Electronic Rolls and Evacuations

Kris Bainbridge

Feb 12, 2015, 10:26:52 PM2/12/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

This is probably more of a policy question than technical, but after having a real honest this-is-not-a-drill evacuation today for a fire in our hall (undergoing building work), it's got us wondering how we're supposed to check off our online class roll when all the computers are inside buildings we can't go into until the fire service gives us the all clear.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a common practice?

Kris Bainbridge
ICT Administration
matipo.school.nz

Gerard MacManus

Feb 12, 2015, 11:14:40 PM2/12/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
There is an emergency button where you can print off rolls in KAMAR.
But in the past we have had rolls that are printed off once a month and in the emergency evac kits along with the megaphone, high vis jackets and air horn

Tim Kong

Feb 12, 2015, 11:36:44 PM2/12/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Assembly has an iOS and Android app that allows you to do rolls. I used to use it to do the afternoon roll when classes were off-site at swimming.

Not sure what other SMS vendors have.

But as Gerard says, paper versions of register in class based emergency packs are a useful way. For our evac plans they were meant to be updated by teacher each term.

Tim Harper

Feb 13, 2015, 2:45:47 AM2/13/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Just like Gerard:  fluro vests, paper rolls (students and staff) complete with sign-in/out books for students, staff and visitors,  megaphone and kids sitting in rows on the field.  Sun, rain, wind, snow, hail or frost.

Some schools are using this:  http://vistab.co.nz/ - interesting as all data lives on a portable tablet that synchs back to servers at Vistab.  Apparently it is becoming link-able with various SMS systems.  Developed in Chch.

regards,

Tim Harper

Phone 0800 755 966 option 2 then 3 (SchoolZone)
Phone 03 443 5167 (DDI)
Mobile 027 443 1236
Fax 03 443 0491

t...@mtaspiring.school.nz
www.mtaspiring.school.nz

Gerard MacManus

Feb 13, 2015, 2:55:12 AM2/13/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
as happened with the chch quakes, you can't rely on power or cellphone towers..

The network gets so overloaded that TXT messages can take up to 2 days to get through. Students were waiting from 12:51 when the quake hit through to 8pm at night for a parent/caregiver to come and get them. Student Management System were taken out in buildings and power loss, which means even if you have a app, you won't get getting the data as the server it is siting on won't be able to be accessed. Even 3g data was not working during quakes as the priority for telecommunications providers is the 111 support. Think of you school phone system, most likely it is a PABX, which requires power. Even a UPS will only run for a length of time.

I would say the same thing around a fire within a building, power will probably be cut as the wires melt and pop the fuses in the school.

I think this is a good conversation to have, as the reality is, things can happen really quick and without warning.