10Gbps backbone

Arnold Santos

Jun 13, 2015, 3:01:30 AM6/13/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Just wanted to get your opinion for this. We all know how fast technology is moving forward and it's time for another round of SNUP. I just wondering if we really need a 10Gbps backbone for a network infrastructure when we are planning to move all our servers (services) into the cloud? We are looking on the possibility of cloud-based platform, either hosted it thru the Google Cloud Platform for those services that still sitting on its legacy, or totally GAFE. And possibly Google Cloud Print as well. We are trialling using the Google Cloud platform for testing purposes.  Ditching MS servers and physical host if we can, maybe to save cost and IT resources.

By the way, has anyone tried using the ChromiumOS as a replacement OS for those old school's laptop/desktop just to repurpose them? We are very pleased with the performance since we already considered these devices End-of-Life.

Any thoughts will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Arnold

trevor storr

Jun 13, 2015, 3:34:21 AM6/13/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arnold,

I can answer part of this.  A year or two ago we had a long play with http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/.   Note that chromiumos https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os is not chromeos that is used on chromebooks.   Google's chromeos is based on chromium os though and has had custom tweaks to it.   What we ended up doing is configuring lubuntu to start in kiosk mode with a few other tweaks.  This was very successful.  Some of the chromeboxes are still in use now and running on very limited hardware.  One of the jobs I have to do in the next few weeks is update this to the latest lubuntu version  ( I may even have a go at rolling chromiumos into this) and take out the proxy stuff as we are now on the N4L.  We also use directory integration and SSL interception so I'll add the SSL certificate into the mix.  We also now use cloudprint so the printers will install on a per user basis.

The time from power on to using is about 30 seconds.  If chrome is shutdown it will automatically restart the browser.

If you are a GAFE school, this is a very cost effective way to use older hardware.

Here's the documentation for what I did (I'll update it for the new version of lubuntu if required:

Download and Install Lubuntu x32 12.04 LTS

  • tick download updates while installing

  • install third party software

  • erase disk and install

Who are you - create an account

  • whsadmin  --note cannot use admin as this is a system account.  I chose whsadmin.

  • enter a password

  • do not tick auto login

  • install takes a while - go and have several coffees

Restart the machine, remove the CD, set proxy details and install remainder of software

  • login as whsadmin

  • set the update proxy.  This is required if your internet connection uses a proxy server.

sudo nano /etc/apt/apt.conf

  • and add this:

Aquire::http:Proxy”http://username:password@http://proxyipaddress:port/”;

  • save and exit by doing ctrl o (enter), ctrl x (enter)

  • add additional proxy statements for root user

sudo mc

  • add the following line to /etc/environment

export http_proxy=”username:password@http://proxyipaddress:port/”

  • and add the following to /root/.bashrc

http_proxy=http://username:password@http://proxyipaddress:port/

export http_proxy

  • now update the software

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras -y  (accept the license agreements, but note that some software will not download behind an authenticated proxy.  We will get around this by using google chrome with it’s onboard flash)

sudo apt-get install acpi-support acpid

sudo apt-get install mc

Create the student user

  • Create a  user that will be used by learners.  Later on we will auto login this account.

  • system tools ->users and groups.  Name  astudent,  advanced, user privileges allows access to printers etc.  We did not set these as we want a simple internet kiosk.

Set the screensaver

  • Preferences -> screensaver ->random screensaver

Download and install chrome browser

  • Chrome browser comes with in-built flash.  Download it from https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/  .

  • Ensure you choose the correct version for 32 bit processors.  To download chrome behind an authenticated proxy, start chromium with the proxy option.

chromium-browser  --proxy-server=http://proxyipaddress:port

  • Download google chrome from the above link.

  • Double click the downloaded  deb file to install it.  You will be prompted for sudo users password.

Autologin the astudent user

sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

  • add the following lines

autologin-user=astudent

autologin-user-timeout=0

  • ctrl o and ctrl x to exit.

Autostart chrome as the user astudent is logged in

sudo mkdir /home/astudent/.config/autostart

sudo nano /home/astudent/.config/autostart/chromekiosk.sh

  • add the following to the chromekiosk.sh

#!/bin/bash

xscreensaver -nosplash &

cat ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/Preferences | perl -pe "s/\"bottom.*/\"bottom\":$(xrandr | grep \* | cut -d'' -f4 | cut -d'x' -f2),/" > ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/Preferences

cat ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/Preferences | perl -pe "s/\"right.*/\"right\":$(xrandr | grep \* | cut -d'' -f4 | cut -d'x' -f1),/" > ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/Preferences

while true; do google-chrome  www.waimatehigh.school.nz --new-window  gmail.com --new-window  google.co.nz  --incognito --proxy-server=http://192.168.10.4:3128 --start-maximised --window-size=1280,1024; sleep 5s;

done

  • save the file,  ctrl o, ctrl x

  • make it executable

sudo chmod 755 /home/astudent/.config/autostart/chromekiosk.sh

  • run the chromekiosk script on startup

  • add the following line to /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart  and to /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu-Netbook/autostart using nano

