HP EliteBook Factory Image

Simon Wright

Mar 15, 2018, 6:21:29 PM3/15/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Howdy,

I've heard word that there are some schools out there that may have a copy of the original factory image for the HP EliteBooks.

Our 850 G1's are up for renewal and there are several that will be purchased for non-staff so i want them to have the factory image rather an our own.

Does anyone have a copy?

Thanks.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Matt Strickland

Mar 15, 2018, 6:49:37 PM3/15/18
to Techies for schools
I just download Windows 10 Home/Pro ISO Using the media creation tool. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
If its a model with Windows 8 or better (no Win7 COA) then you just skip the product key as it has a digital entitlement (I think for the home edition)

I pretty much just boot from USB, erase all partitions, let Windows install, when its ready to login the first time give back to new owner.

Or sometimes Ill go the extra step let them log in (or create a personal Microsoft account) and install only a few drivers - usually sound (while windows auto detects, I found sound over HDMI was an issue, maybe not now)

Matt

Matt Strickland

Mar 15, 2018, 6:51:41 PM3/15/18
to Techies for schools
Also I purchased my 850G1 and I think it had a Win 7 COA - just use that code when installing Windows 10 via the creation tool. Takes like 10 minutes to fully install. Done.

(Have it plugged into Ethernet helps too getting all the updates)

Simon Wright

Mar 15, 2018, 6:57:39 PM3/15/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Matt.

Mine don't appear to have a COA label, even under the battery.

I know you can install windows 10 without a key, but eventually it asks you to activate. Are you saying that it will activate without entering a key? Presumably because the hardware signature would match for the OEM license of an HP Elite Book?

Matt Strickland

Mar 15, 2018, 7:19:00 PM3/15/18
to Techies for schools
Yes two things could happen;

Either it won't ask for a product key at all (often if it can check online during installation)
Or it asks for a product key, but then you can skip and once installed it will check online for a previous digital licence that HP should have activated with that hardware (before TELA received them)
The above usually only applies to hardware with Windows 8 or higher stickers. (And if the motherboard or 'significant' hardware was not changed)

If it has a Windows 7 COA then its likely un-activated online so then you would need to enter the product key (which will generate a licence and tie that key to the hardware)

Matt

Simon Wright

Mar 15, 2018, 7:23:17 PM3/15/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Cheers, will give it a go and see what happens.

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Matt Strickland

Mar 15, 2018, 7:30:37 PM3/15/18
to Techies for schools
No worries,

I've been ok with the 840G2's that have no COA, they picked up a 'digital licence' - but I skipped the product key.
The only pain is you have to log in to check licence status (create a Microsoft Account or create a local account)

Not sure if you can powershell slmgr? before a local admin account is created.

Lots of ours get sold to non-staff.

Matt

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Patrick Dunford

Mar 15, 2018, 8:37:55 PM3/15/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Pretty sure yuou can get HP to ship some DVDs to you

Julian Davison

Mar 15, 2018, 8:53:11 PM3/15/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
YMMV on getting original disks, including on how much they cost.
If you're super lucky your local HP warranty repair agent will help out, though that can also be a bit variable (they don't always have the disks either!)

Simon Wright

Mar 15, 2018, 9:49:06 PM3/15/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Jacqui at Tela is seeing what she can find. It was her that said there were some schools that had been given the factory image in the past. Now that cyclone have taken over, it sounds like they are starting from scratch with their own resources.

Julian: I know where your coming from, in my past work i was an HP Tech when the company i used to work for had the local contract with VG for warranty work, we did laptops, desktop, and servers. I believe you did the same for was it Decision 1 or Pro South? I'm pretty sure it was you who did a few warranty jobs here at OB's a few years back.
So we had built a large library of recovery disks, but of course thats all gone now. I used to ask a friend i used to work with, Nathan, who went to Decision 1 for recovery disks, but even he has moved on now.

On 16/03/18 11:20, Simon Wright wrote:
[...]

Julian Davison

Mar 15, 2018, 9:55:38 PM3/15/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
If we're being honest, I've worked for both Decision 1 and ProSouth, and done HP repairs as an employee of each as well :)
In theory the recovery disks went with the repair contract, but I'm well out of touch with who does that these days. Otago University seem to be fairly solidly Dell.

Back in the day, at least with Toshiba and TELA, they supplied the resuce disks with the laptops. I was always sad to see that practice end (made them so much easier to hand on to staff as personal computers, or sell elsewhere).
Must just about be time for these people to offer rescue images online...

Simon Wright

Mar 15, 2018, 10:27:29 PM3/15/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, being that even for a while now, most computers don't come with recovery disk, only recovery partitions, but when your hard drive dies, then you're screwed, unless you created a recovery disc or usb either via Windows recovery or a tool pre-installed by the manufacturer.

