NCEA Equipment requirments

Matthew Strickland

Nov 3, 2015, 6:50:16 PM11/3/15
to Techies for schools
Hi all,

Not sure if anyone one here deals with equipment required for NCEA exams particularly in performing arts areas?

Requirements like creation of DVD's for Drama whereas moderation is accepted via USB stick copied straight from the camera.
There are also DVD's/CD's to be played (Music/Languages/Dance) (most of our laptops don't have a drive, and don't come with one)

I often provide the support as the teachers cannot be directly involved, but its becoming quite backwards in terms of technology used (often students placed in rooms where that stuff isn't available)

It looks to be several more years before digital assessment starts to take off across the curriculum (2020?).

Matt

Alistair Baird

Nov 3, 2015, 7:07:20 PM11/3/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I have put the songs off a cd onto an internal website so they can be downloaded as an mp3 before for music exams - think I used iTunes or something to rip it. I also have a portable DVD writer that comes in very handy for that sort of stuff.

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 990 259

Mike Etheridge

Nov 3, 2015, 7:33:57 PM11/3/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
$50 for an ok USB DVD rewriter from pbtech or similar. Hopefully NZQA get with the programme vis a vis media at some stage…

Mike

Matthew Strickland

Nov 3, 2015, 7:55:50 PM11/3/15
to Techies for schools
I have a few LG external ones I've purchased which do the job.

Creating the DVD is more the issue, DVD maker was dropped in anything higher than Windows 7 so its either Adobe Encore or 3rd party software.
(we don't create DVD's for anything other than NZQA)

Personally I prefer converting audio stuff to a digital file (MP3), but it just depends on the supervisor - some have never used a laptop before.

Matt

On 4 November 2015 at 12:50, Matthew Strickland <ma...@zebis.co.nz> wrote:
[...]

Mike Etheridge

Nov 3, 2015, 8:37:53 PM11/3/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Anyone on the staff got a Mac? DVD creation a no-brainer on that OS.

Mike

Matthew Strickland

Nov 3, 2015, 11:43:40 PM11/3/15
to Techies for schools
Hi Mike,

Yeah - Things are easier on the Mac for those sorts of things - I'll probably use an older iMac with a DVD drive :)
Our new ones don't have DVD drives and I haven't bought externals.

A few of our staff have Macs although I prefer not to disturb this time of year :)

Matt

WHS Ict Technician

Nov 4, 2015, 5:29:25 PM11/4/15
to Techies for schools
If you need to create any kind of optical media on windows, "imgburn" is the software to use. Free, works.