@/home/astudent/.config/autostart/chromekiosk.sh

sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart

sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu-Netbook/autostart

  • once the line has been added, ctrl o, ctrl x

Remove unwanted menu items from the astudent account

  • Log in to the astudent account

  • right click on the taskbar, add/remove items

Download and install ofris script to recreate a ‘clean’ astudent desktop at boot time

sudo /home/whsadmin/Downloads/dafturn-ofris.sh

  • Choose option 2, enter the name of the user you wish to ‘Deep freeze’  (astudent)

  • exit

cheers

Trevor

Trevor Storr
Director of eLearning, CantaNET http://educo.vln.school.nz
Waimate High School
Waimate
New Zealand

Patrick Dunford

Jun 13, 2015, 3:37:22 AM6/13/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I have looked at Chromium OS, the problem is getting prebuilt packages and driver support.

trevor storr

Jun 13, 2015, 3:45:41 AM6/13/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Which is why we used lubuntu instead.  Lubuntu will have all the required drivers for older hardware.  Having looked here though:
you can build compile your own and include particular drivers if you wish.  Someone has already do it for the ubiquitous Broadcom ones.

This one looks like one I will try.

Arnold Santos

Jun 13, 2015, 4:25:35 AM6/13/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trevor,

I'm using the daily-built from http://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress/, both x86 and Amd64 version has been tested on different models of desktop and laptop. We have a bunch of Acer AspireOne D250 netbooks that has been gathering dust due to that they were very slow on Windows but when we install ChromiumOS it was like given a second life. All drivers automatically installed. Some tweaks needed like installing flash,pdf and mp3 plugins but its not major. Had an issue with Broadcomm driver and Synaptics touchpads before on other model of netbooks but still able to get it thru community.

Now thinking if I can enrolled this machine to Google Management console like a real chromebook and received all the settings from it. That will be my next step.

Lubuntu was my previous choice before but having a second thought because based on my experience, if they are not familiar with the OS, they tend not to use them. Since they are already exposed with chromebooks and ChromeOS, it will be easy to say that they are just the same.

Cloudprint and Papercut is in next issue to ponder with.

Questions with security from this built is also in my mind. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Regards,
Arnold

Arnold B. Santos
ICT Systems Administrator
Queenstown Primary School

________________________

Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.8
Apple Certified Support Professional
10.8

This email may contain confidential information intended for the recipient. If you receive this email in error please contact me.
330.gif

gre...@staff.cbhs.school.nz

Jun 13, 2015, 4:52:55 AM6/13/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
How does having (most or all) services hosted off-site rather than on-site affect (reduce) the backbone requirements to support edge devices?
Do clients collectively have a reduced demand for bandwidth when being served by the cloud?

- Ben.

Arnold Santos

Jun 13, 2015, 5:08:08 AM6/13/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,

At the moment, we already have a 1Gbps fibre backbone from core to edges, most edge-switches were already replaced with Giga-switch, wifi AP's is already on gigaport, since our internet connection runs from N4L is only on 100mbps will there be any beneficial effect if we change the core to edge to 10Gbps?

Just a thought when the design comes in from a consultant who may insist the need.

Regards,

Arnold

Tim Harper

Jun 13, 2015, 5:49:32 AM6/13/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arnold,

Collect some stats on current use.  Look at your switches and see what they are reporting use as being.  If necessary set up some SNMP monitoring (use eg Cacti on a virtual Ubuntu box) and collect some hard facts first.

I seriously doubt you will need 10Gb/s at this stage, especially as none of your schools have better than 100Mb/s to the interrnet.

If a consultant says you need 10Gb/s on any of your school networks then I think I would find another consultant!  Are any of your schools in line for the SNUP-upgrade that is happening at the moment?  (I know that MoE are revisiting all the Central Lakes Trust SNUP-equivalent funded schools from 2007/2008 to fill in any gaps especially given the massive roll growth in our area.)  if you are then the SNUP process will give you the latest/greatest AT gear at the best price you will ever get.

regards,

Tim Harper

Phone 0800 755 966 option 2 then 3 (SchoolZone)
Phone 03 443 5167 (DDI)
Mobile 027 443 1236
Fax 03 443 0491

t...@mtaspiring.school.nz
www.mtaspiring.school.nz

gre...@staff.cbhs.school.nz

Jun 13, 2015, 5:58:10 AM6/13/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I phrased my question to try to encourage critical thinking in this direction :)

Indeed, with your internet connection being the bottleneck for internet services, more-so with each service that you move to the cloud (after considering the pros and cons), there is likely to be no benefit to a faster internal backbone.

But, consider that internet connection speeds increase by an order of magnitude every six years. Assuming that his holds true, a significant factor in your infrastructure design decision may be how long do you expect it to last? If you plan to replace every five years then there may be no point in 10gig this time around. If you want ten years from your network hardware then the opposite may be true.

