ChromeBook school in Dunedin area

Chris Nelson

Mar 14, 2017, 5:22:13 PM3/14/17
to Techies for schools
A school I am involved with is all Microsoft and are investigating purchasing ChromeBooks. Is there anyone here that knows of a Dunedin area school that users them well and wouldn't mind a couple of teachers coming along and seeing how they are used best for education and student learning?

Julian Davison

Mar 14, 2017, 5:23:42 PM3/14/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
What level of school?

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Chris Nelson <taier...@gmail.com> wrote:
A school I am involved with is all Microsoft and are investigating purchasing ChromeBooks. Is there anyone here that knows of a Dunedin area school that users them well and wouldn't mind a couple of teachers coming along and seeing how they are used best for education and student learning?

Gerard MacManus

Mar 14, 2017, 5:40:02 PM3/14/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
If all microsoft based, and looking at chromebooks, it would be easier to move to google apps for education if you are looking at those, designed to manage the chromebooks, integrated apps, its just easier.

if wanting to keep microsoft i would suggest that you look at the HP Stream options https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/computers-tablets/laptops/laptops/hp-y8h67pa-stream-11-blue-notebook/prod149027.html

Gerard

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Julian Davison <jul...@davison.org.nz> wrote:
What level of school?

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Chris Nelson <taier...@gmail.com> wrote:
A school I am involved with is all Microsoft and are investigating purchasing ChromeBooks. Is there anyone here that knows of a Dunedin area school that users them well and wouldn't mind a couple of teachers coming along and seeing how they are used best for education and student learning?

Chris Nelson

Mar 14, 2017, 5:43:18 PM3/14/17
to Techies for schools
Years 1 to 8

Dave Young

Mar 15, 2017, 5:33:24 PM3/15/17
to Techies for schools
Try Fairfield School.  They use them up to Yr8.  Give the principal a ring.

Chris Nelson

Mar 15, 2017, 6:08:48 PM3/15/17
to Techies for schools
Thanks Dave.

Landyn Frisby

J B

Mar 30, 2017, 8:23:06 AM3/30/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Work with a vendor like Noel Leeming to get access to the Stream2/Pros which come with double the RAM and double the storage for comparable or less cost.  Better touchpad and Windows 10 Pro Education.

Also you can use the kivuto system to get free Windows 10 EDU for each student http://onthehub.com/search/k-12/ This means any device a student brings in that can support Windows 10 can have Windows 10.

Apparently you can also provide a custom base image.

We now join ours to the Office 365 InTune giving it limited manageability and a single signon experience through some apps with 365 credentials it also means a lost password is not a locked out device.

With WIMBoot support you can also recover 2-6GB of space from a Windows 10 system https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2015/09/16/windows-10-reducing-the-disk-footprint/

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sam McNeill

Mar 30, 2017, 6:04:30 PM3/30/17
to Techies for schools
An interesting platform I just found from NeverWare that basically creates a cloud based OS for O365 integration:

From the website:

CloudReady: Office 365 Education Edition is a browser-based OS that transforms your hardware into secure, easily manageable machines featuring out-of-the-box integrations with Microsoft OneDrive and online versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.

This could be an interesting way to recycle older machines and get "chrome like" speed/experience.on the O365 platform on older / cheaper machines. I am downloading the VM image now to give it a trial:

Cheers
Sam

Colin Hogg

Jun 8, 2017, 8:12:38 PM6/8/17
to Techies for schools
Hi Chris,

Try Robyn @ St Clair.

Also as Sam suggests the Neverware conversion of older hardware to Chromebooks also works well, I have come across quite a number of schools reusing older hardware saving money this way.

Cheers

Colin

Nick Steenson

Jun 8, 2017, 8:25:32 PM6/8/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I played around with CloudReady which worked nicely on our older netbooks, definitely breathed some life into what was useless!

In case it's important to you CloudReady can also be managed with chrome management console, but I have no experience with that, I've only got proper chromebooks enrolled there.

Nick

Edit: I've just realised it's the same thing. Whoops. My statement still stands.

Nick Steenson
ICT Technician
Mt Aspiring College
p:+643 443 0463 (Ext 830)
a:Plantation Rd, Wanaka 9305
e:stee...@mtaspiring.school.nz

Landyn Frisby

Jun 8, 2017, 8:27:14 PM6/8/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We use cloudready on old white macbooks. Works really well. Have them enterprise enrolled as well.
No issues whatsoever!