Ruckus Upgrade troubles

Blake Richardson

Jul 18, 2016, 12:50:33 AM7/18/16
to Techies for schools
Hi,

We have recently purchased a bunch of R600 and R710 access points. The idea was simply unplug the old unit and plug in the new units, unfortunately it doesn't seem this easy with the R600 model, for some reason this model don;t want to pickup and IP address or talk to the ZoneDirector but if an R710 is plugged into the same cable all is well.

Has anyone else come across this issue, I now have 4 days left to get these working as they have all been installed in place today and I am now sitting here with no wireless. It seems to be related to the R600 any other model of Ruckus AP works fine when using the same cable so its not a network issue.

Any help would be much appreciated otherwise I might be booking a one way ticket out of the country!

Craig Knights

Jul 18, 2016, 1:02:37 AM7/18/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

I find the r600 does seem to take longer than our old ones to find the controller.  Been a while since we put our first r600s in. I seem to remember dns or dhcp settings on our domain controller to help them.. I'll see what I can see from home..

Craig.

Arnold Santos

Jul 18, 2016, 1:10:39 AM7/18/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Blake,

Are you able to login to your ZD controller and see the status of those R600's and R720? Normally they need to pull the configuration from the ZD controller and update their firmware, also suggested to be on the same network with ZD, it will take a while to update then it will reboot itself to have the same firmware with your ZD. Also, check your license for no. of AP count support. Hope that helps.

Regards,
Arnold
--
Arnold B. Santos
ICT Systems Administrator

________________________
Apple Certified Support Professional 10.11
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.8

This email may contain confidential information intended for the recipient. If you receive this email in error please contact me.

Craig Knights

Jul 18, 2016, 1:14:17 AM7/18/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I remember setting both of these on our DNS and DHCP.

tried those?

Usually by the time I walk back to my office the R600 is up and running...  but as I said, they are slower to pick up the ZD.

good luck!
Craig

Andrew Godfrey

Jul 18, 2016, 4:51:52 PM7/18/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
What are the status lights showing Blake?

Are you able to mirror the port on the switch and watch the traffic with wireshark when the unit is plugged in?

_______________________________________

Andrew Godfrey  |  Network Manager

Andrew Godfrey

Jul 18, 2016, 4:58:53 PM7/18/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Have you checked the Model Specific Control settings of the Access Point Group? Not sure if those settings apply prior to ZD approval though.

We've got 57 of the r600 model and they are all running fine on 9.9 initially and 9.12 now.

_______________________________________

Andrew Godfrey  |  Network Manager

Keith Craig

Jul 18, 2016, 5:22:02 PM7/18/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Blake,

Probably an obvious question – have the units been registered with the ZD already? What is the IP setting from the ZD for the new units? I always pre-register new units from my office but then have problems sometimes when I move them to another campus & the units are set to keep IP setting rather than DHCP – the units do not request a new IP address and so cannot find the ZD.

Regards

Keith

Keith Craig BCom PGDipBus(IS) CNE
Systems Administrator

Blake Richardson

Jul 18, 2016, 5:47:50 PM7/18/16
to Techies for schools
Thanks for everyones answers and ideas.

I've come to the conclusion the AP's are faulty, below is part of the email I've just sent to the supplier.

Test 1

Plug and play ( Straight out of the box)

Current 7962’s plugged in with 9.8 firmware - OK

New R710 with 9.12 firmware - OK

New R600 with 9.12 - Doesn’t connect to ZD or get DHCP

Test 2

Manually configured static IP and DNS on AP.

R710 connects to ZD, clients able to connect and pass traffic.

R600 connects to ZD, clients able to connect but client unable to obtain IP address or pass traffic

These tests have been done with the AP, ZD and DHCP server all on the same subnet and VLAN with no firewalls between any of the items to make it as black and white as possible. I’ve also confirmed that the port settings for the different models of AP are the same so that there isn’t anything weird going on with the ports on the AP’s. The tests have also been undertaken using the same cable and switch port.

As suggested a manual firmware upgrade of the AP’s firmware before connecting to the ZD didn’t work either.

I think I just got a bad batch of AP's which is a shame as most have already been installed so swapping them back to the old units before term starts again is going to be fun, wit the replacements I will just set them all up first.

Terence Fleming

Jul 20, 2016, 7:24:29 PM7/20/16
to Techies for schools
Hi Blake

I would be very surprised if you actually have a batch of faulty APs: we have had literally thousands of R600s through here in the last year and hardly any failures out of the box.

Generally an AP failure is complete - in other words, the software doesn't respond at all.  Very occasionally we have had to re-flash the firmware to revive an AP.

So given that this is an issue you are seeing across multiple devices I would suspect either a firmware issue, a configuration issue, or a network issue.

Check that the Controller you are using is correctly licenced and running the appropriate firmware for the APs

Perform a Hard Reset on the APs

Interrogate the APs through the CLI to see what firmware they are on and whether they are looking for a Zone Director or a SmartZone controller

Run your testing on an isolated network to eliminate any other network factors (firewalls, DHCP server configuration issues) from the mix