Download speeds - Curious

hden

May 25, 2015, 7:33:11 PM5/25/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Curious .. ??

Why might N4L [supposedly 100M connection] downloads speeds be consistently *under half* of what our current 100M connection download speeds are ??? (using same speediest/servers)?

Cheers!

Julian Davison

May 25, 2015, 7:38:22 PM5/25/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

There's usually a lot between you and your destination site. Any one of the sections of the link can slow it down.

With the CDN systems out there it can be tricky to ensure you are actually using the same destinations when using different providers, nevermind whether or not the link actually follows the same path.

100M is an assessment of the link between "your" site and N4L. Beyond that you're seldom told the specifics...

May 25, 2015, 9:48:39 PM5/25/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Appreciate the explanation.

Our comparative tests were to the exact same destination (spark servers), over the same fibre 'wire'. I accept from your explanation that the different providers may use different paths. Current provider is GENi/Telecom.

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 11:38:22 AM UTC+12, Julian Davison wrote:

There's usually a lot between you and your destination site. Any one of the sections of the link can slow it down.

With the CDN systems out there it can be tricky to ensure you are actually using the same destinations when using different providers, nevermind whether or not the link actually follows the same path.

100M is an assessment of the link between "your" site and N4L. Beyond that you're seldom told the specifics...

Why might N4L [supposedly 100M connection] downloads speeds be consistently *under half* of what our current 100M connection download speeds are ??? (using same speediest/servers)?

Cheers!

May 27, 2015, 6:02:30 PM5/27/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
[Followup]

I must add - the followup support and attention we received from N4L since posting was outstanding! .... and much appreciated. Thanks!

Craig Knights

Why might N4L [supposedly 100M connection] downloads speeds be consistently *under half* of what our current 100M connection download speeds are ??? (using same speediest/servers)?

Cheers!

Note: If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please contact the sender immediately by return email or by telephone on +64 3 4718232. In this case please do not act in reliance on this email or any attachments, and destroy all copies of them. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not necessarily of Decision1 IT Solutions Ltd.

Patrick Dunford

May 27, 2015, 6:07:53 PM5/27/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I also think there is the question of upload/download speed. This might be 100Mbps total and therefore might be 90 down/10 up or some other ratio.

My understanding of N4L is it is divided into several “channels” each of which occupies a fixed percentage of the total bandwidth, so how much you will get depends on the activity.

--
Patrick Dunford
Note: If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please contact the sender immediately by return email or by telephone on +64 3 4718232. In this case please do not act in reliance on this email or any attachments, and destroy all copies of them. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not necessarily of Decision1 IT Solutions Ltd. --

Craig Knights

May 27, 2015, 6:14:39 PM5/27/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Not in my experience. We're on 100 and is roughly symmetrical.  90ish both ways.  Usually more on the upload than the down.

Craig

Clayton Hubbard

May 27, 2015, 6:28:30 PM5/27/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The connection size that N4L provides to schools are symmetrical meaning that the download speed is the same as the upload. This is based on the Bitstream 3A product. N4L uses packages of 50/50/10, 100/100/10 and 500/500/10. The 10Mbps you may possibly be referring to is the CIR (Committed Information Rate).

The existing Bitstream 3A services are made of Speed = EIR + CIR. So an example of this would be 100Mbps = 90M EIR(up/down) and 10M CIR(up/down).

If you notice you are not getting the symmetrical upload/download then please contact our support team at sup...@n4l.co.nz or 0800Learning so we can investigate this further.

Regards,

Clayton Hubbard
Senior Engineer, The Network for Learning Ltd

D: 09 972 2906 | M: 022 043 0155 | W: http://www.n4l.co.nz
A: Suite 306, Geyser Building, 100 Parnell Road, Parnell, Auckland 1052
P: PO Box 37118, Parnell, Auckland 1151

Clayton Hubbard

May 28, 2015, 6:34:37 AM5/28/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

As per the previous message, we have been conducting investigations into the reported download speeds. Yesterday we made a change on the network which should resolve this issue. We have performed further testing today and have had some feedback which seems very positive.

If you are still experiencing any issues please don't hesitate to contact our support team.

Thanks,

Clayton Hubbard
Senior Engineer, The Network for Learning Ltd

D: 09 972 2906 | M: 022 043 0155 | W: http://www.n4l.co.nz
A: Suite 306, Geyser Building, 100 Parnell Road, Parnell, Auckland 1052
P: PO Box 37118, Parnell, Auckland 1151

kahuk...@gmail.com

May 28, 2015, 6:29:42 PM5/28/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Obviously people’s experiences with the N4L helpdesk vary. We have been trying to get web filtering set up for one school I work with. Just getting the login to ScanCenter required a number of followup calls over a period of about two weeks before it was finally actioned. At the moment we are chasing them to try to get the process started for web filtering. As there has been no contact I will have to follow them up today to see where progress has been made.

Sent from Windows Mail

Message has been deleted

Paul McGarrigle

May 28, 2015, 10:56:44 PM5/28/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

Thank you for providing your feedback. We are looking at what may have happened with the communication back to you. In the meantime, I am aware that one of the Transition Engineers has been in touch with you to discuss your filtering requirements. He will provide an overview of the process for the school to take up the Personalised Web Filtering service.

As always, please dont hesitate to contact us if you need any help or information.

Regards

Paul McGarrigle
Head of Customer Support, The Network for Learning Ltd

M: +64 275 231 224 | W: http://www.n4l.co.nz/

A: Suite 306, Geyser Building, 100 Parnell Road, Parnell, Auckland 1052
P: PO Box 37118, Parnell, Auckland 1151

Ict Technician

Jun 5, 2015, 12:31:44 AM6/5/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
i'm wondering why symmetric? just looking at the last month of our (basic spark) fibre usage, with 1TB of transfers and 900 or so clients, we get a very clear asymmetric picture. If this was a 50/50 link instead of a 90/10, then our download bandwidth saturation would hit far before our upload, which seems like a waste, plus annoying