Musac enrol wrapper

Patrick Dunford

Jun 11, 2015, 1:08:42 AM6/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We are trying to install the WSS wrapper for Musac onto a PC and have struck problems with the setup where at the end it asks for the location of the Musac database. For 99.99999999999% of people this will be on a network drive. And guess what? The program refuses to allow network drives to be browsed. It will only browse local drives.

Musac support insists that I must be able to locate M:\CM on a network drive which is patently absurd so the only option I seem to have left to me is to enter this value manually, any ideas how to do this?

--
Patrick Dunford

Jonathan Webster

Jun 11, 2015, 2:41:36 AM6/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Could you map a drive to your network location?

net use m: \\server\  /P:Yes

Where the DB is found in \\server\cm\

Jonathan Webster
Senior Engineer - Infrastructure, The Network for Learning Ltd

D: 09 222 2402 | M: 022 040 3300 | W: http://www.n4l.co.nz
A: Suite 306, Geyser Building, 100 Parnell Road, Parnell, Auckland 1052
P: PO Box 37118, Parnell, Auckland 1151

Patrick Dunford

Jun 11, 2015, 5:10:14 AM6/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
No dice. I had four network drives mapped, it wouldn’t allow me to browse any of them.

--
Patrick Dunford
System Administrator

Peter Eaton

Jun 11, 2015, 5:18:23 AM6/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
A simple thing that I overlooked recently was that MUSAC apps when installing or updating in place almost always require "Run As Administrator" when launched to work correctly - I got all sorts of weird (undocumented) behaviour that support could not explain when I didn't do that.   You are probably already doing this already, but I thought it may be worth mentioning.

Pete

Andrew Godfrey

Jun 11, 2015, 5:25:02 AM6/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

But if you run as administrator, won't you lose your user network mappings?

Peter Eaton

Jun 11, 2015, 5:34:47 AM6/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Possibly.  If that is the case, make a .bat/cmd script that maps the drive before running the installer - run the whole script as an admin so the drive is mapped in the correct context.

Pete

Patrick Dunford

Jun 11, 2015, 6:02:15 AM6/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
That might be worth looking into. They confusingly state “you need a windows admin account” without detailing that is the step you may have to undertake.

--
Patrick Dunford
System Administrator

J B

Jun 11, 2015, 6:25:04 AM6/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I used to logon as an admin account beforehand then map drives to do the initial setup due to the whole user context switch that has been discussed.  Either the batch file or the admin logon first should let you do it.

So happy to have moved away from musac every time this kind of stuff comes up, I'll bet they're still only supporting up to windows 7 in the documentation as well.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Jun 11, 2015, 11:08:29 PM6/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Your other option is to add 'EnableLinkedConnections' in registry for those machines. (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/System) DWORD=1

This should work for any mapped drive under a standard account with an exception; if a user maps to a folder within a share, the privileged user will map to the root, not the folder within.

Regards,

Matthew Strickland
Karamu High School