TELA Repairs

Michael Keightley

Nov 19, 2015, 7:34:40 PM11/19/15
to Techies for schools
Has anyone had laptops go off for repairs for example; broken screen, faulty HDD etc and it comes back with a long list of "extra" repairs completed?
In the past I have sent a laptop away for a replacement HDD and it came back with a new screen bezel, new complete bottom case fitted and the HDD replaced. The 2nd time a laptop went away for a screen that was damaged by a pen while being closed and it had a new keyboard fitted and some other internal bits. The keyboard was fine as the teachers used it for over 6 months before getting it repaired.
I queried the extra repairs with TELA and they said their testing process must have shown up more issues than the fault it was sent it for, really? a bottom cover tested faulty?
I know I dont pay for the repairs but the cost must go somewhere....

Alistair Baird

Nov 19, 2015, 9:15:53 PM11/19/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We use predominantly HP laptops that are serviced on-site - the tech comes in with all the spares needed to complete the repair. I have had to send away Apple Macbooks, and both came back with just the things repaired - one was a damaged screen (and use had to pay as it was a pen or something similar closed on it) and the other a keyboard spill (wine). Also sent away our only Toshiba at the time, and it came back with just the HDD replaced (but my user wasn't that rough with it, so it was in pretty good nic).

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 990 259

Atholl Wilkinson

Nov 20, 2015, 1:42:06 AM11/20/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Just sent a HP laptop with 2x missing key tops in for repair. Got an email today saying they have checked and tested and found the hard drive faulty and the top cover faulty, and they replaced the keyboard. Keyboard was expected. The hard drive was replaced 20-03-2014. So top cover and hard drive replacement not expected. They also claim that they quoted. But I did not receive any quotes. This is the first time it has happened to me.
Atholl
Selwyn College

Patrick Dunford

Nov 20, 2015, 2:19:11 AM11/20/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
You can do your own repairs for the HPs if you wish, they will supply the parts with courier tickets. Very reliable - it's many months since we had any repairs done except at end of lease (which is an indemnity repair, and has to be sent to the service centre).

Michael Keightley

Stephen Moran

Nov 23, 2015, 11:56:51 PM11/23/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Where the keys missing the rubber membrane? In a lot of modern design machines that requires a full top case replacement. Key caps can be replaced individually but that membrane can't be.