Re: [techies-for-schools] Digest for techies-for-schools@googlegroups.com - 11 updates in 3 topics

flow in

Dec 10, 2014, 5:13:28 PM12/10/14
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
i tried the wpad method - using DHCP to send out the wpad details, with multiple forms of wpad file hosted on our web server. can't say i got it to work, tbh. had to manually set proxy settings to get the chomebook to make it through to google. worked for everything else (except osx 1.7 and up, which broke it)
our proxy was an authenticating one, though.

--

Westland High School logo

Flow In, MA hons Cantab, MSc | ICT Technician | WESTLAND HIGH SCHOOL

Phone: 03 755 6054 | Cell: 022 027 5107 | Fax: 03 755 6269 | i...@westlandhigh.school.nz
PO Box 154, 140 Hampden Street, Hokitika 7842
http://www.westlandhigh.school.nz/

WHAKATERE I Ā TĀTOU HAERENGA - NAVIGATING OUR JOURNEYS

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

On 11 December 2014 at 09:26, <techies-f...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Patrick Dunford <kahuk...@gmail.com>: Dec 09 03:48PM -0800

Yes we are.

I realise there is this chicken and egg situation, the Chromebook needs to
somehow get its console settings from the internet but the network it is
connected to has a proxy that may block those settings.

On Monday, 8 December 2014 16:45:30 UTC+13, Bevan McNaughton wrote:
Bevan McNaughton <bevan.mc...@southlandgirls.school.nz>: Dec 10 12:59PM +1300

In most cases I just create a temporary Wireless Network for provisioning
devices (open or a simple WPA key) to get them to get the settings in the
first place. Usually it's without any filtering on it at all. Once done &
it's on the school configured WLAN I just turn off the provisioning
A.P/SSID.

--
Bevan McNaughton
Intranet Manager

Southland Girls' High School
328 Tweed Street
Invercargill 9812

Phone: +64 3 211 6030
Fax: +64 3 216 9010
Patrick Dunford <kahuk...@gmail.com>: Dec 09 04:45PM -0800

This sounds kind of messy, is this a manual step each time, turning the
wireless on/off.

We had on the Ipads we could send a profile to the ipad that expired after
a certain time, they would be connecting to an open network for that period
which gives them long enough to install any updates needed, and then switch
to the restricted wireless system after that time.

On Wednesday, 10 December 2014 12:59:52 UTC+13, Bevan McNaughton wrote:
trevor storr <tre...@storr.org.nz>: Dec 10 07:05PM +1300

Have done both - temp wireless and a proxy exclusion list. The latter
works best.
"Patrick Dunford" <kahuk...@gmail.com>: Dec 11 02:01AM +1300

Can you find me the list of sites you mentioned because I haven’t yet been able to find anything like that.

I have managed to discover I will need to set WPAD option in DHCP to get it to autoconfigure the proxy when they connect to the student wireless network.

Thanks

On 10 December 2014 at 12:48, Patrick Dunford <kahuk...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes we are.

I realise there is this chicken and egg situation, the Chromebook needs to somehow get its console settings from the internet but the network it is connected to has a proxy that may block those settings.

On Monday, 8 December 2014 16:45:30 UTC+13, Bevan McNaughton wrote:
Are you using the ChromeBook Management Console for your Chomrbooks?
https://www.google.co.nz/chrome/business/devices/features-management-console.html

On 5 December 2014 at 14:01, Patrick Dunford <kahuk...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am trying to get one of our Chromebooks to work on a proxy but I want it to use the WPAD to automatically config the proxy if possible. This however doesn't seem to work well.

Has anyone tried out this sort of thing with a Chromebook?

Almost need some system to authenticate their Google Apps logon to the proxy, would make life a lot simpler...

Bevan McNaughton
Intranet Manager

Southland Girls' High School
328 Tweed Street
Invercargill 9812

Phone: +64 3 211 6030
Fax: +64 3 216 9010

Bevan McNaughton
Intranet Manager

Southland Girls' High School
328 Tweed Street
Invercargill 9812

Phone: +64 3 211 6030
Fax: +64 3 216 9010

Hi all,

We are in a stage of reviewing how our infrastructure should be for next
year 2015. Given the fact that nowadays all are opting to use the cloud as
their storage. I'm just wondering should we just release all our
school-owned devices from being managed by MS AD and treat them as their
own device and use the common Google Drive as main storage and just give
rights of access to the particular group. Since every device nowadays are
capable of accessing them, why not maximize the use of it. We have a pods
of netbooks, macbooks, ipad and chromebooks and instead of having a local
shared folder, why not use the drive for it. All docs and files readily
accessible by then, bandwith should not be an issue I suppose since we are
already on Fibre (N4L). BYOD are already established and being used, but
need to be fully utilized. Printing are only be done thru teacher and not
by the student. The use of Google Apps for Educ are the primary tools
instead of MS Office suite or Apple iWorks, but they can still upload their
files if they insist.

Anyone who would like to gives an idea are most welcome.

Regards,

Arnold
Gerard MacManus <task...@gmail.com>: Dec 10 01:25PM +1300

I can think of a couple of reasons to leave them on ad, mainly around maintenance and troubleshooting, wifi access, windows updates and general software rollout a through group policy. Antivirus.

Gerard MacManus
St Bedes College

Arnold Santos <arn...@queenstown.school.nz>: Dec 10 01:28PM +1300

We are also using Meraki System Manager and I'm thinking will this be
sufficient to do techie stuff? We're planning to eliminate the local shared
folders as much as possible. AV should be there by default.

> email to techies-for-sch...@googlegroups.com.

*Arnold B. Santos*
ICT Systems Administrator
Queenstown Primary School
________________________

Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.8
Apple Certified Support Professional 10.8

*This email may contain confidential information intended for the
recipient. If you receive this email in error please contact me.*
Arnold Santos <arn...@queenstown.school.nz>: Dec 09 01:07PM -0800

Hi Guys,

I have this weird issue with Google Mail in pfsense on authenticated proxy,
it will comes up occassionaly as being not able to work (service not
available), but the rest of Google Apps like Drive, Calendar, etc. users
are able to use. Tried restarting the service squid and squidguard but it
seems no luck, I end up restarting the whole pfsense and it will be back
normally. Any ideas who I can resolve the issue with rebooting?

Regards,

Arnold
Andrew Godfrey <godf...@burnside.school.nz>: Dec 10 10:20AM +1300

What's the state of your state table when this happens? Maybe it is filling
up and rebooting clears out the state table before it fills up again.

*_______________________________________*

*Andrew Godfrey* | Network Manager | Burnside High School |
Christchurch | New Zealand

On 10 December 2014 at 10:07, Arnold Santos <arn...@queenstown.school.nz>
wrote:

Arnold Santos <arn...@queenstown.school.nz>: Dec 10 10:37AM +1300

I have pretty good size for the states connection. At the moment it's only
8% at of 202000. I've noticed the CPU usage is firing up to 90-95%
occasionally but remain stable at 55-68%, memory is stage at 31%, no swap
disk usage 7%. Will resetting the states gonna affect other services?

Regards,