Re: [techies-for-schools] Digest for techies-for-schools@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 4 topics

flow in

Mar 5, 2015, 10:26:42 PM3/5/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
OK, sussed it. the parental controls were the bit that broke.

--

Westland High School logo

Flow In, MA hons Cantab, MSc | ICT Technician | WESTLAND HIGH SCHOOL

Phone: 03 755 6054 | Cell: 022 027 5107 | Fax: 03 755 6269 | i...@westlandhigh.school.nz
PO Box 154, 140 Hampden Street, Hokitika 7842
http://www.westlandhigh.school.nz/

WHAKATERE I Ā TĀTOU HAERENGA - NAVIGATING OUR JOURNEYS

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

On 6 March 2015 at 15:52, <techies-f...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Ict Manager <i...@westlandhigh.school.nz>: Mar 05 04:19PM -0800

Anyone else having this problem?

users are getting "you do not have permission to" errors. permissions fix,
recovery-resetpassword fix both fail, only answer is to do those then a
complete re-install of the OS.
It appears to happen after an OS update. And its getting quite annoying.
its a two hour repair and i've 25 laptops just in.
Stephen Moran <ti....@ihug.co.nz>: Mar 06 01:27PM +1300

Does the standard Admin login work OK?
Do a ls -le /Users/ in terminal and check what the permissions are on the home folders, maybe the latest TELA login hook has broken. A simple chmod -RN /Users/ might fix it.

Stephen

flow in <i...@westlandhigh.school.nz>: Mar 06 01:45PM +1300

it seems to be something broken in the group handling - the users lose
their membership in the staff group and it cannot be restored. Not a disk
permission issue, but rather an OS issue

--
[image: Westland High School logo]

Flow In, MA hons Cantab, MSc | ICT Technician | WESTLAND HIGH SCHOOL

Phone: 03 755 6054 | Cell: 022 027 5107 | Fax: 03 755 6269 |
i...@westlandhigh.school.nz
PO Box 154, 140 Hampden Street, Hokitika 7842
http://www.westlandhigh.school.nz/

WHAKATERE I Ā TĀTOU HAERENGA - NAVIGATING OUR JOURNEYS

delete this e-mail from your system.

Stephen Moran <ti....@ihug.co.nz>: Mar 06 01:51PM +1300

Thats quite fascinating, I wonder how they’ve done that. You’ve looked in the Advanced Options in Users & Groups I take it?

flow in <i...@westlandhigh.school.nz>: Mar 06 01:52PM +1300

yes. :)

i'm thinking perhaps local dscl database corruption

--
[image: Westland High School logo]

Flow In, MA hons Cantab, MSc | ICT Technician | WESTLAND HIGH SCHOOL

Phone: 03 755 6054 | Cell: 022 027 5107 | Fax: 03 755 6269 |
i...@westlandhigh.school.nz
PO Box 154, 140 Hampden Street, Hokitika 7842
http://www.westlandhigh.school.nz/

WHAKATERE I Ā TĀTOU HAERENGA - NAVIGATING OUR JOURNEYS

delete this e-mail from your system.

Keith Craig <kei...@dilworth.school.nz>: Mar 06 01:02AM

Sometimes reinstalling the latest "Combo" OS update can help fix things if there is an OS problem without resorting to a full OS reinstall.
Are the machines bound to AD?

Use the Directory services command line to check group membership:
In the terminal
dscl localhost
cd /Local/Default/Groups
read staff ;now note down PrimaryGroupID
Cd /Local/Default/Users
Read <username>

Check group membership here (PrimaryGroupID) compare this to the group ID for staff

Keith Craig BCom PGDipBus(IS) CNE
Systems Administrator
Phone +64 9 5231060 x843 Mobile +64 (0) 21541549

[cid:F9630DAE-B45F-4AD2-9831-20DCF51C144B]

From: flow in <i...@westlandhigh.school.nz<mailto:i...@westlandhigh.school.nz>>
Date: Friday, 6 March 2015 1:45 pm
To: "techies-f...@googlegroups.com<mailto:techies-f...@googlegroups.com>" <techies-f...@googlegroups.com<mailto:techies-f...@googlegroups.com>>
Subject: Re: [techies-for-schools] latest TELA yosemite laptops getting errors that require re-installation of OS

Phone: 03 755 6054 | Cell: 022 027 5107 | Fax: 03 755 6269 | i...@westlandhigh.school.nz<mailto:i...@westlandhigh.school.nz>
PO Box 154, 140 Hampden Street, Hokitika 7842
http://www.westlandhigh.school.nz/

WHAKATERE I ? T?TOU HAERENGA - NAVIGATING OUR JOURNEYS

On 6/03/2015, at 1:19 pm, Ict Manager <i...@westlandhigh.school.nz<mailto:i...@westlandhigh.school.nz>> wrote:

Anyone else having this problem?

users are getting "you do not have permission to" errors. permissions fix, recovery-resetpassword fix both fail, only answer is to do those then a complete re-install of the OS.
It appears to happen after an OS update. And its getting quite annoying. its a two hour repair and i've 25 laptops just in.

