SafeSearch / YouTube Safety on N4L

kahuk...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2015, 7:26:14 PM4/13/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Can someone enlighten me as to how YouTube Safety mode works. Is it mandated that you can’t have YouTube Safety without SafeSearch and vice versa.

I’m working with a complaint that YouTube safety mode is much too limiting. I don’t really know where to start, it is a teacher making instructional videos for students, there is nothing rude about them but they say the safety mode makes it impossible for students to view these videos.

I know YouTube has an educational portal but Google made it really hard to set up.

Tim Harper

Apr 13, 2015, 7:39:59 PM4/13/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
YT-S and the education portal are different things - the education filter is not too hard to set up.  Once registered you need to add in the custom header that they give you.  In N4L it looks like this:

Inline images 1

YT-S can be over-ridden by individual users.  When you are logged in as a Google user to YT use your account settings at the top right and go to "YouTube settings"

Inline images 2

At the bottom of the setting screen you can permanently disable safety mode for the user:

Inline images 3
As far as I know individual users have to make the change for themselves.

regards,

Tim Harper

Phone 0800 755 966 option 2 then 3 (SchoolZone)
Phone 03 443 5167 (DDI)
Mobile 027 443 1236
Fax 03 443 0491

t...@mtaspiring.school.nz
www.mtaspiring.school.nz

trevor storr

Apr 20, 2015, 5:14:11 AM4/20/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
If are using GAFE, safety mode is controllable from the admin panel.

Device management > chrome management > user settings > content section

there are options to use safesearch without enforcing safety mode in youtube.

Content
Safe Search
Locally applied

Google and YouTube Safe Search