Chromebooks and proxy

Patrick Dunford

Dec 4, 2014, 8:01:49 PM12/4/14
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to get one of our Chromebooks to work on a proxy but I want it to use the WPAD to automatically config the proxy if possible. This however doesn't seem to work well.

Has anyone tried out this sort of thing with a Chromebook?

Almost need some system to authenticate their Google Apps logon to the proxy, would make life a lot simpler...

Bevan McNaughton

Dec 7, 2014, 10:45:30 PM12/7/14
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Are you using the ChromeBook Management Console for your Chomrbooks?

Bevan McNaughton
Intranet Manager

Southland Girls' High School
328 Tweed Street
Invercargill 9812

trevor storr

Dec 8, 2014, 1:03:13 AM12/8/14
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
try letting the url/ips required for cb authentication through the proxy without requiring authentication.  There's a list of them on line somewhere - google large deployment best practices.

cheers

Trevor

Trevor Storr
Director of eLearning, CantaNET http://educo.vln.school.nz
Waimate High School
Waimate
New Zealand

Patrick Dunford

Dec 9, 2014, 6:48:04 PM12/9/14
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Yes we are.

I realise there is this chicken and egg situation, the Chromebook needs to somehow get its console settings from the internet but the network it is connected to has a proxy that may block those settings.

On 5 December 2014 at 14:01, Patrick Dunford <kahuk...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am trying to get one of our Chromebooks to work on a proxy but I want it to use the WPAD to automatically config the proxy if possible. This however doesn't seem to work well.

Has anyone tried out this sort of thing with a Chromebook?

Almost need some system to authenticate their Google Apps logon to the proxy, would make life a lot simpler...

Bevan McNaughton

Dec 9, 2014, 6:59:52 PM12/9/14
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
In most cases I just create a temporary Wireless Network for provisioning devices (open or a simple WPA key) to get them to get the settings in the first place. Usually it's without any filtering on it at all. Once done & it's on the school configured WLAN I just turn off the provisioning A.P/SSID.

Patrick Dunford

Dec 9, 2014, 7:45:34 PM12/9/14
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
This sounds kind of messy, is this a manual step each time, turning the wireless on/off.

We had on the Ipads we could send a profile to the ipad that expired after a certain time, they would be connecting to an open network for that period which gives them long enough to install any updates needed, and then switch to the restricted wireless system after that time.

On 10 December 2014 at 12:48, Patrick Dunford <kahuk...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

trevor storr

Dec 10, 2014, 1:05:37 AM12/10/14
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Have done both - temp wireless and a proxy exclusion list.   The latter works best.

Patrick Dunford

Dec 10, 2014, 8:02:14 AM12/10/14
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Can you find me the list of sites you mentioned because I haven’t yet been able to find anything like that.

I have managed to discover I will need to set WPAD option in DHCP to get it to autoconfigure the proxy when they connect to the student wireless network.

Thanks