Are you trying to install it on a domain? Have just configured up 4 new
Tela Apple Mac Air's no problems, but we don't try and join a domain.

--
*Alistair Baird*
*IT Manager*

ok.

the user was not in the staff group. i used dseditgroup to add them but it
didn't help. my working admin user is not in the staff group either, so its
not that.
the users are OD network users - not AD. i think that might have something
to do with it. Next step is deleting the user and trying to re-create them

--
[image: Westland High School logo]

Flow In, MA hons Cantab, MSc | ICT Technician | WESTLAND HIGH SCHOOL

Phone: 03 755 6054 | Cell: 022 027 5107 | Fax: 03 755 6269 |
i...@westlandhigh.school.nz
PO Box 154, 140 Hampden Street, Hokitika 7842
http://www.westlandhigh.school.nz/

WHAKATERE I Ā TĀTOU HAERENGA - NAVIGATING OUR JOURNEYS

delete this e-mail from your system.

Craig Knights <craig....@gmail.com>: Mar 06 11:56AM +1300

One of our staff is going on short term parental leave. He has an accounts
program on his windows desktop machine he'd like to use from home..

So... options.. he could RDP in to our existing RDP server and then RDP
to his desktop and run his program, but double RDP'ing is confusing and
sometimes slow...

Could install the program on the remote server.. license cost? would
having that program on there for all to see be a good idea?

Could enable RDP on his computer, set a static IP address, get the computer
an external address, say name.mcglashan.school.nz
<http://callum.mcglashan.school.nz/>, just like our RDP server,
but overkill for short term access??

Or I find something like TeamViewer but not $870 for a license!!...

any good ideas?

thanks,
Craig
Joel Chandler <j.cha...@ecc.qld.edu.au>: Mar 06 09:04AM +1000

Having to recently doing this here. I like this option maybe just give him
an IP address instead. Depends how many external in addresses you have.

"Could enable RDP on his computer, set a static IP address, get the
computer an external address, say name.mcglashan.school.nz
<http://callum.mcglashan.school.nz/>, just like our RDP server,
but overkill for short term access??"

Or set up a VPN connection and RDP over that? Keep VPN connection for other
solutions?

--
*Joel Chandler *
*Dean of Teaching and Learning*

--
*Emerald Christian College *
PO BOX 1993 Emerald Qld 4720

Or you could try Pertino?

--
*Joel Chandler *
*Dean of Teaching and Learning*

--
*Emerald Christian College *
PO BOX 1993 Emerald Qld 4720
Phone: 07 4982 0977
Fax: 07 4982 0244
Email: off...@ecc.qld.edu.au
Keith Craig <kei...@dilworth.school.nz>: Mar 05 11:08PM

VPN is the easiest way to go - set this up on the RDP server. Provided he is using a windows machine to connect to the VPN (had problems with Mac and Linux clients connecting to windows VPN) he can connect to the VPN then RDP to his office computer.

Keith Craig BCom PGDipBus(IS) CNE
Systems Administrator
Phone +64 9 5231060 x843 Mobile +64 (0) 21541549

[cid:33479C59-3CB4-4829-9495-A539F265D6A4]

From: Joel Chandler <j.cha...@ecc.qld.edu.au<mailto:j.cha...@ecc.qld.edu.au>>
Date: Friday, 6 March 2015 12:04 pm
To: "techies-f...@googlegroups.com<mailto:techies-f...@googlegroups.com>" <techies-f...@googlegroups.com<mailto:techies-f...@googlegroups.com>>
Subject: Re: [techies-for-schools] Short term remote access

On Friday, 6 March 2015, Craig Knights <craig....@gmail.com<mailto:craig....@gmail.com>> wrote:
[...]

[http://www.ecc.qld.edu.au/uploads/3/9/4/2/3942688/9302090.jpg] Emerald Christian College
PO BOX 1993 Emerald Qld 4720
Phone: 07 4982 0977
Fax: 07 4982 0244
Email: off...@ecc.qld.edu.au<mailto:off...@ecc.qld.edu.au> [http://www.ecc.qld.edu.au/uploads/3/9/4/2/3942688/7079056.png]

Ah, love this one.... isn't he on leave?? Take leave ! Leave work!!

--
*Alistair Baird*
*IT Manager*
*St Peters College *
*p 06 354 4198*
*m 021 990 259*
*e bai...@stpeterspn.school.nz <bai...@stpeterspn.school.nz>*
Tracy Briscoe <Tra...@stpeters.school.nz>: Mar 06 12:16AM

I’ve not used it myself, but RD Gateway may be a solution.
http://redmondmag.com/articles/2013/12/24/rd-gateway-in-windows-server.aspx

Regards,

Mr Tracy Briscoe
Network Engineer

St Peter's School, Cambridge, Private Bag 884, Cambridge 3450, New Zealand
P +64 7 827 9899 ext 254 l F +64 7 827 9812
www.stpeters.school.nz<http://www.stpeters.school.nz/>

One of our staff is going on short term parental leave. He has an accounts program on his windows desktop machine he'd like to use from home..

