Loan Laptops for Students?

Blake Richardson

Nov 20, 2017, 2:40:20 PM11/20/17
to Techies for schools
Hi, just wondering what everyone else does with BYOD devices and loan computers. For us its a requirement for Years 9 - 13 to have an Apple laptop, in the event of laptop issues we have 8 Apple MacBook Air's that are for loaning to students.

What does everyone else do?

Kevin Whelan

Nov 20, 2017, 3:18:57 PM11/20/17
to Techies for schools
yeah we hold a collection of ex tela hp ones for the same reason, pretty good buying at $300 ish

Alistair Baird

Nov 20, 2017, 4:04:47 PM11/20/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We have a range of devices - we do have old Tela devices, and if these go home, the students and parent's have to rent them for $1 (then it becomes a binding contract), but if it's just in class, we have some suface RT tablets, some Android tablets and some chromebooks which are handed back to the teacher at the end of the lessons. Every now and again I reformat/reset them.

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 482 937

Andrew Godfrey

Nov 20, 2017, 5:18:14 PM11/20/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
BYOD is not a requirement for our students but the parents know that their child will be disadvantaged if they do not have a device.

We have old laptops running Ubuntu and Chrome that can be borrowed for a period(s) of the day and returned. Some can be issued for take home on request of the dean and can either be no charge or nominal amount depending on family situation.

Teachers can book a set(s) of chromebooks for the period if they know that some students don't have a device or if it's a senior class where the students came to school before a BYOD expectation was introduced at the junior level.

Andrew Godfrey  |  Network Manager

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 8:40:20 AM UTC+13, Blake Richardson wrote:
Hi, just wondering what everyone else does with BYOD devices and loan computers. For us its a requirement for Years 9 - 13 to have an Apple laptop, in the event of laptop issues we have 8 Apple MacBook Air's that are for loaning to students.

What does everyone else do?

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 482 937

gre...@staff.cbhs.school.nz

Nov 20, 2017, 6:10:12 PM11/20/17
to Techies for schools
We have low-end laptops (HP stream) for daily loan; they don't go home with the student. Students collect+return from ICT (not via teachers etc).
Ratio is 1 loan per 25 students.

We've thought about per-period loan, but (a) couldn't think of a way to make that work smoothly, and (b) if a student needs a loan device 1st period then they're probably going to need one subsequent periods too.

For configuration, go for the approach that gets the desired software on the device and results in the minimum turnaround effort between students. In our case that was domain-joined Windows machines - i.e. the same toolchain already used for desktop PCs. Other schools may have MDM in place for deploying software, wiping changes between users etc.

- Ben.

Sue Way

Nov 20, 2017, 6:39:23 PM11/20/17
to Techies for schools
HI Blake,

We have old Chromebooks we lend to students for the day. We issue them like a book but they only have a 1 day loan so they get returned at the end of the day before the student goes home.

Great for Students whose families cannot afford devices or students who have broken them and are waiting to get a new one.

Each device has a barcode and we use the Library system to issue them so we can keep track of them. Works well.

Sue Way

Andrew Godfrey

Nov 20, 2017, 7:35:51 PM11/20/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
For teachers who have a student in their class needing a loan device, they fill out a google form which automatically populates a spreadsheet and emails the Computer Support Staff and the dean of the student.

The Computer Support Staff then know who is coming to collect a device and why and the dean can also identify "frequent flyers" and have a discussion around taking responsibility as well as providing further assistance if required.

The spreadsheet can also be analysed at budget time and provide evidence as to why more loaner devices are or are not needed. We have had to turn some students away during busy times as all devices have been issued but those times are very few and far between.

Andrew Godfrey  |  Network Manager

Blake Richardson

Nov 21, 2017, 3:18:25 PM11/21/17
to Techies for schools
Thanks everyone for your responses. We currently only loan a device IF the students laptop has been sent or we are sending it in for repair on their behalf. We also contact the parents to confirm they are happy to be responsible if the student loses or breaks the laptop.

The reason we say no repair = no laptop is we had a couple of instances with students who had older laptops that broke and they decided they would just use our loan laptop instead of repairing or replacing it.

Charging a $1 per loan sounds interesting and something I might discuss further up the chain.

Thanks again