Tips for #0365 Cloud Storage for schools

Sam McNeill

Mar 2, 2017, 3:35:25 PM3/2/17
to Techies for schools
Dear All,

I'm having more and more conversations with schools that are interested in moving their local network shares to the O365 cloud but are confused about whether to use Sharepoint Online sites, Office365 Groups, or OneDrive For Business.

I've linked to a good blog and tips in the following post:

https://samuelmcneill.com/2017/03/03/are-you-migrating-to-onedrive-for-business-or-not/

Hope that his helpful,

Cheers
Sam

Mike Etheridge

Mar 2, 2017, 3:37:08 PM3/2/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. Must be a regional thing, because I know hardly any schools wanting to move to O365.

Mike

signature.asc

Sam McNeill

Mar 2, 2017, 3:46:54 PM3/2/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

Many of these conversations are with schools already using O365 and are exploring how they can best leverage the cloud storage available to them (the common goal is reducing costs associated with managing local network shares, and increasing access to resources when off the school network).

In terms of regionality - I guess this varies from our perspective, the the calls last week were from Invercargill to the North Shore of AKL.

Cheers
Sam

Matt Strickland

Mar 2, 2017, 6:26:03 PM3/2/17
to Techies for schools
We are certainly down this road and mostly using Office 365 Groups for Classroom/Faculty management and OneDrive for personal (teacher/student) storage/backup. We are not using Sharepoint Sites/Online.
For me I prefer using the OneDrive Windows 10 built in app for syncing the personal (school) OneDrive account. The business version is needed to sync groups/Sharepoint sites but we don't do this.

Unfortunately OneDrive native is broken in the latest Tela image :(

Students use "Outlook Groups" app which is the blend of conversations, file storage, onenote, calendar and notifications all grouped together. They also install supporting apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.

The issue I seem to have is that Android can upload/create folders in Outlook Groups, however iOS equivalent don't seem to be able to at this point.

Matt

Sam McNeill

Mar 2, 2017, 6:50:13 PM3/2/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear Matt.

Feature parity between OS's is not quite there at this stage as you're finding out I'm afraid.

Kevin Whelan

Mar 2, 2017, 8:04:54 PM3/2/17
to Techies for schools
when they finally fix all the filename restrictions it may actually work like google drive or dropbox does. test#1.doc is a perfectly valid name, Come on MS you update the app almost weekly on phones at phenomenal files sizes now and yet leave the most annoying of bugs

Patrick Dunford

Mar 2, 2017, 8:23:45 PM3/2/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Probably as many moving from Windows servers to Google Drive as O365. Google got ahead to start with because the feedback we got from schools was that O365 was too complex to set up and use.

Sam McNeill

Mar 2, 2017, 8:42:23 PM3/2/17
to Techies for schools
That's it Patrick - there's always choice out there ;)

the post was just a link to interested schools or ICT admins who are already dealing with O365 to help clarify the offerings there.

Have a great weekend all.

J B

Mar 3, 2017, 1:42:56 AM3/3/17
to Techies for schools

Have you tried microsoft classroom, its kind of like a uber group with doc libraries and calander and assignments and onenote notebook all in one.  We are using it for classrooms this year.

Jeffrey.

Mar 7, 2017, 8:33:46 PM3/7/17
to Techies for schools
Hi Kevin,

Asked internally and the fix to support filenames like the one you suggested is not far away ....

Andreas Kubisch

Mar 8, 2017, 3:12:26 PM3/8/17
to Techies for schools, Adam Meers, Caitiann Huia, Tracey Raouf-Morton, Richard Warriner

Hi,

Our testers here need some friendly guinea pigs with access to IE 11 and above. The latest version of PaCT we are testing is showing some troubling behaviour on IE11  - but only on some PCs and not on others. We need to get a better handle on how prevalent the problem is and how likely it is to happen for actual  users out in schools. If you have access to IE11 or above and would be willing to do a quick test for us could you please get in touch and we will send you access details and some instructions. If you can’t or don’t want to then that is all good – I fully understand – we are all busy at this time of the year.

Cheers

Andreas

Andreas Kubisch | Senior Business Systems Analyst
DDI +6444637642 | Ext 47642 | Mobile +64 27 699 4221

Sam McNeill

May 14, 2017, 10:49:37 PM5/14/17
to Techies for schools, Adam....@education.govt.nz, Caitia...@education.govt.nz, Tracey.Ra...@education.govt.nz, Richard....@education.govt.nz
Hi All,

I know in previous threads and hinted at in the above comments were frustrations around OneDrive sync and limitations around file names (use of characters/length etc) as well as selective sync.

I see at Build 17 last week they announced OneDrive Files on Demand which is similar to what used to exist in Windows 8 I believe - summary here:

It's coming in the Win10 Fall Creators Update and for schools that have very low capacity SSD for staff/student devices this should be an awesome addition, especially with ubiquity of fibre via N4L

Cheers
Sam