RE: [techies-for-schools] School owned laptop/portable/wireless computers?

34 просмотра

J B

не прочитано,
23 февр. 2015 г., 04:42:5323.02.2015
– techies-f...@googlegroups.com
The difference between byod and school provisioned for us is generally storage space, we have a bunch of the Acer switch atom units with 64 GB, as they are x86 they happily run full W8, can be domain joined and work with mapped drives, printer etc transparently.  32gb is just a bit too small once profiles and such are taken into account even self wiping mandatory ones.

Sent from my Windows Phone

From: Matthew Strickland
Sent: ‎23/‎02/‎2015 9:58 p.m.
To: techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [techies-for-schools] School owned laptop/portable/wireless computers?

Hi all,

Is your school still purchasing laptops/netbooks (or other wireless devices) for students to use? If so which are you opting for?

We are still predominantly a Windows school (mostly windows clients and servers), as well as Mac's + Adobe software for both.
This is all fairly 'classic' for the fixed hardware + software.

But we do get stuck with purchasing school wireless devices for students, because ideally they need to be networked to be used by more than one student.
Since we're not a Google App school this rules out multi-user for Chromebooks, and Surface RT is somewhat limited in a domain environment.

So we end up with Netbooks (with extra RAM + SSD are ok) or more expensive traditional laptops.
It seem's were stuck between what's best for BYOD, and what works in a multi-user single device environment.

I have some idea's going forward but keen to see if others still purchase wireless hardware for students, or leave it up to BYOD?

Matthew Strickland
Karamu High School

J B

не прочитано,
23 февр. 2015 г., 22:52:2023.02.2015
– techies-f...@googlegroups.com
That sounds rather one sided, Office 365 providers plenty through SharePoint, exchange, Lync and onedrive, you can even get teacher dashboard free for smaller schools now to have it replicate teacher dashboard on gaps.  Both are decent solutions.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Does that mean you are using Office 365 instead of Google Apps?

People need to look more closely at the solutions, because Microsoft’s effort with Office 365 is pretty limited (like Apple iCloud is), and GAFE has a lot more capability.

Although personally, I don’t like any of them.

Sent: Monday, February 23, 2015 9:58 PM

[...]

Patrick Dunford

не прочитано,
24 февр. 2015 г., 03:18:4124.02.2015
– techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I’ve supported both so I know the ins and outs of them, including one school that switched from 365 to Google. 365 was very late to appear compared to Google Apps and the engagement of MS with the compulsory education sector in NZ has been much more limited. Google innovates because they don’t have a vested interest in PC desktop operating systems and server OSs to protect and they are way out in front with Android compared to Windows Phone.

--

J B

не прочитано,
24 февр. 2015 г., 03:41:5524.02.2015
– techies-f...@googlegroups.com
When did this get into phones?  They are both decent systems (365 & gaps) and both have pros and cons. Anyway this has gone completely off topic from BYOD/school owned devices.

Sent from my Windows Phone