RE: [techies-for-schools] Random Deletions from Google Drive

J B

Jun 15, 2015, 7:28:14 PM6/15/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Shared or compromised passwords?

Sent from my Windows Phone

From: Dan Robinson
Sent: ‎6/‎16/‎2015 11:20 AM
To: techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [techies-for-schools] Random Deletions from Google Drive

So I have a couple teachers who are having random deletions of docs in google drive that they say is not their doing:
According to the users (I have not witnessed first hand), a problem occurred last week where two users were collaborating using files in Drive when files began disappearing out of the Drive and portions of open files (Google Docs) were deleted also. The activity log showed that the users in question had deleted the files from drive and the files were able to be restored. The users assure me that they witnessed things being deleted from their Drive that was not of their doing. They also said that the deletions happened so quickly it leads me to believe it was some sort of scripted action. Here are the details I have so far:
Friday 12th June 2015, starting in afternoon and periodically since
Windows 7
Chrome browser
neither user uses the Drive sync tool or whatever it is called
Symantec AV up to date and working

Anyone ever experience anything like this?

At the moment I am thinking it is something localised to the machine or browser but welcome any input that could help.

Dan

Tim Harper

Jun 15, 2015, 7:32:26 PM6/15/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
... or even a shared doc that someone else has rights to delete?

regards,

Tim Harper

Phone 0800 755 966 option 2 then 3 (SchoolZone)
Phone 03 443 5167 (DDI)
Mobile 027 443 1236
Fax 03 443 0491

t...@mtaspiring.school.nz
www.mtaspiring.school.nz

Alistair Baird

Jun 15, 2015, 7:33:00 PM6/15/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Google reports will also show you the users activity and (public) IP of the machine they logged in on, look for duplicate logons.

On 16 June 2015 at 11:25, J B <sensat...@hotmail.com> wrote:

--
Alistair Baird
IT Manager

Pete Mundy

Jun 15, 2015, 7:47:49 PM6/15/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Given that Dan says the activity log indicates it was the user accounts in question that deleted the files I don't think this applies.
I'd concur with JB though that it might be prudent to change said account passwords.

Would def be interested to hear what this is eventually tracked down to too!

Pete

Bevan McNaughton

Jun 15, 2015, 9:37:05 PM6/15/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I had a school last week who had a set of new Galaxy Tabs issued to Teacher Aides. They were browsing shared folders and although they were only supposed to have 'Can View' access, soon files started disappearing. They are still looking into why but it was interesting to see a similar event mentioned.

Bevan

Bevan McNaughton
Intranet Manager
MCP, MTCNA, CAP, Google Ed.

Southland Girls' High School
328 Tweed Street
Invercargill 9812

Fax:     +64 3 216 9010
Mobile: 027 223 2144

Fergus Stanton

Jun 15, 2015, 9:59:31 PM6/15/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Do the files go into the Bin? Possibly the Delete key gets stuck down? Unlikely as it’s a couple of teachers but I just tested and you can clear out a folder by holding down Delete if any file is selected!

Image removed by sender.

Fax:     +64 3 216 9010

Mobile: 027 223 2144

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you have received it by mistake, please reply to this email and notify us of the error, and then delete the email and the reply. You must not act on any message received by mistake in any way.