Mac Offline File Sync in a Mainly Windows Enviroment

Daniel Nitschke

Apr 24, 2017, 5:34:36 AM4/24/17
to Techies for schools
Dealing with one school at the moment that from the get go was basically all Windows, they've slowly moved towards Mac TELA leases and now they have about 25 or 30 of them.
Syncing never used to be an issue, however now it just doesn't seem to work. File duplicates, failures, can't delete etc. Tried Mobile Home Sync, Synkron etc

The obvious solution is of course to get a Mac server up and running, but just thought I would ask for any miraculous alternatives that have worked well, or if anyone is having similar grief?
Currently we've been considering moving all Mac staff to the Google Drive > this way it's synced regardless if they are on site, any network share just gets done through RDP.

Pete Eaton

Apr 24, 2017, 5:55:12 AM4/24/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently using nomad (https://www.nomad.menu/) which manages authentication to AD without having to domain join.  It is scriptable and gives access to home directory etc.  I think that plus Google Drive is probably a better solution overall.

Pete

Sent from my iPhone

Pete Mundy

Apr 24, 2017, 5:43:09 PM4/24/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

+1 for Mr Eaton Esquire's reply - focus on the Google Drive for your network storage.

(or maybe consider a good AFP-capable NAS, possibly something like a QNAP)

A 'Mac Server' ain't what it was cracked up to be 10 years ago (or even 5!)... That's partly why the price dropped from near NZ$2K for the software down to about 20 bucks on the app store ;)

As a side note, just three weeks ago I just moved 1TB of data from a school's local AFP share on their Mac Server over to Google Team Drives (which have unlimited storage for education institutions). One of the primary goals with that move was to ease access to the data within those shares from Windows PCs outside of the school network (which, granted, could have also been done 100 other ways, but this approach did work well).

But, as always, YMMV...

Pete

Alistair Baird

Apr 24, 2017, 8:57:52 PM4/24/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I set up a time machine backup to a shared NAS drive, seemed to work fir our 15 or so iMacs until the Art students filled it up with their thousands of photos (hi-res) and several takes of their photoshop portfolios, not to mention the 20Gb school magazine.

Had to do some setup for the shared drive to be recognised and not hog the whole drive.

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198