Re: [techies-for-schools] Digest for techies-for-schools@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

flow in

Apr 14, 2015, 7:02:57 PM4/14/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
There is something wrong if Youtube safety mode is interfering with staff videos. We have Safesearch and youtube educational locked in and very rarely do we get complaints, in which case i simply whitelist the video

--

Westland High School logo

Flow In, MA hons Cantab, MSc | ICT Technician | WESTLAND HIGH SCHOOL

Phone: 03 755 6054 | Cell: 022 027 5107 | Fax: 03 755 6269 | i...@westlandhigh.school.nz
PO Box 154, 140 Hampden Street, Hokitika 7842
http://www.westlandhigh.school.nz/

WHAKATERE I Ā TĀTOU HAERENGA - NAVIGATING OUR JOURNEYS

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

On 15 April 2015 at 08:31, <techies-f...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
<kahuk...@gmail.com>: Apr 13 11:22PM

Can someone enlighten me as to how YouTube Safety mode works. Is it mandated that you can’t have YouTube Safety without SafeSearch and vice versa.

I’m working with a complaint that YouTube safety mode is much too limiting. I don’t really know where to start, it is a teacher making instructional videos for students, there is nothing rude about them but they say the safety mode makes it impossible for students to view these videos.

I know YouTube has an educational portal but Google made it really hard to set up.
Tim Harper <t...@mtaspiring.school.nz>: Apr 14 11:39AM +1200

YT-S and the education portal are different things - the education filter
is not too hard to set up. Once registered you need to add in the custom
header that they give you. In N4L it looks like this:

[image: Inline images 1]

YT-S can be over-ridden by individual users. When you are logged in as a
Google user to YT use your account settings at the top right and go to
"YouTube settings"

[image: Inline images 2]

At the bottom of the setting screen you can permanently disable safety mode
for the user:

[image: Inline images 3]
As far as I know individual users have to make the change for themselves.

regards,

Tim Harper

Phone 0800 755 966 option 2 then 3 (SchoolZone)
Phone 03 443 5167 (DDI)
Mobile 027 443 1236
Fax 03 443 0491

t...@mtaspiring.school.nz
www.mtaspiring.school.nz

Patrick Dunford

Apr 14, 2015, 9:31:23 PM4/14/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Not at all. Whilst you may have the educational setup, we don’t as our current web filtering system doesn’t handle the header rewrite.

Ict Technician

Apr 15, 2015, 6:00:39 PM4/15/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We have safety mode on too, via GAFE for all chrome browsers. (so less internet savvy users signed into chrome with their school email addresses get filtered at home too) I worry about year 7 & 8s.

there are hints here: http://chromebookedu.blogspot.co.nz/2015/02/issues-with-youtube-videos-getting.html