NZQA examinations - SAC computer use

Matthew Strickland

Aug 11, 2015, 4:12:04 AM8/11/15
to Techies for schools
Hi all,

Do any technicians here look after your principals nominee in terms of computer use for NZQA examinations? (Special Assessment Conditions)
How far do you to ensure the sterility of a students personal laptop used for daily classroom work, to be used in external examinations?

ie locking down administrative accounts, creating a standard user, probably also ensuring no files are accessible or even in existence.

Some users could be savvy; hidden partitions, dual boot OS, recoverable files, shadow copies, restore points etc

To cover all bases I prefer to supply a machine, but in some cases this isn't possible.

Any advice or am I OTT?

Matthew Strickland
Karamu High School

Keith Craig

Aug 11, 2015, 4:19:50 AM8/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Students use a school supplied computer. Has a restricted login account and locked down network. We don't have a 1:1 program and few students have their own laptops.

Keith Craig
Systems Administrator
Dilworth School
Sent from my iPhone

Tim Harper

Aug 11, 2015, 4:29:10 AM8/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew,

your principal's nominee should be able to define the conditions to you that the computer has to meet.

But start here:

This form contains the details (the link to the NZQA doc from the page above is broken but NZQA do have a PDF if you search for it!)

http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/assets/qualifications-and-standards/qualifications/ncea/SAC/sac-computer-pn.pdf - page 2 has all the gory details relating to the conditions.  I have also attached the PDF.

For what it's worth this is all about to undergo huge change and you can start here to read all about it:

regards,

Tim Harper

Phone 0800 755 966 option 2 then 3 (SchoolZone)
Phone 03 443 5167 (DDI)
Mobile 027 443 1236
Fax 03 443 0491

t...@mtaspiring.school.nz
www.mtaspiring.school.nz

--
sac-computer-pn.pdf

Alistair Baird

Aug 11, 2015, 4:47:33 AM8/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We supply a school laptop for exam use, locked down, no network, wireless blocked and disabled. The student(s) is(are) also supervised.
--
Alistair Baird
IT Manager

Matthew Strickland

Aug 11, 2015, 5:05:27 AM8/11/15
to Techies for schools
I already have seen all the paperwork but its pretty limited, ie it doesn't define what software offline can be used (advanced calculators - for example one that could balance chemical equations)

Since NZQA allow a personal device, I guess we can only check beyond all reasonable doubt that the device is sterile.

At least digital assessments holds the ultimate solution here.

Matt

Karen Gilligan

Aug 11, 2015, 7:44:20 PM8/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I think that it would also depend on what the student needs. It would not be possible in all cases of special assessment conditions to provide a ‘clean’ device. Does the student have someone in the exam with them to monitor their use?

With thanks

Karen Gilligan
E-Learning Facilitator
BLENNZ
(021) 020-60334

Matthew Strickland

Aug 12, 2015, 2:18:34 AM8/12/15
to Techies for schools
Its a 'delicate' situation; so for example a student is used to a certain keyboard layout, particularly the configuration and size of backspace/enter/shift keys etc.
Then there is the transfer of auto-correct / replace between applications.

For internal exams/benchmark a teacher would be present, but under NCEA usually someone that knows's nothing about technology.

So to keep the hardware consistent, either locking down/removing of files, replacing drives or booting externally are the left over options.

Matt
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to techies-for-schools+unsub...@googlegroups.com.