Google Apps slow today?

Craig Knights

Aug 2, 2016, 5:41:30 PM8/2/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Anyone else or is it just us?

Google is being weird and generally slow..

ta
Craig.

Alistair Baird

Aug 2, 2016, 5:45:39 PM8/2/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
no complaints here.

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 990 259

Craig Knights

Aug 2, 2016, 5:52:33 PM8/2/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
think we were just maxing our bandwidth until the boarding house filters kicked in at 8:30am.  Sudden drop then!

Matthew Strickland

Alistair Baird

Aug 2, 2016, 5:59:07 PM8/2/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Are you all snowed in ? Boarders still in bed ??

Craig Knights

Aug 2, 2016, 6:19:43 PM8/2/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
nah it's just persisting down rain..  I think it was prob netflix, I'm going to bump the filter back from 8:30am to 8am..

cheers
CJK

Sam McNeill

Aug 3, 2016, 4:34:05 PM8/3/16
to Techies for schools
Hi Craig,

Curious about the netflix in boarding houses ... I was asked by one of the Matrons if we would unblock it, and I said a decision via the Pastoral Care committee would be needed and the question around what age rated contents students may be able to view in their rooms etc ... I never heard back so presumably the committee said no.

Have you had any issues you're aware of stemming from kids watching inappropriate content on Netflix?

cheers
Sam

Craig Knights

Aug 3, 2016, 6:00:25 PM8/3/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi, it hasn't been mentioned...

But if you were to worry about that, would you have to worry about youtube, vimeo etc as well?

We have a great deal of traffic to Asian tv sites too, as we have a good amount of students from there..

thanks,
Craig

Tim Harper

Aug 3, 2016, 6:16:17 PM8/3/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We allow Netfix etc in our hostel.  The basic thought is that this is their home and we need to make available many of the things that they would have at home.  Clearly we do not permit everything but we certainly permit many things.

regards,

Tim Harper

Phone 03 443 5167 (messages cannot be left on this number)
Mobile 027 443 1236

t...@mtaspiring.school.nz
www.mtaspiring.school.nz

Julian Davison

Aug 3, 2016, 6:21:47 PM8/3/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
If you're going with the 'like at home': do parents have the facilty to opt-out of their child having Netflix?

Craig Knights

Aug 3, 2016, 6:22:55 PM8/3/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Tim's email leads me to a related topic..

We have requests for opening boarder's access to various games, Playstation Network, Runescape, World of Tanks,, etc..

I know of one school that does..

We don't, as it would require finding out the ports required, then getting ports opened by N4L..  Yes we could do it if we managed the firewall ourselves.. But I don't think it's something I need to spend my time and/or money on..  It's just not a priority...

Thoughts?
Craig

Tim Harper

Aug 3, 2016, 6:25:31 PM8/3/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
The kids only have Netflix if their parents pay for it!

We don't have any other opt out process.

Like Craig we don't worry too much about odd-ball outbound ports for games etc either.  If we did have a specific request we would look at it on it's merits.  Of course we keep our hostel kids so busy with things that often they just want to sleep!

regards,

Tim Harper

Phone 03 443 5167 (messages cannot be left on this number)
Mobile 027 443 1236

t...@mtaspiring.school.nz
www.mtaspiring.school.nz

Alistair Baird

Aug 3, 2016, 6:30:40 PM8/3/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We have a Pokemon Go gym in our school, and have had issues with cars driving into the playground.... We have blocked it on our network, but clearly users will just switch to data to get around it. It's mainly out of hours we have the 'visitors', but our school is not ring fenced, so same principal applies really.

On 4 August 2016 at 10:22, Craig Knights <craig....@gmail.com> wrote:

Sam McNeill

Aug 3, 2016, 7:08:09 PM8/3/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We use layer 7 app filtering for the games and then used time based policies around access.

Agreed re: youtube and vimeo but you can in theory address that e.g. safe search / education youtube or rely on the "sign in to view 18yrs+ content" (which of course students can bypass).

It's a complex issue for sure - in the end, it seems the decision to not allow netflix was a pastoral care / boarding house decision rather than an ICT technical decision .... which is precisely where it should lie.

Cheers

Craig Harrison

Aug 3, 2016, 10:05:43 PM8/3/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

For our boarders we put them all in an additional AD group and then use a time based set of rules for them.  During school hours they get the same rule-set that all other students get.  This would cover the cases where they are in the boarding facility studying or on a sick day.  Outside of school hours they get a more open rule set developed in consultation with our pastoral care staff and boarding staff to more represent what other non-boarding students might have at home although typically a bit more restrictive.  Finally during the hours they are expected to be asleep a very restrictive rule set kicks in that only allows things such as OS/Security updates from the likes of MS/Apple/Symantec/etc…

Kind regards,

Craig.

Craig Harrison | Information Systems Manager | DIO | DDI. +64 9 520 9238 | Ph. +64 9 520 0221 ext.7868 | M. +64 212224107 | Helpdesk: +64 9 520 9230

| Follow Us | |

Please consider the environment before printing this email. CAUTION: The information contained in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message is prohibited. Thank you.

Simon - OBHS

Aug 4, 2016, 12:32:40 AM8/4/16
to Techies for schools
Would that one school you know of be us by change Craig K?

My list of ports for games is rather large.
Like Craig H, the hostel is governed the same as at school in terms of what is and isn't allowed during class times and breaks, to whcih becomes a little more open after school for the hostel students and we also have a staggered cut off times for each year level.

I am thinking about jut doing a more of an allow all out when it comes to ports. will keep my main rules disabled incase i need to re-enable them. This will take place once the vlans are all setup.

J B

Aug 4, 2016, 1:07:24 AM8/4/16
to Alistair Baird, techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Tried this?

https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=341148

Seems like a reasonable removal request, child safety and all.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone