Wireless Options

Blake Richardson

Nov 8, 2016, 5:53:38 PM11/8/16
to Techies for schools
Hi Everyone

I am starting the process of looking into wireless providers, currently we are using Ruckus however recently we have been having problems with a particular model of AP but which doesn't seem to like our network. I've spent 6 months now trying to get this resolved and am not having much luck even with the supplier and Ruckus themselves being involved.

Around 6 years ago we bought the Ruckus system and at the time I also remember looking at Trapeze, Extricom and Xirrus, Aerohive wasn't in NZ at that time. I need something that is fully managed, has good local support and is quick to deploy.

If anyone has any recommendations I would be very happy to hear them.

Thanks!

Alistair Baird

Nov 8, 2016, 6:13:28 PM11/8/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
If your Ruckus is 6 years old, that could be why you are likely having problems. We have issues with Apple devices not reconnecting after idle timeout - but due to the age of our hardware we are at the end of life. I believe there is a resolution to the Apple problem in the new hardware/firmware which we are about to get due to WSNUP. Otherwise Ruckus has been very good for us.

I think Ubiquity was another option.

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 482 937

Craig Knights

Nov 8, 2016, 6:22:42 PM11/8/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Which AP? We got burnt by problems with the older 7363 and had to move to ac band APs faster than we had planned..  then we had to enable proxy arp on the r600s to improve performance...

Craig

Alistair Baird

Nov 8, 2016, 6:24:24 PM11/8/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
7962's.

Andrew Godfrey

Nov 8, 2016, 6:43:03 PM11/8/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
7962 units are EOL devices due to the insufficient RAM onboard.

We had all sorts of problems with them rebooting last year and had to keep running on older version of firmware until I could replace them all with R600 units which are performing really well alongside the 7982 units.

Our ZD is probably about 6 years old as well and still going strong.

_______________________________________

Andrew Godfrey  |  Network Manager

On 9 November 2016 at 12:24, Alistair Baird <bai...@stpeterspn.school.nz> wrote:
7962's.

Andrew Godfrey

Nov 8, 2016, 6:46:43 PM11/8/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

On 9 November 2016 at 12:22, Craig Knights <craig....@gmail.com> wrote:

had to enable proxy arp on the r600s to improve performance

We've turned off the WLAN vlan tagged traffic on all of our switch ports except trunks between switches and to APs so those blinking arp requests don't propagate through the entire network. Might consider the proxy arp as well. Was it easy to do? Any gotchas?

Craig Knights

Nov 8, 2016, 6:48:59 PM11/8/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
The proxy ARP caused an immediate massive jump in performance.  But we are running a very flat and broadcasty network...  which is where Ruckus recommends it..

yes the RAM limitation was what was causing the same issue on the 7363's too.

Raewyn Nicholson

Nov 8, 2016, 7:34:08 PM11/8/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We have Ruckus 7982's, with a couple of 7962/7343's dotted around.  Have been advised by our IT firm that to add anything new or update the 7962/7343's that are EOL we will need to upgrade our Zone Director (currently ZD100 through SNUP, two years old).

Raewyn Nicholson
Administrator

This communication is confidential and may contain privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or retain it.  If you have received it in error please immediately notify me by return email and delete the emails.  Thank You

Craig Knights

Nov 8, 2016, 7:44:10 PM11/8/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
we moved to a Ruckus vSCG to get away from the ZD upgrade cycle...  and you can add AP licenses one-at-a-time...

we have two ZD's sitting unused on our shelf..  quite annoying..

CJK

Sam McNeill

Nov 9, 2016, 3:33:52 PM11/9/16
to Techies for schools
Hi Blake,

We did a PoC with Aruba in Term 3 using Airwave for reporting and ClearPass for on boarding - the results were outstanding. We were all set to replace our ~220 HPE access points with ~170 Aruba APs in January except due to staff leaving in the ICT team we have to delay this to April holidays most likely.

Happy to chat further if interested or put you in touch with who assisted in the PoC.

Cheers
Sam

Patrick Dunford

Nov 9, 2016, 6:16:09 PM11/9/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

So what is the longevity of 7982s like?

We have 38 about to be ripped out and another school wants them, so they must be ok...?

Andrew Godfrey

Nov 9, 2016, 8:11:40 PM11/9/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

They've got more RAM so are fine for now. Ruckus has a EoL table on their support site.

ictdi...@kowhai.school.nz

Nov 14, 2016, 3:33:48 PM11/14/16
to Techies for schools
We run Aerohive prior to and post SNUP and have been very happy with it. However I believe there was some sort of subsidy via SNUP which meant we got them at a reduced price and that subsidy has now expired so they are more expensive than other brands???

Simon - OBHS

Nov 14, 2016, 4:29:37 PM11/14/16
to Techies for schools
We also run Aerohive...to the best of my knowledge, they no longer do an education pricing tier and the general costs have increased. I dont know how they compare to other brands, but from the top of my head it was roughly $1000 for an AP230 with 5 year licence.

Jude Elliot

Nov 14, 2016, 8:30:28 PM11/14/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Re Aerohive,  if anyone needs any HiveAP 330's we have many as we took Aerohive out as it never worked satisfactorily. They have poe's and wall brackets. No idea about licenses. Contact me on ju...@darfield.school.nz for more info.

Jude

On 15/11/2016 10:29 am, "Simon - OBHS" <simon....@obhs.school.nz> wrote:
We also run Aerohive...to the best of my knowledge, they no longer do an education pricing tier and the general costs have increased. I dont know how they compare to other brands, but from the top of my head it was roughly $1000 for an AP230 with 5 year licence.

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.