trouble with the DHCP client
on some laptops and desktops being turned off along with other Windows
services such as the Windows Audio Service when they try to connect in to
the network. All services are working perfectly if not connected by wifi
or ethernet but as soon as we try to connect those automatically started
services are turned off.

A suggestion I had read was that IPv6 could be causing this but it is not
enabled on the server running DHCP. Have discovered that if I take the
tick out of the IPv6 line in the properties of each network card then go to
services and restart the DHCP client, audio service etc it does seem to
work. It would be a bit of a mission to do this on all affected machines.
Strangely not all machines are affected.

Can anyone think what on connecting to the network could make this weird
behaviour? Dearly love to stop it!

Many thanks

Jude
Darfield HS
Alistair Baird <bai...@stpeterspn.school.nz>: Aug 12 10:22AM +1200

Since changing your DHCP server is only a week, your devices may be still
hanging onto an old lease. Try doing a ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew
and see if the problem persists.

--
*Alistair Baird*
*IT Manager*

Can you collect data on the affected clients? Service pack version,
Windows version (7,8,8.1, 10 etc). Only certain models of laptop, etc.
Sometimes just logging these things shows a pattern.. Right down the
differences between the DHCP servers.. Could it be something odd about the
switch? Did you move the DHCP from one switch to another??

ta
Craig

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Jude Elliot <jude.el...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Jude Elliot <jude.el...@gmail.com>: Aug 12 10:30AM +1200

Yes we tried that but it didn't seem to make any difference sadly!

Thanks for the idea though

Jude

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Alistair Baird <
Jude Elliot <jude.el...@gmail.com>: Aug 12 10:33AM +1200

So far no pattern emerging yet - seems completely random. Some computers
haven't missed a beat eg my workstation! DHCP was originally on a W2K3
server but is now on W2K8 until our new stuff comes in a few weeks. Both
servers plug into the same core switch. The IT company is looking into it
but just thought some of you gurus out there may have experienced something
similar.

Regards

Jude

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Craig Knights <craig....@gmail.com>
wrote:

Pete Mundy <pe...@fiberphone.co.nz>: Aug 12 10:34AM +1200

Hi Jude

Can you grab a packet-capture of a DHCP request from the perspective of one of the workstations and post it somewhere? Then we could have a look at it in wireshark and see if any of the dhcp options offered look like they could be at fault.

Pete

Jude Elliot <jude.el...@gmail.com>: Aug 12 10:35AM +1200

Thanks for the tip. I'm not on site there atm but will get someone onto
that.

Thanks

Jude

Keith Craig <kei...@dilworth.school.nz>: Aug 11 10:39PM

Jude,
From your description it seems the problem is the DHCP service on the client is being turned off along with Audio service, rather than the client not getting a DHCP address.
This would suggest that something has changed in your Windows policies that is causing this rather than it being a direct DHCP issue.

Regards

Keith

Keith Craig BCom PGDipBus(IS) CNE
Systems Administrator
Phone +64 9 5231060 x843 Mobile +64 (0) 21541549

[cid:87F9AAA2-A19F-4776-ADA8-CE7B5D5D6831]

From: <techies-f...@googlegroups.com<mailto:techies-f...@googlegroups.com>> on behalf of Jude Elliot <jude.el...@gmail.com<mailto:jude.el...@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, 12 August 2015 10:33 am
To: "techies-f...@googlegroups.com<mailto:techies-f...@googlegroups.com>" <techies-f...@googlegroups.com<mailto:techies-f...@googlegroups.com>>
Subject: Re: [techies-for-schools] Puzzling issue

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Jude Elliot <jude.el...@gmail.com<mailto:jude.el...@gmail.com>> wrote:
[...]

Interesting! OK - no one has done any policy changes to my knowledge -
just moved the DHCP server. However when all this happened I was out of
the country and there were 2 problems at the same time so maybe something
was changed. Thanks.

Jude

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Keith Craig <kei...@dilworth.school.nz>
wrote:

J B <sensat...@hotmail.com>: Aug 12 10:52AM +1200

Try using the rsop mmc snapin on an effected and non effected machine to see if there are any weird or corrupt gpos being collected by them. Gpo could easily effect services, weird though.

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
Interesting! OK - no one has done any policy changes to my knowledge -
just moved the DHCP server. However when all this happened I was out of
the country and there were 2 problems at the same time so maybe something
was changed. Thanks.

Jude

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Keith Craig <kei...@dilworth.school.nz>
wrote:

It can also pay to check that you haven't accidentally got Network Access Protection policies running also. Sometimes these show up only when service like DHCP are involved. This is especially the case of you also have RADIUS or VPN running on the same box.

Petethegeek

Jude Elliot <jude.el...@gmail.com>: Aug 12 11:02AM +1200

Thanks. There was a radius server on the server the DHCP has been moved to
but I thought it was now off. Will get that looked at too.

These ideas are great. Appreciate the support.

Cheers

Jude

gre...@staff.cbhs.school.nz: Aug 12 12:20AM -0700

Can we confirm that an affected machine does successfully lease an IP
address, despite the symptoms in question?

Some thoughts:

1. Regarding randomness, is a given machine reliably random? (i.e does a
bad machine consistently exhibit the issue upon connecting to the network,
and a good machine consistently not?)

