School policies around staff loss/damage of ICT Property

Sam McNeill

May 30, 2016, 5:54:49 PM5/30/16
to Techies for schools
Morning all,

I'm reviewing the incidents of damage/loss/theft of school ICT property over the last three years as I consider changes to policies around how to mitigate this in future.

Two things stick out to me:

  • recidivists who have semi-regular loss/damage of relatively low value items  e.g. bluetooth mice, Surface Pro stylus
    • This all adds up however, for at $75 a stylus, I don't feel like replacing too many of them for free for staff
  • complete destruction/loss of laptops due to staff careless e.g. destroyed by tripping on the power cord when walking past their desk or leaving it on the subway on a (personal) holiday overseas.

I'd be interested how other schools approach these. I'm considering proposing to our leadership team that multiple losses of similar items (e.g. SP4 stylus) at some point becomes either a personal or departmental cost for the individual. This might perhaps encourage a more cautious approach to using them.

On the taking of school laptops on personal holidays - my preference would be to prevent this entirely, however if decided this is too draconian, then to require personal travel insurance that specifically lists the school laptop for full replacement value. I've found that staff can not use personal insurance to claim lost school property since they don't own it (unless it is on travel insurance and specifically named). Failure to take out travel insurance would mean staff have to personally replace the cost of the device.

We don't take out school insurance on laptops - at a $5000 premium it makes no sense to claim on one off losses (although we have started building in insurance on Surface Pro 4 leases - around $150 over 3 years of the lease and allows for up to one replacement per year). Instead, we have a "risk management" pool - generally between 5-10% of the lease fleet of laptops that we purchase outright and use as parts / spares for replacements.

If you have a moment to share how your school approaches this I'd be grateful.

Cheers
Sam

Joel Chandler

May 30, 2016, 9:06:25 PM5/30/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if this helps but our approach is that if it is mobile it's BYOD ... We will put in place ways to access educational pricing and compensate in other ways but in general as sad as it is to say... Unless it's "theirs" they don't care... as a general rule.

We expect that if you have borrowed school property it needs to be returned in approximately the same state - whether you photocopy the equipment to show that this is what went out and this is what comes back..

Accidents do happen and the faculties/heads may decide what is going to happen in terms of costs but either way the device needs to be returned in a suitable state.

We do use some chromebooks in the primary but at those costs and robustness generally we don't even worry about warranty beyond statutory. I think we worked out 1 in 4 could be replaced per year and we would still be ahead.

Joel Chandler
Dean of Teaching and Learning

Emerald Christian College

PO BOX 1993 Emerald Qld 4720
Phone: 07 4982 0977
Fax: 07 4982 0244
Email: off...@ecc.qld.edu.au
Website: http://www.ecc.qld.edu.au

Patrick Dunford

May 30, 2016, 10:47:57 PM5/30/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I take it this is not TELA lease, you can make the staff member pay the excess charge on indemnity repairs or require them to pay the third of the lease cost that the MOE doesn't subsidise.

Sam McNeill

May 30, 2016, 10:58:45 PM5/30/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
HI Patrick,

Yes, not TELA in this instance.

Joel - are your "teacher laptops" BYOD as well? If so, that is quite a different model from us where we provide teachers a laptop.

Cheers
sam