Plagiarism checking services

Landyn Frisby

Mar 23, 2017, 9:02:06 PM3/23/17
to Techies for schools
Hi everyone!

I have been tasked with looking into different plagiarism solutions and am wondering what other schools in NZ are doing. I have had a quote from turnitin(now Feedback Studio) and they do not have a simple system and only do integrations with certain LMS like blackboard and not with what we use Google Classroom. They also charge per student and students submit the work for checking not the teacher.

So, what else is out there and what are other schools using? - open to anything

Keith Craig

Mar 23, 2017, 9:20:04 PM3/23/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We use turnitin with teachers submitting the work. We pay a license per student. It is not used all the time - normally if the teacher is suspicious but also the occasional spot check. When it is used students cannot claim teacher is misreading or misinterpreting the work.
Then there is the awkward interview with the individual students. When students are presented with the report the truth normally comes out quite quickly.

Keith Craig
Systems Administrator
Dilworth School
Sent from my iPhone

Landyn Frisby

Apr 2, 2019, 11:58:35 PM4/2/19
to Techies for schools
Just bumping this post to see if there is anything new out there? We have been using turnitin for the last 2 years and do find the Administration to be a nightmare (they only let teachers create student accounts not admins, they charge per student and provide no way to remove student accounts apart from contacting help and providing a list) I will provide a review for anyone that is interested.

Dan Marsden

May 5, 2019, 7:48:42 PM5/5/19
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Landyn,

I just spotted this in the backlog now...

Turnitin has the largest amount of english user-submitted content over all other plagiarism services, so is typically considered the "best" option in english language markets - there are cheaper alternatives such as Urkund, Plagscan, Unicheck (and several others) - I have had a bit to do with Urkund and client feedback has been that Urkund has provided really good support. They still index all the normal public english language sources (wikipedia etc) - but they just don't have the same amount of english language student submitted content compared with Turnitin.

Most of these services work best when you are able to integrate them with another internal system for managing single sign-on etc  - Turnitin has pretty good LTI support which allows integration with a lot of different systems. I understand Google's "Course kit" provides some level of LTI integration but I haven't checked to see how flexible that is myself.

Feel free to drop me an e-mail privately if you have any specific questions.

thanks,

Dan

Sam McNeill

May 6, 2019, 4:30:17 PM5/6/19
to Techies for schools
I agree with Dan in terms of having any plagiarism solution integrated with your LMS or digital dropbox for assignments.
Afterall, this is what students will experience when they enter H.Ed in terms of assignment submission.

I've integrated TurnItIn into Moodle previously and it was pretty seamless - in fact I know of a number of schools that have since "moved on" from Moodle as their primary LMS but have essentially kept this live purely to streamline the assignment submission for students with the integrated plagiarism checking of TurnItIn for teachers.

Teams now supports TurnItIn integration (announced at BETT London) and going live very soon if this might be suitable in your environment:

Most other major LMS like Canvas, SchoolBox, BlackBoard etc all support it too.

Cheers
Sam
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to techies-for-schools+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Jake Wills

May 6, 2019, 8:23:47 PM5/6/19
to Techies for schools
We use plagscan (https://www.plagscan.com/en/)... it's not perfect, but is a lot cheaper for us than turnitin.
Works reasonably well for us, but definitely isn't 100% smooth.
We do it by teachers creating the assignment, and then students submitting their work.

If anyone is interested these are the instructions we made for our staff...