HP 840 G3 BIOS question

Andrew Godfrey

Jul 7, 2016, 7:46:20 PM7/7/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

We're dipping our toes in the water with the new TELA HP laptop for staff as it has a 256GB m.2 SSD drive. Woosh.......

Anywho - for years we have been using Toshiba BIOS admin and user passwords where the BIOS admin can reset the Power-on user password without knowing the Power-on user password.

On the latest HP BIOS (N75 v101.07) for this model, we can't work out how to reset the POST Power-On password when logged in to the BIOS as the admin. We usually let the user set the Power-On password themselves but we don't want to rely on them having to unset it themselves or telling us what it is before they head off to another school/country never to be seen again.

Has anyone come across the issue or use a windows utility for managing BIOS passwords on this model?

Cheers

_______________________________________

Andrew Godfrey  |  Network Manager

Matthew Strickland

Jul 8, 2016, 2:20:01 AM7/8/16
to Techies for schools
Its something I don't usually install but I think you need HP's Protect Tools and look in the BIOS configuration section.
Multiple users can be setup based on the Windows account (they can even use the fingerprint reader to enable boot)

You also must set a password for the bios administrator account so you can delete/manage users once they leave/migrate etc.

I haven't specifically used the software but have had to revert a few machine prior to lease expiry that had the factory tela image with the software.
Using admin I could delete users and revert all BIOS settings.

Cheers,

Matthew Strickland | Network Administrator
Karamu High School

Andrew Godfrey

Jul 8, 2016, 2:59:04 AM7/8/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Sounds good thanks Matthew. I'll give it a go Monday.

Cheers