Tela HP

Sean Feltoe

Mar 11, 2015, 9:48:18 PM3/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We have just recieved 20 of the TELA HP Elitebook 850 . We are having major
issues when connected to our projectors via vga, such as stalling on
startup. Laptop freezing when logged on. The only cure so far is to unplug
the projector cable, start the laptop and logon, and then reconnect the
cable. Sizing on the laptop is also difficult. Anyone alse having these
issues

Jason Scott

Mar 11, 2015, 9:55:41 PM3/11/15
to techies-for-schools
Hi

Yes we have 35 of these laptops. All have the same problem as above, plus they all seem to blue screen after hibernation and sleep operations. I have updated both the Intel and amd video adapters with the manufacturers drivers and this seems to have solved some problems but not all. I have also queried Tela about any known problem with these laptops and they say they have had no problems reported.

Jason
Gisborne Boys High School

Jason Scott
IT Manager
021 367 663
MCSA

Andrew Godfrey

Mar 11, 2015, 9:58:51 PM3/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
The Toshiba z40 laptops have had issues with low quality VGA cables. Have you checked those?

_______________________________________

Andrew Godfrey  |  Network Manager  |  Burnside High School  |  Christchurch | New Zealand

Andrew Godfrey

Mar 11, 2015, 10:14:13 PM3/11/15

On 12 March 2015 at 14:54, Jason Scott <jasea...@gmail.com> wrote:
they say they have had no problems reported

That sounds like a standard line but it may in fact be true if Jason was the first complainant. It is really important that TELA laptop problems are reported to both TELA and a contact in the company that produces the product (if you can) so issues can be sorted.

Discussing it in this forum is good as well because now Sean can ring TELA and report a fault and if they try to say "they have had no problems reported" you can refer them to an earlier complaint.

Patrick Dunford

Mar 11, 2015, 11:55:47 PM3/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Probably not that many schools have forked out for the upgrade (we only have the principal’s one and it took a lot of work to solve the crashes, but everyone else is using the 840G1 which doesn’t have the problems)

--
Patrick Dunford
System Administrator

Patrick Dunford

Mar 11, 2015, 11:58:05 PM3/11/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Our experience with the 850G1 was it would still bluescreen on a vanilla Windows 7 install with the drivers off HP’s website. This makes it more likely to be a problem with HP’s drivers
Probably the Intel drivers, as they are usually crap (I never rely on Intel onboard graphics on my desktops and always put graphics cards in them)

--
Patrick Dunford
System Administrator

Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2015 3:13 PM
Subject: Re: [techies-for-schools] Tela HP

Simon Farrell

Mar 13, 2015, 12:17:34 AM3/13/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We have heard from a few schools about issues with the 850. Common problems reported are the resume from sleep/suspend not working (crashes, requires restart), and issues with the USB ports not working. The VGA issue takes me back to the 85x0p days, and may be related to the display auto-detect in Windows (which the 85x0p laptops had issues with).

On the USB and resume front, we have done some extensive testing both with the standard TELA image and the Windows 8 factory image, but so far haven't been able to reproduce the faults. One of HP's pre-sales engineers has also done testing with the same result (i.e. no faults). We did manage to get the USB ports to fault once after installing the Windows 8 image, but this turned out to be the USB 3 driver not having installed properly, which showed up clearly in Device Manager. Issues resuming from suspend could be any number of things - graphics drivers, power settings, BIOS... I've heard tell that the order in which you install drivers on units with discrete graphics can sometimes cause problems, but I can't remember if it's Intel -> NV/AMD or if it's NV/AMD -> Intel. Haven't had time to test this  :(

We also saw an issue a little while back with the Toshibas, when Microsoft pushed out a driver update for the Intel NIC that broke the NIC waking up from sleep and reconnecting to the network. Updating the NIC driver from the Toshiba website fixed that one. I would suspect the HPs and Toshibas use the same Intel NIC (I218-LM), so this may affect the HPs as well.

I'd be really keen to hear if you guys are using the TELA image, whether you're using a modified version, or Windows 8/8.1. Sean, I'd also be keen to hear whether the display auto-detect registry fix solves your VGA/projector issues. If not it may well be your cables.

I'm pretty confident there are no issues with the HP hardware, and that the issues we have heard about are probably related to drivers in some way. If there are hardware issues with the laptop models on the scheme, we usually find out pretty darn quickly.

As usual, feel free to email me direct: simon dot farrell at spark dot co dot nz.

Bevan McNaughton

Mar 13, 2015, 12:19:10 AM3/13/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone had the same issues running the laptops with x64 Windows & associated drivers?

Bevan McNaughton
Intranet Manager

Southland Girls' High School
328 Tweed Street
Invercargill 9812

J B

Mar 13, 2015, 12:32:28 AM3/13/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Have had the resume issues, been meaning to check for new bios updates it  causes issues with 64 bit Windows 8 as it crashes on resume sometimes and needs a hard reset.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Mar 15, 2015, 7:13:42 PM3/15/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We have 23 of the 850 G1's and will be ordering 30 or so more by the end of the term.

I've haven't come across any USB issues. I deploy an install on them from WDS/MDT which has Windows 7 64bit Ent and varying drivers mostly from HP and some more updated ones direct from manufacturers.
The only real issues ive come across is the LAN, chip I218-LM, you need a very specific version in order for the LAN to work properly, especially when resuming from standby/hibernation. I gave up on LAN/WLAN switching as it would cause very slow logins.

Most of my drivers are from the latest HP driver pack. A number of these drivers are older than ones available separately on HPs or the manufacturers websites, however ive been through so many iterations of testing, that ive found the older ones to give me the least/no problems.

Ive attached a csv export of my drivers from MDT for reference.
HP 850G1 driver list.csv