I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all answer. The site topology is very significant - e.g.:
* If you have a large number of cabinets each serving a small number of clients, connected in a perfect star (ignoring any backup links) back to your comms and/or server room, then your "network backbone" may really be the backbone speed of the central switch stack which is going to be 10+gig already.
* If you have a branching tree type topology, a hand-me-down upgrade cycle may make (both economic and technical) sense, purchasing new inner-most switches only.
* They may be a choice-of-hardware option that allows key links to be upgraded to 10gig in the future without excessive wastage of investment.

If SNUP is involved, then the best plan is probably whatever they will fund.

- Ben.

trevor storr

Jun 14, 2015, 2:07:03 AM6/14/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arnold,

I'm just about to start playing with those builds as well :-) - but I may need to add some drivers :(

There's a couple of things that I think I understand here, but could be wrong and I need to research a little further.  The first is that I can't find an official update repo for chromiumos.  This means that to get updates (security and features) we have to rely on someone elses dev server (http://chromium.arnoldthebat.co.uk/  in this case) or do it our selves.   The other is that it looks like incorporating homebuild chromiumos devices into the google admin console maybe possible:

The lubuntu how-to I shared presents users with a browser ready for gmail sign-in.  It is set to auto update from the lubuntu repos.  While it is not chromeos, it's locked down to do everything from the browser so the user experience is one of only using chrome browser.  The user does not get to see lubuntu at all - just the chrome browser.  The scripts auto-login to a student account (on the local machine) and an incognito browser is fired up.  If the browser is closed, another browser session is started.

I can certainly see the desirability of homebuild chromiumos and if I get some time will investigate this further.

330.gif

Arnold Santos

Jun 14, 2015, 2:34:37 AM6/14/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trevor,

The build the comes from arnoldthebat uses it's own devserver update (hosted by him) http://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress/2014/05/10/dev-server-update/ , what I noticed is the latest build is doing the auto-update itself, just like ChromeOS.

I even test the x86 version (32bit) with only 512mb of ram on old,old laptops and still good, you may want to install some plugins to see it this will suites your environment. Casting to chromecast is like a charm! Once I logged an account, all their settings under the Google management consoles like apps, and settings appears as well.

Hope this help you.

Regards,
Arnold
330.gif

Arnold Santos

Jun 14, 2015, 5:07:58 AM6/14/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

Will do to install another VM with Cacti and see what's going on from there. Just wondering from those school that is already done SNUPped or will be, will they have an option to choose a brand/model of their preferred hardware e.g. switches or is it only AT that is supplied?

Regards,

Arnold
330.gif

Tim Harper

Julian Davison

Jun 14, 2015, 6:00:32 PM6/14/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Back in the day, AT was the ‘preferred provider’ though they were open to an alternative if a good case could be made for it – in the case I was involved in there was an existing infrastructure that was already at the required standard (though not as complete as desired) so using AT would have involved replacing many devices with new gear that really only differed in having the ‘AT’ badge on them.

Even if that’s not the norm any longer, always ask them J

Cheers, Julian

Julian Davison
Technical Consultant
Decision1 IT Solutions Ltd
PO Box 368
Dunedin
P 03 471 8232
F 03 471 8234
W www.decision1.co.nz
E jul...@decision1.co.nz

Note:
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please contact the sender immediately by return email or by telephone on +64 3 4718232.  In this case please do not act in reliance on this email or any attachments, and destroy all copies of them. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not necessarily of Decision1 IT Solutions Ltd.

trevor storr

Jun 14, 2015, 7:22:29 PM6/14/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arnold,

my point about the 3rd party update repo was that using this as the source of updates relies on an individual.  This may be ok.  But arnoldthebat.co.uk may not be around for the lifetime of our/your homerolled chromeboxes so it may be wise to consider using a dev server that is more robust or redundant.  I can't find an official, public dev server - can you? It may be something that those here interested in running chromium os may wish to work together on.

Lubuntu, of course, uses the canonical repos so does not have this problem.

Patrick Dunford

Jun 15, 2015, 1:02:24 AM6/15/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I just got one of the builds to boot on a computer and guess what, no network driver. So which system is going to have better driver support?

--
Patrick Dunford
System Administrator

trevor storr

Jun 15, 2015, 11:16:03 PM6/15/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
lubuntu will have better hardware support, especially legacy hardware.

I've typing this from chromiumos running off a usb stick on a Tecra Z50.  It's very, very nice, but I don't see a huge difference between it and the lubuntu chrome kiosk that we already have used.

The biggest issues I see are :  a slightly less robust update mechanism, policies are not easily applied to the device - it requires it's own policy server; central control of device polices is not easy.  For lubuntu chromebox the update mechanism is more robust.

Patrick Dunford

Jun 16, 2015, 7:29:21 AM6/16/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a better plan. I don’t see why Chromium OS is the only thing going, any OS that just runs Chrome(ium) as effectively a shell and is nice and light is suitable. We run into the problem that Chromium doesn’t have official Google support for Windows platform and the driver problems with it.
image001.gif