Speaking of lasers...

Jim Wygralak

Apr 26, 2015, 12:24:41 PM4/26/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
The reason I was trying to send email to la...@tcmaker.org

There was a guy in here trying to run the laser this morning. RetinaEngrave was failing to connect to the laser, even though all the network cables and lights appeared to be right.

I suggested he try turning it off and back on again, then the computer failed to boot with "Disk Error Press Any Key to Restart"

After another power cycle the computer booted up again, but still won't connect to the laser.

Patrick Stein

Apr 26, 2015, 12:48:00 PM4/26/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Occasionally, lately, the IP addresses on the PC and the printer are coming up swapped.  There is a setting on RetinaEngrave for the IP of the printer which shows up on the LCD when the printer boots.  (I suspect DHCP weirdness.)

-- Patrick <p...@nklein.com>

kmurp...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2015, 3:07:30 PM4/26/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

Do you know if there was a usb stick plugged in when you tried power cycling the laser pc? if there was it was likely trying to boot from the usb key.  If there wasn’t we will need to get a replacement HDD and hopefully clone the hdd before it completely dies and we have to rebuild it.

Thanks,
Kelly

Sent from Windows Mail

Jeremy L

Apr 26, 2015, 7:53:51 PM4/26/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
“Disk Error Press Any Key to Restart"

Is it a windows machine?   If so, virus checker?

Jim Wygralak

Apr 26, 2015, 9:47:14 PM4/26/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I believe there was a USB key plugged in, now that you mention it.
Sounds like a bios setting tweak is in order, to keep it from booting from USB before the HD. Might not be a bad idea to have a disk image stored away somewhere, anyway, just in case.

Riley contacted me and I was able to get RetinaEngrave talking to the laser by manually entering the IP address of the laser into RE.

After all that, I noticed that the beam alignment appears to be pretty badly off. The red aiming beam is almost completely missing the final mirror. I assume that means that the main beam is similarly impaired.

Graham Smith

Apr 26, 2015, 10:11:45 PM4/26/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I can't confirm the beam alignment but I noticed the laser was failing to cut today at settings that worked in the past.

Graham

Andrew Berhow

Apr 26, 2015, 11:20:53 PM4/26/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm a problem with the beam alignment. Jude was able to tweak it a bit to get it to cut again, though I feel that it still requires more alignment.

I did change the BIOS settings to make the HD be the first in the boot list as opposed to the USB KEY it was set to. Hopefully this won't be a problem anymore if someone has a USB key in the computer.

Mike Lee

Apr 27, 2015, 10:19:26 AM4/27/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I was the guy trying to operate the computer/laser cutter Sunday morning - and yes, I initially had a USB stick plugged in when I rebooted.  I removed it and eventually got logged in - but there still was not a connection to the laser.
Anyway, it sounds like the connection is no longer an issue. Does the laser currently work properly?  The comment "though I feel that it still requires more alignment" doesn't sound promising.