So... options.. he could RDP in to our existing RDP server and then RDP to his desktop and run his program, but double RDP'ing is confusing and sometimes slow...

Could install the program on the remote server.. license cost? would having that program on there for all to see be a good idea?

Could enable RDP on his computer, set a static IP address, get the computer an external address, say name.mcglashan.school.nz<http://callum.mcglashan.school.nz/>, just like our RDP server, but overkill for short term access??

Or I find something like TeamViewer but not $870 for a license!!...

any good ideas?

thanks,
Craig

Note: This communication may contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the addressee named above. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author. If you have received this message in error, we request you delete the message and notify the sender. Please do not distribute, copy or disclose any information. This e-mail has been scanned for viruses but all liability for viruses or similar in any attachment or message is excluded.

St Peter's School, Cambridge, New Zealand
Telephone: 647 827 9899 Fax: 647 827 9812
Website: www.stpeters.school.nz<http://www.stpeters.school.nz/>

trevor storr <tre...@storr.org.nz>: Mar 06 02:10PM +1300

Pfsense, openvpn on client machine & client (with some push routes) is able
to access the (parts of) LAN. Either rdp to end point or use the LAN from
the client.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Tracy Briscoe <Tra...@stpeters.school.nz>
wrote:

--
cheers

Trevor

Trevor Storr
Director of eLearning, CantaNET http://educo.vln.school.nz
Waimate High School
Waimate
New Zealand
Gillian Ellison <gi...@rurued.school.nz>: Mar 06 03:11PM +1300

I do the same thing on my work PC, it has to be left turned on, but that
works fine if I just turn off the monitor.
We have N4L connection at school and they have given us VPN client files to
install.
Prior to N4L we had OpenVPN installed on our pfsense box, which worked
great.
Set a static IP, enable sharing.
Then from home I connect the VPN software and use Remote Desktop with the
static IP address. As long as home connection has good Broadband speeds
then no noticeable lags. Our school's fibre made a big difference to
usability.

Gill Ellison
0210531505

On 6/03/2015, at 11:56 am, Craig Knights <craig....@gmail.com> wrote:

One of our staff is going on short term parental leave. He has an accounts
program on his windows desktop machine he'd like to use from home..

So... options.. he could RDP in to our existing RDP server and then RDP
to his desktop and run his program, but double RDP'ing is confusing and
sometimes slow...

Could install the program on the remote server.. license cost? would
having that program on there for all to see be a good idea?

Could enable RDP on his computer, set a static IP address, get the computer
an external address, say name.mcglashan.school.nz
<http://callum.mcglashan.school.nz/>, just like our RDP server,
but overkill for short term access??

Or I find something like TeamViewer but not $870 for a license!!...

any good ideas?

thanks,
Craig

ah, nice we're N4L too..

I'll give them a call.

thanks,
Craig

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Gillian Ellison <gi...@rurued.school.nz>
wrote:

Alistair Baird <bai...@stpeterspn.school.nz>: Mar 06 09:31AM +1300

They are low voltage (yes, 230v is low voltage wrt Electrical regs)
applicances, and are not part of the fixed wiring, so you can service it,
just so long as you unplug it form the wall whenyou do.

--
*Alistair Baird*
*IT Manager*
*St Peters College *
*p 06 354 4198*
*m 021 990 259*
*e bai...@stpeterspn.school.nz <bai...@stpeterspn.school.nz>*
Bevan McNaughton <bevan.mc...@southlandgirls.school.nz>: Mar 06 09:33AM +1300

You are completely fine opening a desktop computer to fix it as the PSU
from 230VAC is completely self-contained and it's output is no more that
12V DC. In cases where it's an external Class 2 PSU (like a laptop power
supply) it's isolated from mains anyway.

IF you open up the power supply on a desktop PC (internal model) itself
then it will require electrical re-certification.
IF you open up a Nework Switch which has an exposed PSU on the same casing
as the main PCB then it will require electrical re-certification.

The main issue is that the PSU (for a desktop PC since it's 99% of the time
a Class 1 appliance) should have full grounding from the PSU to the chassis
- obviously this is always the case since the PSU bolts/screws onto the
chassis. If you have any type of dubiousness about it then get it appliance
tested, or measure the difference from earth to the chassis at no more than
1 Ohms.

Tell the sparky to do his own homework.

Regards,
Bevan McNaughton.

--
Bevan McNaughton
Intranet Manager

Southland Girls' High School
328 Tweed Street
Invercargill 9812

Phone: +64 3 211 6030
Fax: +64 3 216 9010
"Patrick Dunford" <kahuk...@gmail.com>: Mar 06 01:33PM +1300

The electrical code is to do with opening a case that contains live mains components. In the era of AT-type computers these had a mains switch in the chassis which had live wires going to it. These cases could not legally be opened, although this was widely flouted.

Since the evolution to ATX and other similar designs of PC, the mains components are all fully contained within the power supply and there is no such issue unless you open the power supply case.

However if you service Mac or other types of computers these often contain live power supply components without a separate enclosure and if you open such a device the regulations do apply.