I think Windows 10 is making this side of things a little easier, though i wish Microsoft would just make ONE version of windows, thats one on the small list of things Apple does right.
Pretty much every oem pc manufacturer sells a computer with a windows licence, so should be a no brainer that if you need to you can download windows and just reinstall it.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

Kevin Whelan

Mar 15, 2018, 11:26:18 PM3/15/18
to Techies for schools
Apple does a lot right
a recovery boot that downloads the software again directly from their servers works perfectly and a boot to target disk mode is so handy its ridiculous
why oh why doesn't windows have winpe on a chip

Julian Davison

Mar 15, 2018, 11:28:13 PM3/15/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Isn't winpe on a flashdrive enough for you? ;)

Kevin Whelan

Mar 15, 2018, 11:29:26 PM3/15/18
to Techies for schools
oh and make the dvd and winpe both x86 and 64 and be able to see drives offline. It gets so frustrating just trying to recover some hosed systems, apples are so so easy

Kevin Whelan

Mar 15, 2018, 11:34:28 PM3/15/18
to Techies for schools
winpe can be frustrating, has to be the right version, will only reinstall if versions are exact and original drive isn't too confused, you almost have to have a working windows to do a reinstall which can take a lot of knowhow to acheive. wrong winpe and you won't get system restore etc, its just a minefield sometimes of rebuilding bcd and things first,

Patrick Dunford

Mar 16, 2018, 12:41:54 AM3/16/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Because MS doesn't own the hardware

Patrick Dunford

Mar 16, 2018, 12:51:03 AM3/16/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

What makes Linux so easy to reinstall is that the home drive can be officially supported on a different partition. And it recognises it straight off as long as the path is the same.

Reinstalling Linux is so easy, I have done it so many times, just point the home drive at the original path and it picks up all the settings, you do have to reinstall applications but you don't have to re-enter all the settings, like mail accounts in Thunderbird

MS hasn't even got their head around this, even though there is a path stored in the registry you can change, Windows has a tanty and refuses to upgrade if you've changed it. We used to use this path in our Windows images because it saved so much time reinstalling not to have to back up the user's data first.

I think us mere mortals have to get our heads around the fact that MS is going the Apple way and getting out of supporting the commercial market (anyone who needs a server) but like Apple they still try to have a foot in both camps and whitewash the fact that their corporate or professional users play second fiddle to consumers.

Patrick Dunford

Mar 16, 2018, 4:19:16 AM3/16/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Normal updates on Windows will usually install OK, but service packs are the ones that cause you grief. Of course, we would just update the image and then roll out the image when a SP came out to get around this problem.

On 16/03/18 21:00, Ray Nickson wrote:
Reinstalling Linux is so easy, I have done it so many times, just point the home drive at the original path and it picks up all the settings, you do have to reinstall applications

I usually put /usr/local on its own partition too, and install most applications in there.

I'm relieved that i'm not the only one who has tried and failed to separate out users' profiles in MS windows. It seems like such an obvious thing to want to do, especially since so many new windows computers come with the HDD already partitioned -- i suspect most buyers don't realise that half their drive is allocated to a D partition that they never get to  use.

Ray

Jeffrey B

Mar 16, 2018, 4:53:21 AM3/16/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Latest surfaces have a recover from internet option in the efi.

Sam McNeill

Mar 16, 2018, 7:44:28 PM3/16/18
to Techies for schools
Jeffrey is right - where MS owns the hardware we have cloud recovery with Surface ... have a look at:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/recover-from-cloud-reinstall-windows-10-surface-book-surface-pro-4/

I used this last week in Singapore... we had a Surface studio to configure for E2 and 60x Surface Pro and very little time. The Studio was given to us with no admin password etc etc, and we did a recover from cloud and t worked perfectly. We then created a demo O365 tenant and deployed apps via Intune for Education to 60x SP4 and it worked out perfectly. I blogged about it here if you’re interested in details:

https://samuelmcneill.com/2018/03/11/when-life-gives-you-lemons-eat-dog-food/

Kevin Whelan

Mar 18, 2018, 4:40:37 PM3/18/18
to Techies for schools
wow that sounds like a really complicated way of achieving your result but you achieved your desired result and only used your brands software so proves it can be done. I'd argue most of us don't have spare domains etc floating around and I reckon I could have built one and imaged it with any of a dozen 3rd party tools as quickly but it wouldn't have made a very interesting blog

As a serious question couldn't a windows to go image have been made after setting up one dummy surface then just booting off the WTG usbs entirely and leaving the surfaces in their original state
Isn't that the point of Windows to go

Sam McNeill

Mar 18, 2018, 5:12:26 PM3/18/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hey Kevin

In an ideal world a school already has their own tenant set up and could add new devices via AAD and be done with it. In fact, using this method was deliberate as we are trying to push internally to manage all demo devices using Intune moving forward without needing a demo tenant.

With Windows 2 Go we didn’t have 60x USB lying around and at a conference with thousands attending they would no doubt have disappeared over the week. Also performance of the required apps like Minecraft:EE and 3D Modeling in PowerPoint would have been pretty poor off a USB drive.

Cheers

Sent from my mobile phone

Simon Wright

Mar 21, 2018, 7:47:49 PM3/21/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
So finally got around to testing one of the laptops (EliteBook 850 G1) installing Windows 10 straight off USB and it self activated with a digital licence for Windows 10 Home Edition.

Great Success!

I also now have ISO files of the original recovery media. Thank you Jacqui.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

Nick Steenson

Mar 21, 2018, 7:49:03 PM3/21/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Good to know!

Nick

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Nick Steenson
IT Manager
Mt Aspiring College
p:+643 443 0463 (Ext 830)