Fwd: [dunlug] New Zealand Internet Outages?

Craig Knights

Aug 25, 2015, 10:01:55 PM8/25/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
From another list I'm on..  I'm curious.. Anybody got anything to add?

Ta
Craig

Hi there
I have noticed a pattern with New zealand internet. I have noticed
that just about all internet providers loose connectivity with
Australian websites at about 2.30am on just about every Sunday
morning.
My self at home connects via Orcon to Australia... dies
My friend in Invercargill via Telcom (spark) to aussie.... dies
and my work via Vodafone to aussie... dies

How would one go about tracking who is cutting things off? Is there a
connection Hierarchy that all these isps go through to get connections
to aussie?

Craig Harrison

Aug 25, 2015, 10:27:48 PM8/25/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Craig,

Looks like an isolated problem down south. Not seeing it here.

A traceroute command to an affected Australian site from those three locations should show any common links

A traceroute command during an outage should show you the source of the issue

Suspecting they all share a common link out of Dunedin which is the cause.

You may find Chorus supplies a common backhaul for all three providers or all three providers are just reselling the same Chorus circuits.

Kind regards,

Craig.

Craig Harrison
Information Systems Manager
Direct: +64 9 520 9238
Phone:+64 9 520 0221 ext.7868
Mobile:+64 21 222 4107
char...@diocesan.school.nz<mailto:char...@diocesan.school.nz>
Helpdesk: +64 9 520 9230

[cid:logoe1628d] <https://www.diocesan.school.nz>
[cid:opendayweightd481a2] <https://goo.gl/VQibfv>
Please consider the environment before printing this email. CAUTION: The information contained in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message is prohibited. Thank you.

Alistair Baird

Aug 25, 2015, 11:30:51 PM8/25/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
For how long is the outage ? Typically Chorus do update routing tables on their backend routers through the wee small hours. If it's only for a couple of minutes. It's not a dhcp lease time is it ?

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 990 259

Kevin Whelan

Aug 26, 2015, 12:20:56 AM8/26/15
to Techies for schools
its probably just the cleaner unplugging something to plug his vacuum in
Real World Problems

Julian Davison

Aug 26, 2015, 12:25:40 AM8/26/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

That’s silly. That would result in a downtime of the entire vacuum session. He’s clearly knocking the fibre cable out with the duster and then putting it back in. More closely fits the timeframe.

Cheers, Julian

Julian Davison
Technical Consultant
Decision1 IT Solutions Ltd
PO Box 368
Dunedin
P 03 471 8232
F 03 471 8234
W www.decision1.co.nz
E jul...@decision1.co.nz

Note:
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please contact the sender immediately by return email or by telephone on +64 3 4718232.  In this case please do not act in reliance on this email or any attachments, and destroy all copies of them. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not necessarily of Decision1 IT Solutions Ltd.

Bevan McNaughton

Aug 26, 2015, 1:30:37 AM8/26/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Alistair: Depends if the ISP has upstream services of Layer 2 or Layer 3.
Vodafone and many other ISP's use Vodafone or Vocus backhaul from the main exchanges so it'd be only house->cabinet->exchange if there was an issue.
--
Bevan McNaughton
Intranet Manager

Southland Girls' High School