What brand of Chromebook are you using?

Ros Lee

Apr 13, 2016, 4:48:46 PM4/13/16
to Techies for schools
Hi  there

We have been using Lenovo Chromebooks very happily for a while now.  We chose them for their sturdiness (they are shared among a large number of teachers and students and are subjected to a lot of wear and tear) and ease of access to a local Lenovo agent for repairs.  I have been very happy to date but have started having some issues with bad batteries and failed motherboards - all out of a batch we bought only about 15 months ago.  The failure rate is still acceptable at the moment but it has caused me to consider other brands if the problem continues.  I am wondering what brand of Chromebooks other secondary schools are using and how you rate them in terms of sturdiness and reliability.  What kind of life expectancy are you working on for budgeting purposes?

Thanks
Ros Lee
ICT Manager
Otumoetai College
Tauranga

Nick Steenson

Apr 13, 2016, 5:33:47 PM4/13/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We've just bought ~40 Lenovo 11E's, are they the model you've had failing? Having only had them for 1 term now I'm happy with them, they ARE very sturdy and seem to be doing very well in the classroom.

Nick

Ros Lee

Apr 13, 2016, 6:41:22 PM4/13/16
to Techies for schools
Yes, we are using 11e's.  On few of them the rubber edging is coming off/being picked off.  We should be able to glue that back on if we catch it in time.  No other significant issues with them.  They have been brilliant to date so hoping this charging/battery issue is not ongoing on a large scale.

Joel Chandler

Apr 13, 2016, 7:09:45 PM4/13/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We looked at the lenovo's but went with Dell (non-touchscreen) instead partially because appearance is one of the unspoken issues that affect uptake (and perceived value)

Only lost 1 in 3yrs due to being dropped on concrete and needs the monitor to be replaced.

Joel

Joel Chandler
Dean of Teaching and Learning

Emerald Christian College

PO BOX 1993 Emerald Qld 4720
Phone: 07 4982 0977
Fax: 07 4982 0244
Email: off...@ecc.qld.edu.au
Website: http://www.ecc.qld.edu.au

Bevan McNaughton

Apr 13, 2016, 10:22:35 PM4/13/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We've got a mix of Lenovo and HP ChromeBooks, we had to send one brand new Lenovo one back under warranty for a dodgy touchpad but apart from that both makes seem to perform well.
Bevan
--
Bevan McNaughton
Intranet Manager

Southland Girls' High School
328 Tweed Street
Invercargill 9812

Fax:     +64 3 216 9010
Mobile: 027 223 2144

Sue Way

Apr 14, 2016, 5:02:53 PM4/14/16
to Techies for schools
Our chromebooks get a huge amount of use

We have had Samsung XE303C12 Chromebooks for 3 years and apart form a few with a plastic port covers coming off all are still in going order and batteries are fine. We have had to replace a few monitors due to rough handling. I get these from Amazon as they are the cheapest.

Last year we bought HP Chromebooks both 11" and 14" models.. Both go well and other than a few finger prints on the white lid they are all going well, no broken monitors in 12 months. They will go all day without being charged.

Happy with both models but the HP seems a bit sturdier and the lid/monitor is more robust.

Sue Way | IT Services Director

Wellington Girls' College Pipitea Street, Thorndon, Wellington 6011 |

e: sue...@wgc.school.nz | m: 021 412 611 | p: (04) 472 5743 ex 786

WHS Ict Technician

Apr 14, 2016, 9:20:49 PM4/14/16
to Techies for schools
we have 20 acer  CB5-311s, in use for about a year

they are lightweight, with good screens (my call - i preferred screen real estate over touch capabilities)

We've lost one due to vandalism (scratched screen) and i've had to fix the touchpad on another (plastic 'springs' is a definite point of failure over time)

Good enough for the money, although the next lot we'll probably not get warranties on.

Andrew Godfrey

Apr 15, 2016, 1:20:46 AM4/15/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
HP 70 x 11" and 50 x 14" have been going very well for us.

Recovered a stolen one after 6 months as we had restricted logins to our own domain only and don't delete profiles on logout which allows us to view login history (and "Never show user names and photos" which prevents the user having to scroll through a hundred profiles looking for their's which may not even be there anyway).

Those are shared devices which go through many, many hands as they get booked out and returned up to 5 times every school day.

Andrew Godfrey  |  Network Manager

Ros Lee

Jul 12, 2016, 5:37:05 PM7/12/16
to Techies for schools
I know this post is old now but I just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback.  Very useful!!