Experience with Lenovo?

Tracy Briscoe

Jul 21, 2016, 8:09:02 PM7/21/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Hi All

We’ve traditionally used HP or Dell workstations, and found them to be very reliable, and the service to be great in the few cases when something has failed.

While getting pricing for budgets a supplier has suggested Lenovo as an option.

Any comments on the quality of Lenovo workstations, their reliability and the after sales support gratefully received.

Regards,

Mr Tracy Briscoe

Network Engineer

St Peter's School, Cambridge, NZ

www.stpeters.school.nz

growing-great-people

Note: This communication may contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the addressee named above. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author. If you have received this message in error, we request you delete the message and notify the sender. Please do not distribute, copy or disclose any information. This e-mail has been scanned for viruses but all liability for viruses or similar in any attachment or message is excluded.

St Peter's School, Cambridge, New Zealand
Telephone: 647 827 9899 Fax: 647 827 9812
Website: www.stpeters.school.nz

Kevin Whelan

Jul 24, 2016, 5:32:23 PM7/24/16
to Techies for schools
generally very highly regarded and ususally get great reviews online by test sites. Like anything though I'm sure they have a cheap option like most brands,you do get what your pay for.

Matthew Strickland

Jul 24, 2016, 11:02:04 PM7/24/16
to Techies for schools
We still have several 80+? Lenovo Edge 71z all-in-one (7567-Y2M) and not one as missed a beat, around 5 years old now.

I also have purchased several Lenovo ex-lease desktops (without screen) as these can be as low as $300 per desktop for a 2-1/2 year old machine.
The recent purchase was some micro PC's Lenovo 3237-M92p which are donkey desktops which run windows 10 + office fine.

I use update retriever to hold a repository driver set and use that in a task sequence to deploy OS/driver updates, seems to work better than HP's SoftPaq/SSM.

I cant comment on laptops however, only HP/Toshiba/Acer - surprisingly Acer have been the best value for us so far.

Matt

Garth Johnson

Jul 28, 2016, 8:07:41 PM7/28/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi there

My tuppence worth.. I came to this school (Lenovo shop) from a Dell shop. Over the last 5 years, I have found Lenovo to be overpriced, underpowered, and prone to hardware faults.

Add to that atrocious after sales service and overly long lead times for the simplest of parts (how does 6 weeks for a simple Hard drive sound?)

During that time I have also managed to get some Dell gear in, which has performed better than equivalent spec Lenovo, with no faults (coming up 3 years now).

Just my experience - from a fleet of over 350 units, 462 warranty issues and counting since January 2012

Garth

Ros Lee

Jul 31, 2016, 10:10:02 PM7/31/16
to Techies for schools
All our desktops are Lenovo All-in-Ones.  Very low failure rate.    Local after sales support excellent but on the odd occasion that they have needed parts supplied by Lenovo there has been a considerable delay.  We have just moved to a new local repairer and they responded to a recent warranty issue very promptly.  Also pretty happy with our Lenovo Chromebooks now after sorting a couple of failed battery issues recently.

Ros Lee
ICT Manager
Otumoetai College
Tauranga