Hosting a C programming hacknight

j...@begriffs.com

Feb 13, 2018, 12:47:51 AM2/13/18
to tcmaker
Hey all, I'd like to host a hack night for the Twin Cities C/C++ meetup group at Hack Factory. Is that OK?

* Any things I should be aware of, like policies for visitors?
* Are certain days of the week better than others?
* I'm thinking the classroom would be the best place for it, is there a working projector in there?

Thanks!

Michael Englehorn

Feb 13, 2018, 7:41:23 PM2/13/18
to tcm...@googlegroups.com

Joe,

That sounds fantastic! I'd like to join that meetup myself. I have answers for your questions too.

1: As long as there is a sponsoring member who is in charge of first-in and last-out, and general supervision, visitors are fine.
2: Wednesdays are bad (open house night) and the second tuesday of the month is also bad (board meeting night), I recommend checking the calendar for conflicting events. Weekends are usually pretty open.
3: The classroom would be great, and yes there is a working projector.

Thank you,
Michael Englehorn
Director & Electronics Area Manager - Twin Cities Maker

|-------------------+----------------------------------------------------|
| Michael Englehorn | mic...@englehorn.com                              |
| Twitter           | K0HAX                                              |
| Github            | https://github.com/K0HAX                           |
| GPG Fingerprint   | CC10 C6F7 517C C64C FC4B  A9D9 7502 F475 E7B6 CCB9 |
|-------------------+----------------------------------------------------|

Kelly Murphy

j...@begriffs.com

Feb 18, 2018, 12:03:32 PM2/18/18
to tcmaker
Glad to hear there's some interest! I contacted the organizer of the Twin Cities C/C++ Meetup group, and he likes the idea too. He'll talk to the group members about it at their next meeting in late Feb. We'll then schedule the hack night for March, and I'll get it on the TC Maker calendar.

What projects are you guys interested to work on? I'm curious to try writing some of the simple classic unix utilities from scratch based on what the man pages say, then compare my results with the OpenBSD source code to learn to improve my style. Would love to pair program with someone on this.

Jonathan Alt

Feb 23, 2018, 11:16:55 AM2/23/18
to tcmaker
If you send an email to Eve...@TCMaker.org we will get it on the calendar and reserve the room for you.

j...@begriffs.com

Mar 2, 2018, 8:49:14 PM3/2/18
to tcmaker
Hey all, more updates on the hack night idea. I created a meetup group for it at https://www.meetup.com/Hardcore-Hacknight

If you're interested, RSVP on the meetup page. It's Thursday the 22nd. I'll send an email to reserve the classroom.

Let's do this!