Crypto Mining

Landyn Frisby

Jun 21, 2017, 6:29:49 AM6/21/17
to Techies for schools
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is into Crypto Mining and to what sort of scale they are doing it? If you have looked for a graphics card lately they are all sold out and very hard to find. The world is going crazy for GPU's right now especially AMD RX580 and RX480.

Bevan McNaughton

Jun 21, 2017, 5:23:43 PM6/21/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I've got a few cycles running of a couple of Servers I own (CPU wise) and a beefed up workstation (nVidia K4000, GTX1060 & GT640) and it's interesting at most to see how different cryptocurencies run.
An i7 is a baby compared to the GTX1060 for H/s, 100ish H/s for the i7 and up to 500KH/s for the 1060 (K4000 is a waste of time).

For a laugh I tried one of the classroom PC's here to get an idea of compatible processing power (it's actually a good way to benchmark and stress test a PC with issues) and for an i5 with a NVS310 it's not going to get you anywhere quickly.

Unless a rig is fine tuned it's almost more cost effective having the PC idle or off than stress it and pay for the extra power it'll burn through.
Mind you - a computer suite overnight in winter pressing out some heavy cryptomining is one way to heat part of a school in those cold winter months...

Bevan

On 21 June 2017 at 22:29, Landyn Frisby <lfr...@jameshargest.school.nz> wrote:
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is into Crypto Mining and to what sort of scale they are doing it? If you have looked for a graphics card lately they are all sold out and very hard to find. The world is going crazy for GPU's right now especially AMD RX580 and RX480.

Bevan McNaughton
Intranet Manager
MCP, MTCNA, CAP, UEWA, Google Ed.

Southland Girls' High School