2. Is there anything in the event log on a bad machine when the issue
occurs?

3. Try setting a static IPv4 address on an affected machine - does the
issue no longer occur upon connecting?

4. Presumably any dhcp relay/helper settings on routers/switches have been
pointed at the new server as appropriate?

Aside: I you can't be bothered wiresharking, "dhcptest" by Vladimir
Panteleev can be a convenient tool to see the broadcast dhcp messages on a
network / spot a rogue server. There also used to be a similar "Rogue DHCP
Server detection" tool by Microsoft; I don't know if this is still
available.

- Ben.

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 11:02:20 AM UTC+12, Jude E wrote:
Jude Elliot <jude.el...@gmail.com>: Aug 12 08:05PM +1200

Ben

Thanks to you and everyone else for your input. Today we had another crash
which stopped investigations. (Not server but router) The IT company
adviser who works with our school is trying all your suggestions. I can say
that the affected machines were not reliably getting an IP address - just
the old 169... Can't tell you much more as I was working elsewhere today
but the glitch this afternoon stopped the testing.

Many thanks

Jude

J B <sensat...@hotmail.com>: Aug 12 08:33AM

The other thing to check for is a broadcast storm / loopback on the network, this can easily take out dhcp by flooding the link without causing other things to fail spectacularly. Hope you get it sorted.

Sent from Windows Mail

On 12/08/2015 7:20 pm, <gre...@staff.cbhs.school.nz> wrote:

[...]

Assuming that:
* The event log is recording services crashing (and it's likely that the
dhcp client and windows audio service etc are running under the same
process and thus crash together), and
* Setting a static IP address avoids the issue,
then I would be looking for a rogue (IPv6-capable, presumably) DHCP server
that is responding with some kind of malformed or unexpected reply.

It seems less likely that an MS dhcp server would break an MS dhcp client,
so likely suspects would be internet routers/gateways/firewalls. Are there
any such boxes that might be responding to a client dhcp request?

The dhcp client really shouldn't crash of course, but this might not be a
fixable avenue to pursue.

Note that once a workstation has successfully leased from a dhcp server, it
will tend to use unicast (to the same dhcp server) to renew; this may
explain why a good workstation stays good (if this is indeed the case).

- Ben.

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 8:05:44 PM UTC+12, Jude E wrote:
Pete Mundy <pe...@fiberphone.co.nz>: Aug 13 07:21AM +1200

> eg Mac OS X Server's built-in customised version of BIND

Whoops! Where I said 'BIND', I of course meant 'dhcpd'. Too early!

Pete
Pete Mundy <pe...@fiberphone.co.nz>: Aug 13 07:23AM +1200

On the subject of DHCP servers, what do list members tend to use in their networks? I guess those of you running MS shops use the DHCP service built into Windows Server, but what about others?

After having no end of troubles with the DHCP server built into AlliedWare+ on the SNUP-supplied core switches I tried a few different options, eg Mac OS X Server's built-in customised version of BIND and DHCP servers running in older AW-based AT routers, but ultimately I settled on running the genuine DHCPd from ISC on a Raspberry Pi of all things! For barely more than $50 it's a separate stand-alone device dedicated to DHCP and nothing else. The hardware supports VLAN tagging, so an interface can be set up on the pi in each VLAN meaning no need for any DHCP relay (if your network can pipe all your VLANs through to the rpi).

Being a dedicated device not doing anything else they have proven to be a super-reliable DHCP server. This means that even if we loose the local server completely, guests on the visitors VLAN can still 'surf the net' because they still get DHCP and everything else for them (including DNS) is external.

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix in case it spurs inspiration elsewhere :)

Pete Mundy

Karen Gilligan <Karen.G...@Blennz.school.nz>: Aug 11 11:44PM

I think that it would also depend on what the student needs. It would not be possible in all cases of special assessment conditions to provide a ‘clean’ device. Does the student have someone in the exam with them to monitor their use?

With thanks

Karen Gilligan
E-Learning Facilitator
BLENNZ
(021) 020-60334
www.blennz.school.nz

From: <techies-f...@googlegroups.com<mailto:techies-f...@googlegroups.com>> on behalf of Matthew Strickland
Date: Tuesday, 11 August 2015 8:12 pm
To: "techies-f...@googlegroups.com<mailto:techies-f...@googlegroups.com>"
Subject: [techies-for-schools] NZQA examinations - SAC computer use

Hi all,

Do any technicians here look after your principals nominee in terms of computer use for NZQA examinations? (Special Assessment Conditions)
How far do you to ensure the sterility of a students personal laptop used for daily classroom work, to be used in external examinations?

ie locking down administrative accounts, creating a standard user, probably also ensuring no files are accessible or even in existence.

Some users could be savvy; hidden partitions, dual boot OS, recoverable files, shadow copies, restore points etc

To cover all bases I prefer to supply a machine, but in some cases this isn't possible.

Any advice or am I OTT?

Matthew Strickland
Karamu High School

Its a 'delicate' situation; so for example a student is used to a certain
keyboard layout, particularly the configuration and size of
backspace/enter/shift keys etc.
Then there is the transfer of auto-correct / replace between applications.

For internal exams/benchmark a teacher would be present, but under NCEA
usually someone that knows's nothing about technology.

So to keep the hardware consistent, either locking down/removing of files,
replacing drives or booting externally are the left over options.

Matt