Looking for an electrical engineering / Arduino / Raspberry hacker

Scott Andre

Apr 22, 2015, 12:28:55 PM4/22/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I design interactive exhibits, and we are working on a project that involves a large platform scale that visitors can step on to. It has a large platform, and could hold up to 10 people. The message behind this particular piece is the idea that when it comes to environmental issues, we can do more when we come together as a community.

Here’s where I need help. The scale, which is a commercial loading dock model which we have purchased, comes with an LCD display unit. What I want, instead, is for that signal from the scale to be translated to a series of lights, say 20, that light up as the weight on the scale increases. There is no need for accuracy for our purposes. Our fabricators will build the display, with it’s lights, but we need help with the circuitry and programming.

I don’t know the best way to tackle this, but I am assuming that the scale sends out a signal of some sort over its output wires that could be interpreted/hacked, and translated via a simple program into triggering this series of circuits.

Arduino? Rasperberry? Something along those lines.

We have money, not unlimited, but sufficient, I think, to pay for this work.

Call or email!

Scott Andre

Eric Osterberg

Apr 22, 2015, 1:18:13 PM4/22/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Do you have any technical details about the scale you have?
Model number for the LCD display?

Jude Dornisch

Apr 24, 2015, 12:06:03 AM4/24/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Yes We can do this but as Eric says the model number of the scale would be really helpful in giving you a good answer.
Cattle scales usually have a printer output also. Some now have USB. This may be trivial or complex depending on the scale and model

kmurp...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2015, 7:55:24 AM4/27/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I’m assuming it’s using 1 or more load cells to measure the weight. If you can find out what the make/model of those cells are it would help in learning how much work it is to hack it.

Sent from Windows Mail