Ipad VPP apps

kahuk...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2015, 9:03:04 PM2/16/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Afternoon all,

The day has finally arrived that someone needed to purchase an app for an Ipad and now I need to figure out how to get the VPP codes spreadsheet for the app install. Last year we had someone from GCSN come to the school and from this visit they set up a pair of AppleIDs for us to use in conjunction with the VPP program. One of these has a credit card attached to it and is able to download apps from the App Store for use with the Ipads when set up in configurator. I am not sure what the other AppleID does.

To confuse things further Apple has a website called deploy.apple.com which is for a deploy program called Volume Purchase Program. It seems this is some completely different VPP because it does not like either of my AppleIDs.

Yesterday I used my primary AppleID with the credit card to purchase an app. After the purchase went through the messages on the screen told me I would need to get a VPP spreadsheet of codes to install the app on multiple Ipads. Where do I go to to get this spreadsheet? My primary AppleID apparently has the authority to import this spreadsheet into configurator.

Also I vaguely understand one of the AppleIDs has access to some system that will allow me to create subsidiary AppleIDs for staff who need them to manage their own cluster of Ipads with the configurator.

Sent from Windows Mail

Craig Knights

Feb 16, 2015, 9:27:50 PM2/16/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

I made a new appleid using an alias of my school email.  This let me in to the deploy part of the site.

Ta
Craig.

J B

Feb 17, 2015, 12:06:32 AM2/17/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
It depends on which method you use to manage the ipads, if using profile manager you can use the vpp feature that gives you redeployable licenses instead of keys.  If using configurator or another system I think you can use the nonrevocable code list method.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Feb 17, 2015, 4:22:04 PM2/17/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to the "exciting" world of iOS VPP licensing. If you log into the VPP site (https://volume.itunes.apple.com/nz/store) and click on your email address in the top right, then click on Purchase History, you'll be able to download your spreadsheet of codes.

The two Apple ID's for VPP are thus: A manager and an Administrator. I could have this around the wrong way but essentially an Administrator can't do anything except create and assign managers, who can actually go out and buy things. Weird I know, but set and forget.

Redeemable Codes:
A one-way gift of an app to an Apple ID. Essentially fancy iTunes vouchers. If you're using Apple Configurator then you can pull licenses back off iPads and swap them around but if you lose your Configurator machine or the iPad goes funny the license is lost. Back up the Configurator!

Managed Distribution (deploy.apple.com):
Purchase app on behalf of a user and assign their Apple ID a license. Can revoke/reassign licenses at will. Everything is stored by Apple so licenses are never lost (apparently). Preferred method for OTA/non-Configurator deployments. Needs an MDM product to manage and unique Apple ID's per device to work as designed. Technically possible to use one Apple ID for a bunch of devices but getting into fuzzy ground with Apple T&C's.

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit.